+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 3/13 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Re: 3/13 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Maybaybie View Post
    I could be wrong, but it is my understanding that they are not allowed to BUY first class tickets (to keep production costs down), but if they are bumped or manage to get into first class in some other way I don't think it is considered against the rules and therefore wouldn't incur a time penalty.
    Then I guess it's clear that the brothers didn't cheat. They were just canny enough to seize an opportunity. I guess no other teams have ever done this, since it aroused such controversy. In a way, you could almost praise the brothers for their ingenuity. Believe me, it's hard to say that. I never liked the brothers, and still don't. But fair is fair.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by fan999 View Post
    Just curious: Why penalize them? The intention of requiring everybody to be on a specific flight is to prevent one team from finding a way to gain an advantage over the others. The broader intention of penalties is to discourage teams from cutting corners. But when a team misses the assigned flight through sheer ineptitude and has to catch another one, landing several hours behind all the others, they've already penalized themselves pretty severely. Why hit them again? It would be like penalizing a team for walking across town when the clue said catch a cab. They certainly intended to be on the right flight, and only suffered by their failure. I vote for giving 'em a break.

When Phil talked about the flight in his voiceover, he said it was required due to "scheduling difficulties." I got the impression that the producers REALLY wanted to encourage the racers to get on that flight so that they, the producers, wouldn't have the headache of trying to find another one. K/V did not deliberately miss that flight, and they have punished themselves enough by screwing up so royally.

This is probably a moot point, anyway. Unless a miracle happens they're going to get eliminated due to this latest screw-up.

R/C and the bus--now that's an interesting case. Again, maybe according to the rules they should be punished; however, I think Christina should be given some slack for that jump off the moving bus. Holy mackerel. That was one determined and gutsy girl.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Quote Originally Posted by Sk8Leigh View Post
    I was wondering if part of it was the high altitude and lack of oxygen to the brain. For him and Vyksin both, actually.
    Perhaps too much dye's been absorbed into the brain? (just kidding)
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    Then I guess it's clear that the brothers didn't cheat. They were just canny enough to seize an opportunity. I guess no other teams have ever done this, since it aroused such controversy. In a way, you could almost praise the brothers for their ingenuity. Believe me, it's hard to say that. I never liked the brothers, and still don't. But fair is fair.
    It probably wouldn't have mattered too much anyway, as for all we know they were indeed given the penalty and the cowboys still lost or that the last leg anything practically goes. But given that the teams before and since have NOT tried this tactic, I'm led to believe that it is or is now a penalty to do this because of the controversy it created.

Will say though that I will be stunned if Ron and Christina do not get a penalty for not doing their task properly and jumped on that bus. Ron throwing a rock at it too certainly will not endear them to getting it glossed over.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    It probably wouldn't have mattered too much anyway, as for all we know they were indeed given the penalty and the cowboys still lost or that the last leg anything practically goes. But given that the teams before and since have NOT tried this tactic, I'm led to believe that it is or is now a penalty to do this because of the controversy it created.
    Or other teams, at least beforehand, just didn't think about it. I'm guessing the majority of teams think like the fans, that it would be unethical to do so. Then again, that is a gray area. Earlier that season, the Cowboys didn't tell a team that they were getting on the wrong bus and so were going to lose valuable time. (Shades of R/C here.) At the time I thought it was really clever of them, but now I'm not so sure.

Will say though that I will be stunned if Ron and Christina do not get a penalty for not doing their task properly and jumped on that bus. Ron throwing a rock at it too certainly will not endear them to getting it glossed over.
    Yes, while I kind of admire Christina's act, Ron's behavior was despicable. That's why I really wish they would get eliminated soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    Er, for those of us who don't speak sign language, could you PM it to me?
    How does that help "us"? You gonna post it?

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    I realize doing TAR, even for a second time, can be difficult because of the type of show it is. While I think teams should have learned a few things before doing it again, I'm still surprised by all the bust ups, break downs, and lack of knowing what you're doing or reading directions.

I like the goths, but I worry about Vyksin if they keep going. It's not going to get any easier. Hopefully she gets a second wind.

Asia's always the more difficult continent, so probably a good thing they started here first.

That little bit with Ron/Christina was funny.

And that little girl blowing in the GT horn was hysterical
    I think I remember hearing that they were on an Asian Version of TAR and maybe even an a Latin American one?? I tried googling but couldn't find anything about them on either but I am almost positive they have done at least one additional TAR that we didn't see in America. So they should have more of it figured out IMO.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    I still can't stand Mallory...sorry...even though she was shown less this episode, she was still chirpingly upbeat.
    Agreed - She's always acting like some hyperactive 8-year old. When it's an 8-year old acting like that, it's adorable. When it's a 25-year old with no apparent mental disability acting like an 8-year old, it's just annoyingly immature. At least I don't remember any ridiculous religious references this time...

When it comes to Mallory helping out Luke, I actually don't have a problem since she wasn't blatantly giving out the answer, but I think I remember that Luke hasn't learned to lip-read, which is why he's so reliant on Margie's signing (which TBO, I think is ridiculous).

As for some TAR "curse" regarding natural disasters, I think it's just the fact that TAR visits so many places, and rare occurrences like tsunamis impact such a wide geographic area, that the chances of a TAR location getting hit by something isn't that unlikely.

The only teams I don't have a problem with are Zev/Justin and Jen/Kisha. For some teams, it might just be remnants of their previous seasons that are still irking me (Jaime for example - Cara's a doll!). And I guess any dislike is compounded when I realize how much most people seem to like them, like Mallory, or that horrible Jane character from last season's Survivor.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by The Hawk View Post
    Agreed - She's always acting like some hyperactive 8-year old. When it's an 8-year old acting like that, it's adorable. When it's a 25-year old with no apparent mental disability acting like an 8-year old, it's just annoyingly immature. At least I don't remember any ridiculous religious references this time...

When it comes to Mallory helping out Luke, I actually don't have a problem since she wasn't blatantly giving out the answer, but I think I remember that Luke hasn't learned to lip-read, which is why he's so reliant on Margie's signing (which TBO, I think is ridiculous).

As for some TAR "curse" regarding natural disasters, I think it's just the fact that TAR visits so many places, and rare occurrences like tsunamis impact such a wide geographic area, that the chances of a TAR location getting hit by something isn't that unlikely.

The only teams I don't have a problem with are Zev/Justin and Jen/Kisha. For some teams, it might just be remnants of their previous seasons that are still irking me (Jaime for example - Cara's a doll!). And I guess any dislike is compounded when I realize how much most people seem to like them, like Mallory, or that horrible Jane character from last season's Survivor.
    Poor Jane! I also don't like most of the teams. Mallory is ten times more annoying this time around. I don't know why she was asked back. Were they really that popular? I remember hoping that Kisha and Jen would be the first double female team to win. I remember hoping that Jamie and Cara wouldn't be. I can't remember disliking Ron, but he was almost as bad as Mallory this episode.
    The Jen vs. Luke flashback really got me heated again. That guy elbowed and pushed Jen and cried like a baby, signing that she was man handling him and all kinds of craziness! That was a mess. Does anyone remember if he cried or not? I recall that Margie and Luke managed to bring deafness and race into it.
    Anyway, I was not very excited to see this as the cast. But Flight Time and Big Easy are as funny as I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    There is a difference between helping someone with a physical task and giving them the answers...because with a physical task, the helping team would have to actually do the work, whereas when a team gives another team the answers, the helped team still has to be the one to complete the task ie go to the captain and give him the saying, or put together the mobile etc.
    I think it's almost exactly the same myself.

The mental tasks are supposed to be there to level the playing field for the less physical teams, but that doesn't work if you're allowed to do the mental tasks for another team, but not for the physical tasks.

If you're allowed to do the mental work for another team I think you should also be allowed to do the physical work.

+ Reply to Thread