+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite / Least Favorite Seasons

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

Favorite / Least Favorite Seasons

Season 1 is definitely the best one for me. Loved the winners, all of the final four, the way it was all conducted, and how it didn't seem as rushed as some of the newer seasons do.

Least favorite, I don't know. I never watched Family Edition so I guess that, even if I would. Or maybe All Stars because of Eric.

Re: Favorite / Least Favorite Seasons

The Family Edition was hands down the WORST ever. The best had to be within the first few, before they started casting so much for looks.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

With the exception of Big Brother, I think most first seasons are the best, simply because it's brand new. The contestants don't know what they're getting into, the viewers don't know what to expect. I never would have thought to expect half the things that happened in the first few seasons. I still remember how TAR was up in the air until season 4, then the Emmy gave it the staying power it needed. Even celebrity fans were campaigning to CBS not to cancel it. And here we are, 18 seasons later.

The first is my favorite due to it being original to all the others. Phil didn't step on the mat until the last team arrived; clues were more cryptic (I still remember the first clue they had to find the falls in Zambia, something like 'find the cloud that thunders'). The teams were the non model, non dramatic, less bickersons and bland that we have now. You had underdogs Nancy/Emily and Dave/Margaretta (RIP) having impressive showings and only getting stumped up by clues, or a crooked cabbie in the grandparents case. The "evil" Guidos being stuck on the glacier in Alaska as the other two teams crossed the finish line in NY. And while I was rooting for Frank/Margarita, it was a fitting end to have them lose right in their hometown. Just seemed to go along with the storyline for the season. Loved how the locations seemed to get more screen time, too.

Since season 6, I can't say I've really enjoyed many seasons. Season 5 is probably my second favorite due to the locations, the memorable cast (hosting some of my all time favorite teams ever), throwing in the Yield (I hated that twist but it provided good drama), challenges, and paving the way for the Roadblock rule. Also loved the underdogs that season, Bob/Joyce (cute backstory, but they went out too soon), and the bowling moms (had to admire their spirit and competitiveness).

I enjoyed seasons 2, 3 and 6 for the same reasons as above. Season 10 looked better on paper, but I wish some other teams, like the Muslim friends and the married couple who went out first, stuck around. We finally had a really diverse, interesting cast for the first time in a long time, and we had a similar ending to so many seasons. I liked and disliked the first AS equally. I wish Dustin/Kandice had had the honor of being the first female team to win.

My least favorites would the family edition (worst idea ever), and season 7 (putting the Romber factor aside, the teams were boring, the course and challenges forgettable). I wasn't a huge fan of seasons 9 (I'm in the minority but couldn't stand the hippies-or most of the other teams that season) or 12, either. Most of the recent seasons blur together for me.

I agree, Karalott, that first seasons are usually the best.
    What I especially loved about season 1 was 2 incredibly nice and extremely handsome attorneys, no less, winning.
    When Rob broke down in tears at the finish, I just fell in love with him.
    What a guy.
    My friend at CBS told me that the family edition was their worst in terms of ratings. Problem was nobody wanted to see teams compete in the US. The large attraction with the show is the exotic overseas locales.
    I didn't realize that Margaretta from S1 had passed in 2008. She seemed like such a nice lady. Very sad. RIP

margaretta.jpg
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

Dave and Margaretta <3

I wish they could have lasted longer. If I were to rank my favorite teams from the first season, they'd be 5/11.

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4190092;
    I agree, Karalott, that first seasons are usually the best.
    What I especially loved about season 1 was 2 incredibly nice and extremely handsome attorneys, no less, winning.
    When Rob broke down in tears at the finish, I just fell in love with him.
    What a guy.
    My friend at CBS told me that the family edition was their worst in terms of ratings. Problem was nobody wanted to see teams compete in the US. The large attraction with the show is the exotic overseas locales.
    I didn't realize that Margaretta from S1 had passed in 2008. She seemed like such a nice lady. Very sad. RIP

Attachment 26954
    I was rooting for Frank/Margarita, as I stated above, but was perfectly fine with Rob/Brennan winning. Unlike some other alpha male teams we've had on, they ran a very respectful race. I have the first season on DVD, and I got a big kick out of listening to their commentary, along with Team Guido. One moment that sticks out, since we're on the subject of Rob/Brennan and Dave/Margaretta, was the very first FF task in Zambia. I remember it involved climbing down a winding trail along a rocky, steep embankment to the bottom of the falls (or something like that). Rob/Brennan got to it first, and they said something to the effect of they doubted any other team could do it since they struggled. And they were fit, young males; cut to Dave/Margaretta a few scenes later going on the exact same quest for the FF, but of course they got to the clue and it was gone. I really wish D/M could have made it further. I think they had it in them to last much longer, and could have probably kept up with the younger teams for awhile. I hate seeing teams, especially younger teams, slug along and barely get through, when people 3-4 times older than them can race through in a breeze. It was heart breaking to hear about Margaretta's passing. I loved hearing the story of how she and Dave met, and how in love they appeared to be. They were one classy couple to admire.

RE: the family edition. I can't even say on paper it sounded like a good idea. I have no idea why they thought one big family road trip across the US would be classic TAR. I felt bad for the families, who apparently had no idea that the race was going to be so restricted to the US. And the tasks were so dumbed down that you could often tell how disappointed they were. I'm guessing it had to do with the younger kids that were in tow, though I'd think sending so many people and their crew around the world was too much for the TAR budget to handle no matter what their ages. In addition, there were just too many people to keep track of. There was no real challenge. Driving aimlessly across the Midwest doesn't seem as entertaining as racers getting lost in the middle of the Swiss Alps and having language barriers to deal with.

FORT Fogey

I'm not sure I have a favorite season, per se, as, for mw, it's more a case of having favorite teams within seasons than liking one particular season as a whole. I definitely liked the Family Edition season the least, however. It was a truly terrible idea. I didn't mind it being entirely in the U.S. so much as I minded the dumbed down tasks, the little kids who often couldn't really contribute much to the tasks, the whole notion that AR needed to be a "family-oriented" show (when what that means is that it has to appeal to, and be "safe" for a four year old, as if small children are the only family members that need entertaining) etc. Oddly, I did actually like the three brothers/one sister team who won and the dad/daughters team that did well too. As a season, however, it was terrible.

I also agree that season seven was bad, although in my case Romber was a huge part of the reason it was bad. I was so glad when they were voted off. It's bad enough they've had repeated invitations to Survivor, but I really resented them being foisted off on AR, which I like better than Survivor. There's something about those two--Rob, in particular--that just grates on my last nerve.

FORT Fan

Am I the only one who liked Romber's original AR season? I loved them in their original survivor seasons, I loved them in survivor all stars, and I was thrilled to see them on AR. Rob convincing other teams to quit the road block was the first real case of strategy seen on AR and it was just masterful. One of my favorite segments ever. Add in the fact that unlike most couples who've been on the show who scream their way through the race, Rob and Amber were able to argue without being disrespectful toward each other the few times they did actually argue. I still feel that the producers had a hand in that last flight being delayed for Uchenna and Joyce (who I actually thought were lovely and would have been rooting for any other season) and that Romber were screwed out of the win.

Obviously loved the first season too, but I'm more likely to point out favorite teams over the years that made the race interesting, beautiful locations, or hilarious tasks. Loved the cowboys....globetrotters....th ere was one early season with an older couple who packed paper undies to save space. The one team of brothers who showed up to their elimination in their swimming trunks. Margie and Luke, loved them....and too many others to note. Also the team with the kid who had...Aspergers I want to say? Those two were really charming, and it was hilarious when he turned out to be the duck whisperer in that one challenge.

Least favorite overall season was the family season....not only because it was just so boring to watch, but there was also the problem of trying to get to know so many more contestants. It's the only season I've never watched all of. But mostly I dislike teams....and a lot of them seem to be dating couples because those are the ones who generally resort to screaming at each other. Colin/Christie (although Colin with that ox was hilarious) and Jonathan/Victoria are the two examples that immediately come to mind. Man, I still remember Phil worrying at the pit stop that Jonathan was going to become physically abusive towards Victoria right there on the mat. I know a lot of people loved these two teams, but Brooke/Claire and Charla/Mirna both got on my nerves big time. Their voices were like nails on chalkboards for me and none of them ever seemed to shut up...double whammy.

Wow, it's amazing how had it is to recall specific things after so many years of a tv show, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4191337;
    I also agree that season seven was bad, although in my case Romber was a huge part of the reason it was bad. I was so glad when they were voted off. It's bad enough they've had repeated invitations to Survivor, but I really resented them being foisted off on AR, which I like better than Survivor. There's something about those two--Rob, in particular--that just grates on my last nerve.
    I didn't like TAR7 largely because of Romber (I was over the hype by the time AS ended and thought they were way overexposed by then-couldn't stand Amber especially), but even without them, I don't think I would have liked that season. Something about it just wasn't any fun. It did produce some of my favorite all time teams, but I don't know, I just think the Romber angle aside it'd still be my least favorite. I did hate that it was all about the other teams wanting to beat them. I'm glad they got eliminated when they did in the first AS. Kudos to Joyce for going through with the RB in cutting her hair. I've never been crazy about the challenges where you have to physically alter yourself, but at least hair grows back.

Like you, I think it's more overall teams that made the earlier seasons enjoyable than the seasons themselves. However, adding in great locations and challenges, no gimmicks like the U-Turn, more focusing on all the teams and not just the ones who create drama or have a sob story, the race still being relatively new and not seeing a lot of recycled locations and challenges, made the early seasons enjoyable. I am amazed it took all these seasons to finally have an all female team win. Looking at the roster for our next AS season, I'm not too sure I'm going to like this one, either.

TAR5 is definitely the best for me. It was my first season, so you can argue that I'm biased. But it had a great cast, great locations, and likable winners. What more could you ask for? Fantastic, fantastic season!

In terms of recent seasons, I have to go with TAR17 as my favorite. I was beginning to give up hope for the show after a string of mediocre seasons (TAR13, TAR14, TAR16) and a downright awful season (TAR15). But the most recent season was great!

My least favorite would have to be TAR9. It didn't help that it could not find a permanent timeslot -- I remember that I grew angry after it was moved to a time when it competed with some of my other shows. Other reasons why I disliked it:

- A team that I didn't like dominated throughout the legs: Eric/Jeremy. I will admit, however, that if I had liked them, perhaps I would have enjoyed the season more. But nonetheless, I didn't. It didn't help that E/J were an alpha male team, and by the time TAR9 aired, we had seen so many M/M teams dominate. It was nothing new.
    - The overall cast wasn't great, with 9th placers Wanda & Desiree being my favorite.
    - I cannot remember a single task from that season, minus the final task with the flags (but I recently watched that on YouTube, so that's unfair ). I can even think of a couple of tasks with TAR:FE, which (unpopular opinon alert!) I think is vastly underrated.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast