+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 12/12 Finale Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Re: 12/12 Finale Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;4125383;
    Actually, I am shocked that none of them knew it. I have a grade nine education and I have never read Don Quixote, but I still know who Sancho Panza is.
    I was astonished that none of them knew that. Does no one read the classics anymore?

Even if they don't, which is a pity, have they never seen the play, the movie, or the miniseries, "Man of La Mancha?"
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I was totally surprised, too, that nobody knew of Sancho Panza. I expected the Drs., at the very least, would know.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

There was a animated movie out in 2007 called "Donkey X" which was about Don Quixote told from the view of Sancho Panza's donkey. It is quite funny if you get a chance.
    There's no place like home!

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

I've read Don Quixote, but didn't remember Sancho Panza, so I can't really blame the other teams for not knowing.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;4125684;
    I thought this race was more boring than not
    Whoa, really prhoshay? I have to disagree with you here, because I thought this was one of the best seasons ever. I was starting to lose hope in the show after a run of mediocre to downright awful seasons, from around TAR13 to TAR16. But this season got my interest back in the show to the point when I would actually become excited for a Sunday night. It was a great season, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel;4125910;
    I was astonished that none of them knew that. Does no one read the classics anymore?

Even if they don't, which is a pity, have they never seen the play, the movie, or the miniseries, "Man of La Mancha?"
    Sorry, but I think this is really unfair. I've been in advanced english classes throughout my four years of high school (where I'm currently in AP English as a senior), but Don Quixote has never been part of the curriculum. It's not like my school ignores the classics, but I guess it just hasn't chosen to touch DQ. I've heard about the novel, but that was in one of my spanish classes.

In addition, why would reading DQ be of interest to any of the teams in the F3? None of of them studied english and/or literature in college. We all know Nat & Kat are doctors, Brook & Claire are home shopping network hosts, and Jill is in beauty school. (I had to read more about Thomas since he has only stated on the show that he goes to Notre Dame, and I found that he went into advertising).
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Thank you CrossingGuard! Hubby was like what highschool graduate doesn't know that? Um...most from what I hear. Silly man go to your room!
    Yup, with donuts!!

CCL

I've never read the novel but I knew the answer was Don Quixote for that question. So I don't think it's a case of necessarily having to have read the novel, more being aware of trivia or pop culture or whatever. The Seven Year Itch question threw me as I thought they were asking what year the movie came out.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Well, for what it's worth I graduated as an English major from University and I was stumped on that question...probably because we didn't study or even talk about DQ in the classes I took, and I have yet to read the novel. I finished The Count of Monte Cristo recently, so for some reason my mind was trying to fit that novel into the answer somehow. I think I was mixing the two up. It's been a long time since I've been in school!

That said, I liked the puzzle aspect of the clue, and I loved the pick out the greeter challenge. It seems Nat and Kat were pretty far ahead at that point, or did it quite quickly because nobody else showed up while they were there. I was entirely happy with their win. They faced obstacles on this race that challenged them to the max, the meat-eating task and the bungee jumping, and they faced them with grace and courage and efficiency, and they deserved the win. Very happy to see the girls coming in 1 and 2. Strong women teams this year!

Once again, the curse of the cab driver strikes. I couldn't figure out though, why Jill and Thomas just rode around senselessly when they realized the cabbie didn't have a cell/internet or couldn't understand them. First thing, ask to be taken to a hotel! Brooke and Claire figured that out. Instead they were in a dodgy part of town asking at a little shop? Yikes. It's like their common sense flew out the window and/or killer fatigue finally set in. I'm glad to see he was sweet to her in the end though. That's nice.

This is one show our entire family watches and enjoys. Mr. S isn't a fan of the "all star" seasons but he really likes Flight Time and Big Easy, and we all enjoyed the cowboys, so maybe he'll watch the next one with us. But what's this...why are so many teams from this last season back again?? I just caught glimpses of the teams, and I shuddered to see Nick/Vicki and Chad/whats-her-name there. I haven't peeked lately into the spoilers, are they really running again??? Ugh.
    Congratulations Mickey and Pete!

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea;4126351;
    This is one show our entire family watches and enjoys. Mr. S isn't a fan of the "all star" seasons but he really likes Flight Time and Big Easy, and we all enjoyed the cowboys, so maybe he'll watch the next one with us. But what's this...why are so many teams from this last season back again?? I just caught glimpses of the teams, and I shuddered to see Nick/Vicki and Chad/whats-her-name there. I haven't peeked lately into the spoilers, are they really running again??? Ugh.
    No Nick&Vicki or Chad. There is a thread on this forum with the actual teams.

I'm guessing is not possible to get all the teams production wants all the time.
    People move on with their life and it's not easy to drop everything again (job, family, etc.) to go on the AR for a second time.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea;4126351;
    Well, for what it's worth I graduated as an English major from University and I was stumped on that question...probably because we didn't study or even talk about DQ in the classes I took, and I have yet to read the novel. I finished The Count of Monte Cristo recently, so for some reason my mind was trying to fit that novel into the answer somehow. I think I was mixing the two up. It's been a long time since I've been in school!

Add me to the group of English majors that was stumped on the question as well. Not something we studied in any of my classes and not a novel that piqued my interest outside of classes. I did know the playwrite Chekov a couple of season back (remember Luke having a meltdown?) but many other English majors didn't... it all depends.

+ Reply to Thread