+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 4/24 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 4/24 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Very sorry to see the Cowboys go.
    I've loved them both seasons. Drama free, kind, non-argumentative and very gentlemanly. Kudos to them.
    I did understnad why the GT's U-turned them and I do think the GT's voiceover was spot on. Yes, the Cowboys made some errors along the race, but they always managed to pull themselves out of it and get back in. The GT's respected that.
    I'd rather teams not share answers, but it is what it is. So be it.
    What I liked most about the Cowboys was that they never wasted energy on bickering amongst themselves.
    I have no idea how anyone can get a mean vibe or anything negative from them. They were truly a class act.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

My biggest problem was really only two teams, Zev and Justin and the Cowboys, completed that task. To "give" away the answer so others were guaranteed not to have to go back to the beginning and insuring the Cowboys, whom the GT (don't know which one it was) knew had already started back, was underhanded. Maybe only the GT's knew Jet had started back so he fell twenty or so notches in my eyes as far as respecting him when he asked for the total and then he told Gary the answer. He knew what he was doing and it made him look small IMO. The challenge should have been to have 22km on their Odmeter and if not, then start over. That would have been a "fair" roadblock and they've done it in that way in past seasons. Obviously, the teams were using their Odemeters, otherwise how would they have known 22km....

I agree with many who say since other teams can't help a team with a physical task they shouldn't have the ability to help with the mental. If this were the case the GT's would have been gone already. This isn't the AR of old when the teams had to think and race for themselves. I really do miss the early seasons. It has become too much of a "buddy" system for my taste. Resulting in some really nasty personalities being exposed towards the end of the race when the teams turn on each other. IMO, AR should re-think where they place the U-turn. At the end of a leg there isn't really any chance of a U-turned team being able to catch up. I've hated the U-turn since they started it but really have a problem with it being placed right before a pit-stop. They probably justified it by saying two teams could have been U-turned. And that is true but it didn't happen. Strategically, the first teams should have U-turned someone. The way to play would be to knock out your opponents whom you think you will have problems with later in the race, even if you are in first place. Too many teams are worried about being "liked" by the others so don't do it. Even what the GT said at the end to "justify" the U-turn was a wimpy a** excuse to make him(really don't know which one rode the bike) look better for the unsportmanship conduct he engaged in earlier. "Please still like us even though we helped other teams by-pass the roadblock and knock out a team we are afraid of".

To me the whole episode just reeked of unsportsmanship. It is one of the only times I have watched AR and have it leave a bad taste in my mouth. I seriously thought last night that I probably wouldn't watch the rest of the season. It's not because the Cowboys were my favorites. I've had many teams I liked fall before the finals and may teams I hated win the whole she-bang. But still watched to the end. This just left me and my whole family with a very icky feeling.

The Cowboys were classy to the end. Still did the second challenge with a smile and left with grace. Kudos to them. AR would do itself good to cast players like these young men.
    Some Heros wear capes....mine wears combat boots and kevlar....

I have to agree on the cowboys and the second challenge - they knew they were most likely out so it looked like they were having fun with the food challenge. Cannot blame them there - they'd then not have indigestion from the food.

BTW, since no one has mentioned it, I loved Zev's Johnny Appleseed impression at the pit stop. And what made it better was he kept a straight face about it as though that was what you were supposed to do.

I also liked Phil's reaction to Mallory at the pit stop. Too funny.
    "Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace".

-Unknown Author-

FORT Fogey

Some of what people may see as Cord and Jet's lack of interest in making friends and influencing people may also have to do with the fact that they're, well, cowboys. I don't mean to stereotype, because no image is universally applicable to any group, but it isn't uncommon for western guys with very traditional western interests like the rodeo etc. to be somewhat reserved emotionally, especially with people they don't know all that well. It's not that they're unfriendly. They may be very polite and helpful, but they're not going to dump their life stories in your lap immediately, nor are they going to be particularly comfortable if you do that. Let's just say they'd be lousy guests on Dr. Phil or any show like that.

Jet and Cord, by all accounts are also very close, a closeness that was heightened when Cord suffered a serious injury, and they weren't sure for a while how much of a recovery he'd be able to make. That intense reliance on each other may also have something to do with the way others were viewing them--though everyone seemed to be getting along with them fairly well when they were playing basketball with the GTs. I can see why they'd be happy to do that but might be less forthcoming in dinner table conversation etc. just because they're more comfortable in a competitive athletic situation (even if the game was just for fun). It probably doesn't help any that the town they were raised in--and still live in or near, I think--was tiny (under 400 in population). If you live in a place so small you pretty much know everyone, there's not much call for making small talk with strangers.

Incidentally, when I went looking for information about last night's episode, I accidentally wandered into an article about Jet and Cord when they were just teenagers and positively burning up the rodeo circuit in a way guys who are eighteen or nineteen just don't normally do. Ty Murray (of DWTS fame) was very complimentary about their abilities. And Cord won his first rodeo event at age five. Jet was, I think, eight or nine when he won his. Obviously they were competing with other kids, not adults, but still....

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    I have to agree on the cowboys and the second challenge - they knew they were most likely out so it looked like they were having fun with the food challenge. Cannot blame them there - they'd then not have indigestion from the food.

BTW, since no one has mentioned it, I loved Zev's Johnny Appleseed impression at the pit stop. And what made it better was he kept a straight face about it as though that was what you were supposed to do.

Apparently, they knew perfectly well that they were out, so they didn't rush through the fondue but took their time and had a couple of beers while they were at it. Can't say as I blame them either. It would have been pointless to make themselves sick.

And I did mention the fondue pot on Justin's head--was Zev the one wearing it? Man, I was having a bad time with names last night....

Zev had it on. It was too funny.

Love that Jet and Cord had a couple beers with the fondue and tried to really enjoy their last meal on the show. Laughed when they said "see you next year!" as they left...wonder what that was all about??

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post

Love that Jet and Cord had a couple beers with the fondue and tried to really enjoy their last meal on the show. Laughed when they said "see you next year!" as they left...wonder what that was all about??

Probably just kidding. Even if they were given another shot at the race, there's no way there would be another All Star season so close to this one.

Unless they've decided to send the Amazing Race through Oklahoma next year and signed the Cowboys up to hand out the next clue at one of the stops. Or be the hosts at the pit stop. That might be a fun idea, not just for the Cowboys but for some other teams from the past too, who might not want to race again but would be fine with handing out clues or checking answers at a check point. It would be a way to see old favorites while still letting new racers take their turn at the actual competition.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post

Zev has just been a joy to watch - he can be annoying sure, but when he has fun, he really has some corkers, such as the white satin PJ's and then this.

I didn't realize they had beers with the fondue - but I guess they were playing odds they were out and just had fun. It would've been sad - seeing that and then Phil saying they were still in the race because then it'd be "You wasted time enjoying yourselves in that challenge and now you're like four hours behind."

Then again, they've been further back and placed, so who knows what've happened."

As far as the next year comment - as much as I liked them, I know they won't be back - at least contestants. They've never had three-peaters here, and I don't think they'll do that for the sake of this show's credibility. I like that when they do all-stars it's one more chance.

I wouldn't mind seeing them greet people at the mat or say be helpers in say an International rodeo, but nope, they're going to not be in the show again ... UNLESS CBS determines that the way this particular leg was run was totally unfair and they feel that the teams didn't complete the challenge, and that with the penalties that should've been incurred (their opinion) Jet and Cord should've still been in the race.

By this, I mean that say assessing the teams who were handed the answers by other teams were assessed say a 30 minute penalty plus the time it would've taken for them to go down and back from the start (say 1-1/2 hours total, penalty plus mileage), while the cowboys ran the leg clean they passed at least the Globetrotters and possibly another team at the figurative pit stop. Meaning, the team shouldn't have been out, but instead the Globetrotters (going by the original standings here).

That is the ONLY way I see them back - if CBS determines that the outcome of this leg was affected by an error on their part (choosing to make the players write down the answer instead of using the odometer as the check) for this particular roadblock and feel that it's only fair to give the cowboys another chance.

(Please note, I am NOT saying that they should be given a third chance, or that they'd take it if offered. I am merely speculating on the only plausible reason that the cowboys would return for another race unless non-race related).

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    Some of us didn't like it the first time it happened either, but I think part of the reason it didn't excite as much argument before is that this time it involved at least 2/3 of the teams (possibly more, depending on whether K/V were completely involved or not) and the collusion was clearly directed toward keeping one team behind, as opposed to one team helping out another they happened to like. I don't think that's fair either, but it's less egregiously obvious in its unfairness, so it got noticed less.
    Back in the very first episode of this season, when contestants were passing the answer to a challenge along to each other, I was ticked off. I have never liked this idea of being able to simply give answers so that another contestant didn't have to complete a challenge.

As for this episode, you hit it on the head, Tilden. I've worked in education for years, both elementary and high school, and I remember thinking as I watched last night that this was a case of bullying. That may sound harsh, but the other contestants, especially during the roadblock, made it clear that they were sharing information in order to exclude the cowboys. If bullying is not the right word, then maybe ostracism? Whatever you call it, I felt terribly uncomfortable and even grungy watching it.

And yes, I believe there's a difference between that and helping each other a la Kent and Gary. In that case, one contestant had not yet finished the challenge. They actually had to figure out the clues and complete the challenge. If Kent had instead told Gary, "Go here and here and here," then I would have been ticked off again.

Just for the record, who got help on this roadblock? I remember Justin telling Keisha. Then didn't she tell FT? And he told Gary. Did anybody tell Vixsyn? I know at one point she was lost, but did anybody actually give her the number? Because I thought she completed it on her own, too. Regardless, it was clear that several teams gained valuable time by not having to go back and do the challenge over, which was totally unfair to Jett. I'll bet he was really ticked off when he saw last night's episode.

And I, too, have been wondering if this is going to come back and bite the colluding contestants. They say there's no honor among thieves, and these contestants have shown they were willing to do something dodgy for personal gain. That does not bode well for the future in terms of personal interactions.

Also, this isn't supposed to be a show about "social game," the way Survivor or Big Brother is. Some fairly unpopular teams have gone very far, even won, in the past, not because they had great social games but because they completed the most legs the most efficiently. The more socially based games have fewer rules in place, while AR has penalties for not following the rules, only they seem to have forgotten to put one in place regarding sharing answers. Perhaps they felt it wouldn't ever happen to the degree to which it happened last night or wouldn't be used to eliminate a team viewed as stronger by everyone else. If so, they were being very idealistic.
    Amen.

The rules need to be changed--or enforced. If teams need to complete roadblocks to advance, then they should need to complete all aspects of those roadblocks on their own to advance. In a physical roadblock, no one is allowed to help someone else carry the load, so to speak. It should be the same for any kind of challenge--mental or physical--or some teams are given an unfair advantage in that they can approach others for help with what they find difficult while others cannot. At the very least, they should have factors in place that prevent cheating--such as reading the odometers in the roadblock last night, as opposed to just accepting an answer when there was no way to verify if the competitor had arrived at the answer on his/her own.
    Again, totally agree.

And I'll add that I had no problem with the U-Turn. That was a legitimate part of the race. I'm sure the GT were thinking they might get a lousy cab driver. It's not like that's never happened before on this show. Again, as much as I hated seeing the Cowboys get eliminated, if it had been just because of the U-Turn, I wouldn't be fussing. It was just that whole gang mentality at the beginning that made it unsavory.

That's why I now have mixed feelings about the GT's. No, I didn't mind them using the U-turn, especially since they seemed remorseful. However, that was just wrong for them to give Gary the answer at the beginning just to cut out a competitor. I guess the Cowboys can take it as a backhanded compliment, since the other teams did it because they saw the Cowboys as such a threat. (I'm thinking of Christina's worrying in India and the look on her face when they suddenly showed up. I'm sure that's what everybody was thinking about.)

One final note: thank you for the clarification about fondue. I was also wondering why they couldn't just drink it. Now I'll know what to do if I'm ever invited to a fondue party.

And I loved Justin's line as they raced to the pitstop: "I think I'm going to puke all over Phil." I can well imagine.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

+ Reply to Thread