+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 146

Thread: 4/24 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

  1. #101
    FORT Fogey KeepItReal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,490

    Re: 4/24 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    I like the GT's. That being said, if it looked as if anyone was trying to deliver the knockout blow to the cowboys last night it would have been them. Justin did not outright give the answer to Jen. They made a point of showing that he said the answer out loud and Jen heard him. She then asked for confirmation and he did tell her she had the right answer. FT later basically begged for the answer and got it. The most questionable move of the night was FT riding up to Gary and handing him an answer he never even dared to ask for. Maybe I'm missing something, but while the other players saw them as a huge threat, I just didn't see the malice from all of the teams that others are seeing. We don't even know what number Jen had in mind before Justin said it out loud. Jen mentioned along the route to Justin that she had lost her map. maybe that's why they teamed up and perhaps were working together to try and get the same answer. We just don't know what was left on the cutting room floor. Again, the only blatant move I saw was FT giving Gary the answer.
    "Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace".

    -Unknown Author-

  2. #102
    FORT Fogey mesachick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    On my horse.
    Posts
    3,140

    Re: 4/24 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItReal View Post
    I like the GT's. That being said, if it looked as if anyone was trying to deliver the knockout blow to the cowboys last night it would have been them. Justin did not outright give the answer to Jen. They made a point of showing that he said the answer out loud and Jen heard him. She then asked for confirmation and he did tell her she had the right answer. FT later basically begged for the answer and got it. The most questionable move of the night was FT riding up to Gary and handing him an answer he never even dared to ask for. Maybe I'm missing something, but while the other players saw them as a huge threat, I just didn't see the malice from all of the teams that others are seeing. We don't even know what number Jen had in mind before Justin said it out loud. Jen mentioned along the route to Justin that she had lost her map. maybe that's why they teamed up and perhaps were working together to try and get the same answer. We just don't know what was left on the cutting room floor. Again, the only blatant move I saw was FT giving Gary the answer.


    Someone said this is not a social game. I disagree. Alliances have always been a part of TAR. We have watched teams, team up, many times, helping each other out on various tasks. While not a large component of the game, like it is on Survivor, being social definitely plays a part as well.

    Neither my husband nor I got the impression that anyone was out to get the Cowboys last night either. Maybe if Jet hadn't of left Gary in the dust after they talked, he would have overheard or gotten the correct answer as well.

    I like the Cowboys, and was sorry to see them go. I too, thought the placement of the double U-Turn odd. I guess the producers were banking on two teams being U-turned, and fighting it out there at the end.

  3. #103
    FORT Fogey captain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Follow the Yellow Brick Road
    Posts
    4,490

    Re: 4/24 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    I have not read/seen anywhere that there was no penatly assessed. It might be that it really did not make a difference in the long run.
    There's no place like home!

  4. #104
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,857

    Re: 4/24 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    I have not read/seen anywhere that there was no penatly assessed. It might be that it really did not make a difference in the long run.
    Don't they assess penalties regardless of whether they make any difference or not? We've seen teams lose a couple of places due to a penalty and still not be eliminated.

    I think if penalties had been assessed, we still would have seen them (or at least heard reference to them), whether they'd have mattered or not.

  5. #105
    FORT Fogey dougrayfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    1,337

    Re: 4/24 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Just watched last night's episode and I am royally pissed.

    I think a new rule needs to be instituted, if one team helps another team then they should both be forced to do another task. I personally hate it when a team does not complete a task on their own but gets the answer from another team.

    The rules in the measuring the distance task on the bike was, if you get the wrong answer you have to go back and do it again. So, how many teams got the answer from another team and didn't get the answer on their own? I really hate that. And, how can you say you deserve to win the game when you didn't actually do everything yourself? I guess I'm just too honest, I certainly would be embarrased to say I was the best because I cheated.

    I kinda liked the globetrotter guys but as of today, hope they get kicked off and soon, what they pulled just sucked. They knew full well their position vs the cowboys (they just dropped off their last 2 bags and the cowboys had at least 2 more to go). All they needed to do was win a foot race. What kind of pro athletes aren't secure in their abilities that they would feel the need to force the cowboys to do the other task.

    Oh, and the goth guy? He's a WIMP!!!!! What MAN allows his girlfried to pull him in a cart? He just emasculated himself!!!!!!

    Frankly, I'm tired of this "all star" season. I'm not fond of them in general and this one in particular is very lame.

    Maybe TPTB will see some posts and re-think this lazy way of casting a season.
    Last edited by dougrayfan; 04-25-2011 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Spelling
    "Grammar is the bus that carries the words, without it they have to walk, and get very confused on the way." Unknown

    "My best friend is a person who will give me a book I have not read." Abraham Lincoln

  6. #106
    FORT Fogey jadewarlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,199

    Re: 4/24 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    Don't they assess penalties regardless of whether they make any difference or not? We've seen teams lose a couple of places due to a penalty and still not be eliminated.

    I think if penalties had been assessed, we still would have seen them (or at least heard reference to them), whether they'd have mattered or not.
    They are assessed penalties if earned, but they're not shown if they don't have an impact in the game. An example of this is when Dallas and Starr were assessed a 30 min. penalty a few seasons ago for speeding. It didn't affect the ranking so it was not shown.

    So, no, unless they have an impact or for drama, they are assessed but not shown. I do think however in this case there were no penalties assessed because they were not by the rules of the road block not breaking the rules. They had to write down the answer - not read the odometer. It allowed an opening for people to find out really quickly what the answer was or if they caught up to another player who had followed the right track, get the right mileage at that point then just copy the answer in the end.

  7. #107
    FORT Fogey Babbred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow...
    Posts
    2,904

    Re: 4/24 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by dougrayfan View Post
    Just watched last night's episode and I am royally pissed.

    I think a new rule needs to be instituted, if one team helps another team then they should both be forced to do another task. I personally hate it when a team does not complete a task on their own but gets the answer from another team.

    The rules in the measuring the distance task on the bike was, if you get the wrong answer you have to go back and do it again. So, how many teams got the answer from another team and didn't get the answer on their own? I really hate that.
    It looks like only 3 teams--Justin, Vixsyn, and Jett--did it on their own. Yes, Justin only confirmed what he had already said, but I wouldn't have even done that. Just the fact that she asked meant that she didn't know, so I still would have considered it cheating.

    As for malice, no, I don't think the other teams "had it in" for the Cowboys. As other posters have said, they did nothing to deserve it. However, I think their greed made the other teams do something that they knew was morally not right.

    And, how can you say you deserve to win the game when you didn't actually do everything yourself? I guess I'm just too honest, I certainly would be embarrased to say I was the best because I cheated.
    I hear you. I couldn't live with myself if I mooched off another team to get through a challenge.

    I kinda liked the globetrotter guys but as of today, hope they get kicked off and soon, what they pulled just sucked. They knew full well their position vs the cowboys (they just dropped off their last 2 bags and the cowboys had at least 2 more to go). All they needed to do was win a foot race. What kind of pro athletes aren't secure in their abilities that they would feel the need to force the cowboys to do the other task.
    As I said above, I didn't mind the U-Turn. That was legitimate strategy. However, giving that info to Gary was just scuzzy.

    Oh, and the goth guy? He's a WIMP!!!!! What MAN allows his girlfried to pull him in a cart? He just emasculated himself!!!!!!
    In all the fuss about the Cowboys, I forgot to comment on the Goths. I agree with whoever said that it looks like Kent just wants to give up now. Ever since Vixsyn had her meltdown and he pullled her through, it seems like he just gives up each episode and she has to pull him through. He gives off the distinct vibe of having "checked out".

    Frankly, I'm tired of this "all star" season. I'm not fond of them in general and this one in particular is very lame.
    I'll wait until next week before I decide how I feel about the rest of the teams. It looked like the GT's were having a serious disagreement with another team. I really, really hope somebody feels ashamed about their behavior on the roadblock next week, or I, too, may consider giving up on this season.


    Maybe TPTB will see some posts and re-think this lazy way of casting a season.
    I don't mind having an all-star season; it was fun seeing some of my favorite teams again. Count me in, though, as saying that they need to change the rule on puzzle challenges.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

    Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

  8. #108
    FORT Fanatic mushybrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    779

    Re: 4/24 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Cowboys classy as ever. I'll bet their families and friends are incredibly proud of them.

    'Amazing Race' Cowboys Jet And Cord: Our Only Alliance Was Each Other | XFINITY TV News
    "Everything you do matters. Every moment, every decision you make it affects the people around you it changes the world in a million imperceptible ways. No matter what your reality, you can make it better." -- Richard Castle

  9. #109
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,857

    Re: 4/24 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by mushybrain View Post
    Cowboys classy as ever. I'll bet their families and friends are incredibly proud of them. 'Amazing Race' Cowboys Jet And Cord: Our Only Alliance Was Each Other | XFINITY TV News
    I'm impressed that Jet knew as soon as he returned to the start of the roadblock that the others had to be working together, and he didn't really show any obvious irritation (at least none that we saw) until a few seconds of it when he saw that the GTs had u-turned them. I would have been furious that I had done the task honestly and some people hadn't--and yeah, I know working together was not, technically, against the rules but as others have pointed out, that doesn't mean that it's something everyone would consider fair, at least not to the point of simply giving/accepting the right answer.

    I think their explanation of why it didn't occur to them to try and play an alliance based game makes sense too, at least in terms of how they feel about the game. Sounds like they wanted to win or lose on their own and didn't really want to be in a position where they'd have to turn on someone with whom they had an alliance, because they knew that was likely to happen at some point (and they're right about that), and it would make them uncomfortable to do that. To some people, that might seem naive or not strategic, but if it's what suited them personally, then to do something else wouldn't have been right for them beyond the game--as they said, they didn't want to race in a way that left them with regrets. Do I particularly want to see them race again? No, but that's just because I think twice is enough for any team. I don't want AR to end up like Survivor where people return again and again and again. But if they (or any number of other teams) were to be hosts at a pit stop or a road block, I'd be fine with that. It might even be kind of fun if they had a season where it helped to have some knowledge of previous seasons to figure out clues etc., so long as the contestants knew ahead of time that they were racing in a season with that kind of theme (though I'm thinking of it as a fairly minimal theme that wouldn't overly control the feel of the race). Just finding Jet and Cord's tiny hometown in Oklahoma might be a challenge for people not used to traveling in rural, western areas.

  10. #110
    FORT Fogey Minney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,443

    Re: 4/24 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by mushybrain View Post
    Cowboys classy as ever. I'll bet their families and friends are incredibly proud of them.

    'Amazing Race' Cowboys Jet And Cord: Our Only Alliance Was Each Other | XFINITY TV News
    Thank you for that incredible interview! Just love these guys and wish they would run the race with their wives!

    There are a couple of moments in TAR history that have tainted the show and caused uproars such as this past episode. The ones I can think of off hand was when a plane came back after pulling away from the ramp to pick up a team. I think this was going into the final leg and they needed the drama. The second tainted moment was just a couple of seasons ago when a team bumped to First Class and hence deboarded the plane much quicker than the remaining teams. Both of these moments caused such uproars that while I don't recall public statements from TPTB, they've never been allowed to happen since. Maybe, just maybe, the sharing of info to the point a team does not even attempt a challenge, and the late U-turn has created enough dissatisfaction among viewers that TPTB will make a few changes in the rules and leg creations.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.