+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Amazing Race 18 Spoiler Thread **SPOILERS**

Re: The Amazing Race 18 Spoiler Thread **SPOILERS**

Thank you very much. This should, er, be interesting. Looks like I'll definitely be rooting for my favorite teams.

Jaime was even worse than Nick? Dang, that's bad.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Isn't one of the redheads on the new Girls Next Door? I have a friend who knows Luke personally, and she said he changed for the worst after the show. Rochester has a large deaf community, especially at RIT, so he became a bit of a celebrity for doing the race and having the background he did. She said he developed "groupies", but ignored a lot of his friends he had from before the show started, and seemed to really play into the role of being deaf and only communicating via sign language, whereas before he would lip read and hang out with a large group who were hearing abled. She doesn't know his mother, so no comment on her

I think the group is slim pickings. If it's called "Unfinished Business", I would have liked to have seen teams from early editions, as the title seems to fit the entire series as a whole, not just post-AS teams (not to mention I think the first 10 seasons had a better group to pick from). Amanda/Kris really forgot their passports? Only thing I really remember about them is being U-Turned. I'm amazed teams in later series would be so careless to lose documents like that.

Quote Originally Posted by CuckoosNest;4125973;
    Okay, this may sound catty, but I gotta put it out there...

I was a fan of Luke and Margie. I found him to be brave in the face of a handicap that no one else in the race had to deal with, and Margie was just SuperMom. My family - which hasn't agreed on anything, ever - all wanted them to win and so did I.

Then, in 2009, I had the chance to meet Luke face-to-face. It was in a public place (he was hanging out with a mutual friend) so it wasn't like I was intruding, being overly forward or acting like paparazzi. No one else there recognized him, so he wasn't being actively bothered by a herd of annoying fans. It was just me, and I simply wanted to say hi and let him know the miracle that he and his mom created within my highly dysfunctional family.

I gotta be honest: He was a bit of a jerk.

He definitely did NOT want to discuss the Race (which is why I'm shocked to see him running again), and he really couldn't have been more disinterested, dismissive and unfriendly. I know he "owes" me nothing... but hell, I was just saying hello. I wouldn't have killed him to be cordial for 30 seconds.

During his season, we saw plenty of flashes of the "rude Luke", and I was hoping that wasn't the real him. After meeting him briefly, I'm inclined to think otherwise.

I still dig Margie, however.
    To be fair, I actually can understand Luke's feelings about the race - he did have quite a few things said about him even being in the race by the general public (i.e. publicity stunt and the like), and not respect him for the skills he did have. So I can see why he didn't want to talk about the race and got upset someone was talking about it.

And if I recall correctly, he can't read lips, so unless Margie was there to translate, he could've seen you as an autograph taker or someone who was going to be rude to him. Its' why when I'm going to a place where I know I'll have to communicate with hearing impaired people and will not always have a translator (or don't know if they can read lips), I bring a note pad and paper and say "Hi," first.

That said, yes, he can still politely say "I'm glad that it helped your family" and move on. To act like a jerk doesn't help his case at all in trying to earn respect from viewers and the general public. I think he can do better, and hopefully we'll see him grow and learn this next leg of the race.

>>>>>>>>>>

As far as the race, I'm actually quite happy with most of these teams. I do wish however, they had fewer Season 14 players than they do and if 13 was ignored, they needed one team from that season. Then again, Nick and Starr were probably among the best remembered from that season, and as they were the winners, it wouldn't be right for them to come back.

(That said, if I've got my seasons right - and I may not because that was a season I didn't get to watch the show often - wasn't that the same season Dustin and Kandace were on? If so, other than they were on the last AS season, why not let them come back?)

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I would have loved to have seen Dustin/Kandice come back, even though I'm against teams getting a third chance (but obviously in some cases I'd make the exception ) D/K were on season 10, finished 4th, and came back the following season to finish in 2nd on AS. Since the title is "Unfinished Business", if they're still together, I would have liked to have seen Kris/Jon from season 6 get a second chance, since their attempt at the finish line was thwarted by a train. They weren't the most memorable team ever, but they were a breath of fresh air to all the bickering and nastiness that season, and ran a pretty impressive race. One moment that stuck out was when they were in Africa (Sierra Leone?) and during a break Kris was swimming with some of the little kids that helped her in a challenge. And speaking of season 6, even though they were out early, I loved Lena/Kristy, who got eliminated due to hay bales. I know there's quite a few teams that would fit the bill of being eliminated due to things out of their control/being stumped by a challenge/bad directions or taxis/U-Turns and Speed Bumps.
    Last edited by karalott; 12-14-2010 at 10:00 PM.

I did some thinking, and realized a lot of these contestants' reasons they have "unfinished business" - be it the race itself or possible other issues (note, I do not know on a few as I didn't get to watch their seasons, so if someone can help there, greatly appreciated:

Ron & Christina - Didn't win the race, and came pretty close to doing so. Another "unfinished" would be honing Ron's treatment of his daughter - as while we saw him improve here, he still needed to work better with his daughter.

Kynt & Vyxsin I sadly didn't see this season, so I'm not sure.

Jaime & Cara [SIZE="1"]- Didn't win their race, and lost because of a bunch of surfboards.

Margie & Luke - Didn't win the race in spite of having a huge lead going into the surfboard challenge, Luke having trouble with Chekhov, trying to prove that he can succeed in spite of being deaf (though here he'd have more success if he'd try to not act so much like a jerk to the public), and the potential drama between this team and Kisha and Jen.

Kisha & Jen - Potential drama with Margie and Luke, and the infamous being eliminated from the race because one had to take a potty break in China. My honest opinion on K&J and M&L though is that both teams were brought back for the drama that could return after that infamous fight at the pit stop.

Mel & Mike - Not really sure save not winning what their unfinished business is, but would guess if anything were eliminated by a U-Turn. They were a good team, but it wasn't anything major that I know of that eliminated them.

Amanda & Kris - To potentially U-Turn Margie and Luke like they were which cost them the race.

Flight Time & Big Easy - To hopefully not take a penalty on a name like they did in their race. And hopefully to not trust anyone who says that they'll share the answer of a name contest. Third, that if it's Big Easy doing this challenge again, he remembers to keep tabs on the names he writes down on a sheet of paper so he doesn't overlook a name he did have and end up giving up and taking said penalty.

Zev & Justin - Not lose the passports again, which cost them the race. Zev is going to have to work even harder this go with his Aspergers as well, which will pose a challenge at times.

Jet & Cord - To hopefully have a shot at winning this race without having a team go and finagle their way into first class and get out quicker. Plus, the team is cute (even if both married now) and will definitely draw in viewers like Kynt and Vyxsyn will too.

Gary & Mallory - Not sure because they played for the most part a great race. Maybe it's a let them have a shot because Nick and Vicki seemed to have so much luck?

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;4126844;
    Since the title is "Unfinished Business", if they're still together, I would have liked to have seen Kris/Jon from season 6 get a second chance, since their attempt at the finish line was thwarted by a train. They weren't the most memorable team ever, but they were a breath of fresh air to all the bickering and nastiness that season, and ran a pretty impressive race. One moment that stuck out was when they were in Africa (Sierra Leone?) and during a break Kris was swimming with some of the little kids that helped her in a challenge. And speaking of season 6, even though they were out early, I loved Lena/Kristy, who got eliminated due to hay bales. I know there's quite a few teams that would fit the bill of being eliminated due to things out of their control/being stumped by a challenge/bad directions or taxis/U-Turns and Speed Bumps.
    Kris & Jon were a memorable team for me; in fact, they are my all-time favourite. I would have loved to have them back. Would have liked Lena & Kristy as well.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock;4126674;
    And if I recall correctly, (Luke) can't read lips, so unless Margie was there to translate, he could've seen you as an autograph taker or someone who was going to be rude to him.
    Admittedly, I don't know AmSLan... however, the mutual friend I mentioned does (he's got a 75% hearing impairment and uses hearing aids). He introduced us before I said anything, so the translation factor didn't come into play here and I obviously wasn't an autograph hound.

I can wholly understand not wanting to discuss the Race, but what I got from him was big ol', evasive, eye-rolling "thanks" that clearly translated to a "yeh, whatever." It was borderline rude. A smile and a real "thank you" would have gone a lot further and have taken the same amount of time.
    Coach Ken: "Kid, you make this kick and you die a legend."
    Curt: "Can I pee first?"

Quote Originally Posted by CuckoosNest;4127302;
    Admittedly, I don't know AmSLan... however, the mutual friend I mentioned does (he's got a 75% hearing impairment and uses hearing aids). He introduced us before I said anything, so the translation factor didn't come into play here and I obviously wasn't an autograph hound.

I can wholly understand not wanting to discuss the Race, but what I got from him was big ol', evasive, eye-rolling "thanks" that clearly translated to a "yeh, whatever." It was borderline rude. A smile and a real "thank you" would have gone a lot further and have taken the same amount of time.
    That's good to know and answers that part of the question.

That said, it is very sad that Luke is acting this way - he really does have a potential to be a good voice for those who are deaf, and if he acts like this, he can essentially color all hearing impaired/deaf people in the same light.

It also impedes people actually trying to understand where he's coming from and makes him look like a cocky victim instead of someone trying to show that people can do so much without all their senses.

He really needs to take a page from Nat's book - I really do think she's that way in real life as well as the race, and as we've seen has become an inspiration for at least one little girl diagnosed with the diabetes recently.

At least too we know why Brook and Claire didn't come back - Claire is apparently pregnant. But on the plus, they were at least trying to bring back a second team that people did enjoy and who enjoyed the race - well even if Brook could be a little TOO annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock;4127329;
    ...it is very sad that Luke is acting this way - he really does have a potential to be a good voice for those who are deaf, and if he acts like this, he can essentially color all hearing impaired/deaf people in the same light.

It also impedes people actually trying to understand where he's coming from and makes him look like a cocky victim instead of someone trying to show that people can do so much without all their senses.

He really needs to take a page from Nat's book - I really do think she's that way in real life as well as the race, and as we've seen has become an inspiration for at least one little girl diagnosed with the diabetes recently.
    Very, VERY well said.
    Coach Ken: "Kid, you make this kick and you die a legend."
    Curt: "Can I pee first?"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast