+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: 11/29 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Re: 11/29 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3759595;
    He is one of the most well-known writers of the twentieth century, and is a frequent pop-culture reference. Not having heard of Franz Kafka is on par with not having heard of Fyodor Dostoevsky, Miguel de Cervantes or Ernst Hemingway. Granted, Dostoevsky and Cervantes are earlier writers, but all four, including Kafka, are equally well-known and their writings have had an equal impact on culture as a whole. And I would like to point out that a post-secondary education is not required to acquire any of this knowledge. I have a grade 9 education and I know a Kafkaesque workplace when I see one.
    I took AP classes in high school and have a college degree. I've heard the name but couldn't tell you who he was or what he did before last night. I was never required to read Hemingway, either. I'm sure some schools do require it but the one I went to did not.

I would have gotten it quickly because I'm good with word games. One vowel in a five letter word...the vowel would most likely fit right in the center. R most likely wouldn't come after an N or a Z so that would leave F. From there, it would be easy.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by NCLurker;3759601;
    Well Rattus, then you are one up on a lot of people. I have a 4 year degree and while I've heard the name, can't say that I was ever required, nor did I choose, to read any of his works. My son is a senior in high school and has been required to read many classics to which I was never exposed and he has never been required to read any Kafka, and for a teenager, he is incredibly well read. I suspect that this is not as unheard of as you think.

Whew-thanks for this. I was never required to read of any of his works in high school nor college.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3759595;
    He is one of the most well-known writers of the twentieth century, and is a frequent pop-culture reference. Not having heard of Franz Kafka is on par with not having heard of Fyodor Dostoevsky, Miguel de Cervantes or Ernst Hemingway. Granted, Dostoevsky and Cervantes are earlier writers, but all four, including Kafka, are equally well-known and their writings have had an equal impact on culture as a whole. And I would like to point out that a post-secondary education is not required to acquire any of this knowledge. I have a grade 9 education and I know a Kafkaesque workplace when I see one.
    Could you be any more condescending? Wow!

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo;3759616;
    I took AP classes in high school and have a college degree. I've heard the name but couldn't tell you who he was or what he did before last night. I was never required to read Hemingway, either. I'm sure some schools do require it but the one I went to did not.

I would have gotten it quickly because I'm good with word games. One vowel in a five letter word...the vowel would most likely fit right in the center. R most likely wouldn't come after an N or a Z so that would leave F. From there, it would be easy.
    That would have been the reason I got it too. I probably would have failed a couple of times but gotten it eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by NCLurker;3759601;
    Well Rattus, then you are one up on a lot of people. I have a 4 year degree and while I've heard the name, can't say that I was ever required, nor did I choose, to read any of his works. My son is a senior in high school and has been required to read many classics to which I was never exposed and he has never been required to read any Kafka, and for a teenager, he is incredibly well read. I suspect that this is not as unheard of as you think.
    As I said, I have a grade 9 education and have never been required to read any of these people, though I have read Dostoevsky, but not the other three. They and their works are all so commonly referenced that I am honestly surprised that people haven't heard, or only have the vaguest recollection, of Kafka.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Fan

These people couldn't identify Jackie O, what would make you think they'd be able to unscramble "franz"?

You didn't even have to have ever heard of Kafka... when looking at those letters, you would naturally start figuring out which letters went together and that there is no word with 3 consonents in a row so the "a" would have to be in the middle.

My husband just told me yesterday that he read the avg iq for the miami dolphins was 83! That tells me perhaps the 2 globetrotters are perhaps even lower than that. And they do not strike me as well read or well educated as they didn't seem to have much brain power when necessary like figuring out the time for the lock on the previous clue.

FORT Fan

It's too bad the Harlem Globetrotter guy didn't focus on words that would actually make sense. The random combination of letters would lead to 120 results (if I'm doing the math right). It's unlikely they would have teams sit there and try to come up with the one right answer out of 120. Once he had the "F," he should have tried FARNZ, as opposed to FANRZ, FAZRN, FARZN, etc. and then FRA... should lead to FRANZ as opposed to FRAZN. He perhaps isn't very word-oriented. I love doing cryptograms so I feel that the task would've been very easy for me, but I sure would never be able to do all those basketball moves that the Harlem Globetrotters do.

The one thing that Big Easy and Dan kept saying was that they didn't know if the word was Czech or English. With words like "bratr", "dcera", "zmrzlina", and "prvni" in the Czech language, I think they just overthought the whole thing.

If Big Easy had done what Brian did...map out all the possible combinations (and Easy knew it started with F, so he would have had fewer combos), he could have eventually worked through it. But as he said, he started forgetting what combinations he'd already tried.

(When Dan asked Big Easy to confirm the 5 letters, I would have sworn that Big Easy said "F R A N Z", but I could have misheard that. I thought for sure he had it at that point!)

And if Dan hadn't been the one to broach the "let's work together" deal (or agree to it...now I can't remember whose idea it was), then his leaving without telling wouldn't have been such a big deal. My issue with the brothers is their complete lack of integrity...and the fact that they expect everyone else to treat them with respect (can you imagine how Dan would have reacted if Big Easy had solved it and then left?).

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini;3759667;
    My issue with the brothers is their complete lack of integrity...and the fact that they expect everyone else to treat them with respect (can you imagine how Dan would have reacted if Big Easy had solved it and then left?).
    If the roles were reversed, you can believe Dan would've been throwing a huger hissy-fit (and I'd say this if he were straight... ). That duo was more concerned about beating a team that probably would have more problems in a final challenge that is usually mental than Brian and Erica than focusing on a. that fact and b. Meghan and Cheyne are very good racers.

I'm also agreeing with someone who said that Big Easy may have been dyslexic, which if that's the case, I would've said that he should've let Flight Time take it (of course, bearing in mind he could also have the disorder). But, given that Flight Time had no choice but to do the roadblock of riding a ride to find a clue (Big Easy was too tall), I think Easy felt obligated to do this roadblock.

I agree Dan would have been PO'd but I would have said the same thing...too bad, this is a race.
    If you listen closely I heard Big Easy say, I will take this one since you are taking the last one. Everyone knows the last one is going to be a memory one and Flight Time might have been practicing up for it.
    There's no place like home!

+ Reply to Thread