+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: TAR 10/10 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

FORT Fogey

Re: TAR 10/10 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd;4081438;
    I don't remember ANY geography being taught in high school here. Pathetic.

Nick has got to go. What a douche. But I'm glad Kevin and his dad are still in it...hopefully he can catch his breath and do well.
    The bad thing about teaching now is that so many schools are poverty or below and rely so much on MEAP funding that what is taught is MEAP based teaching. So many subjects are not hit hard or focused on if they are not on the MEAP tests.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Did Team Glee really tell those young students they should go to Princeton some day? I think it was a joke, because they flubbed on the geography, but really, who tells kids in a shack in Ghana to go to Princeton? Yeah, as soon as they sell that bicycle rim for a few thousand dollars, they'll be there! Gaffe.

I think when kids are taught Geography it's kind-of like, "Students, this is Spain, this is Swedan, this is Africa..." I don't know many elementary/high schools that teach the different countries in Africa. Sad, I know, but I think that's the case. My daughter is in 7th grade and has no idea where any of the states are (we had to label a US Map in the 4th grade and learned all the capitals when I was in school). We live in Maine and she can't point out New Hampshire on a map!! Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

I wonder if Kevin and his Dad had just given up and not completed the task how they would have handled the NEL. Obviously they wouldn't have been able to continue in the game without completing the task so they would have had to change the the NEL to the next leg maybe?? I wonder if they were 'strongly encouraged' to finish the leg without specifically being told it was a NEL.

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

I wondered that as well. If they hadn't completed the task, they would have been out, so maybe a producer pulled the son aside and whispered in his ear. The thing is...the son has not been that "kind" to his father. It wasn't until the first aide team arrived that he slowed down enough to be with him, and that is when the producers may have whispered to him. I, too, thought a villain had emerged when Nick was screaming at Vicki. But, then. she had her attack and he had a chance to catch his breath, back down and be supportive. These two teams had their explosive moments but both brought it back to support.

I guess everyone is still playing nice. I really enjoyed Team Glee, though I marveled and became frustrated, myself, when no one else discovered the "Key" to the language task. The kids must have thought they were nuts when they started counting them, drawing circles around them, and throwing their homework on the ground.

One thing I wondered...the doctors were trotting away when Kevin began to have his heat induced breakdown. Did they notice and did they have to fight the urge to turn back even knowing there was a medical team on hand for any emergencies?

I am glad for the NEL. It would be tough on Kevin (I'm not counting his arrogant son) to have to leave on such a down note. I'm looking forward to the snow - wow, those sure looked like small snowmobiles or whatever they were.

Good for TAR for staying on a couple of days to help refurbish the school house.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Wouldn't there have just been a penalty (4 hours or whatever) if they didn't complete the task, since it was an NEL? So I don't think the producers/crew should have let on that it was an NEL.

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies;4081549;
    The thing is...the son has not been that "kind" to his father. It wasn't until the first aide team arrived that he slowed down enough to be with him, and that is when the producers may have whispered to him.

[snip]
    Good point. Up until then, I remember thinking it was a little mean of the son to keep urging his dad to finish the task when clearly the father was about to collapse.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Man, not easy juggling 4 different versions of TAR at the same time (this one, Latin America, Asia and China Rush), I'm getting peoples' names confused and all.

I agree with those who've said Kevin hasn't been exactly kind to his dad. I've gotten pretty sick of listening to his constant "I don't think my dad can do this" ever since the race began, even getting all surprised that Michael did the task of selling sunglasses so well. Why bother going on the race with your dad if you keep thinking he can't do anything, you dweeb? Then there's Nick acting like a complete douchebag towards Vicki, being all disrespectful towards her and the children and other people at the school, all screaming and cursing and throwing things around, how despicable. I felt sorry for both Michael and Vicki, and I personally was mad that it took dehydration for Michael and an asthma attack for Vicki for their partners to finally act like decent people.

I'm also not liking Katie and Rachel right now, with their constant calling everybody stupid. I've nicknamed them the Volley Girls, because they sure act like vapid, mean valley girls who just happen to play volleyball. Contrast that to Chad, who was very pleasant this week, though I doubt it'll last, especially after next week's preview. And after the bad luck this week, I sure hope the Lady Docs can get it together and bounce back, they're my ffavorite team and I don't want them to go.

So glad it was a NEL.
    That poor father - he looked like heas ready to drop any minute.

I;m glad Nick finally calmed down. His behavior was fast approaching that of Jonathan (of Jonathan & Victoria); not a good thing.
    I'm not caring for the home shopping girls. Sorry, can't remember their names. Didn't care for the blonde's poseur attitude with the boxing gloves and then with the jump rope. She needs lessons in humilty, IMO.

TAR is on Sunday nights after 60 Minutes for a good reason - 60 Minutes!!
    As said upthread, they do provide a good lead in audience, as 60 Minutes has been in the top 20 for years. I'm lucky to be on WC. TAR always seems to start on time here.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I don't think I could have placed Ghana the first time, but knew the general area. When our kids were little, we had a cheap world map on the wall in the playroom at their eye level. That really helped with their geography, as well as a product called "Read A Mat". They were educational placemats. We had a US map, with states and capitols, a world map with continents and oceans, solar system, and the periodic table to name a few. A bit more expensive than regular placemats, but well worth it in the long run.

I'm glad that it was a NEL to save Michael & Kevin this leg, but don't think they'll be around too much longer due to Michael's lack of stamina. Hope the doctors are done with the bad taxi drivers and manage to keep going.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Quote Originally Posted by Sk8Leigh;4081561;
    Wouldn't there have just been a penalty (4 hours or whatever) if they didn't complete the task, since it was an NEL? So I don't think the producers/crew should have let on that it was an NEL.
    I think after Rob and Amber decided not to do a task during their season that they changed it to a 24 hours penalty. I could be remembering that wrong, so someone please correct me if I am.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast