+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 119

Thread: 11/29 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

  1. #91
    To the Point
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    2,591

    Re: 11/29 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3759634;
    As I said, I have a grade 9 education and have never been required to read any of these people, though I have read Dostoevsky, but not the other three. They and their works are all so commonly referenced that I am honestly surprised that people haven't heard, or only have the vaguest recollection, of Kafka.
    Evidently they aren't nearly as commonly referenced as you think. The area in which I live is said the have the highest number of PhD's per capita in the nation. Perhaps I need to do a poll. Seriously, I'm not being snide. I just think it'd be interesting to see.

  2. #92
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,046

    Re: 11/29 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

    I personally think that the difficulties that were shown with figuring out the name had mostly to do with their all being very very tired.

    I don't think being in a country surrounded by signs with multiple consonants in a row helped.

    Coming from a Slavic background I can definitely identify with their puzzlement! We had a neighbor whose name had NO vowels at all. When you said their name it was really hard not to spit accidentally.

  3. #93
    FORT Fogey norealityhere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,146

    Re: 11/29 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

    I'm part Czech and I didn't come up with Franz from being Czech.
    Yes, I've read Kafka, but the majority of people I've encountered in my life know nothing about Kafka esque anything. Those same people would also have missed Chekhov - puzzle clue last year - and probably couldn't distinguish a picture of Jackie O if presented with it - I believe that was last season or perhaps this season.
    Some people can solve puzzles; some people cannot.
    Big Easy appeared to have dyslexia to me, too. I think someone else mentioned that upthread. It also probably didn't help him that the brother offered to work with him and then reneged.

    I didn't take offense in the country being portrayed as one with too many tipplers. It was obvious, to me, that was all staged. I was just finally glad to see the Czech Republic on my screen.

    And, I still think Erika is not at all nice. If she wanted to make a point, she could have done that in a better manner. The Golden Rule shouldn't be just set aside when it suits people.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

  4. #94
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,046

    Re: 11/29 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

    Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3759735;
    I'm part Czech and I didn't come up with Franz from being Czech.
    Yes, I've read Kafka, but the majority of people I've encountered in my life know nothing about Kafka esque anything. Those same people would also have missed Chekhov - puzzle clue last year - and probably couldn't distinguish a picture of Jackie O if presented with it - I believe that was last season or perhaps this season.
    Some people can solve puzzles; some people cannot.
    Big Easy appeared to have dyslexia to me, too. I think someone else mentioned that upthread.

    It also probably didn't help him that the brother offered to work with him and then reneged.

    I didn't take offense in the country being portrayed as one with too many tipplers. It was obvious, to me, that was all staged. I was just finally glad to see the Czech Republic on my screen.

    .
    Noreality--Hi. I'm glad you didn't tgake offense. My ancestors are from a nearby area (not Czech) and have been misportrayed as "tipplers" for a long time. So I don't know how well I'd take such a representation on national tv. I admire your attitude.


    I am surprised that not more people are upset or commenting on the dubious actions of the brother who was involved in "working with" Big Easy and then suddenly was NOT working with Big Easy.

    I found that reprehensible--no matter what might be said about "game play."


    These guys just keep messing other people up. I personally don't find that admirable. If they win I will think they did it dishonorably on the backs of the other contestants--when no other contestants have done that to them.

    Not very pretty to watch IMO.

  5. #95
    FORT Fogey KeepItReal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,488

    Re: 11/29 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

    While it may be the case, I don't just want to throw a disability on the Globetrotter because he brain farted on a puzzle. Yes, he was likely tired but I think it had more to do with the fact that he mentally psyched himself out. When "can't" creeps into the equation it usually wins out. Much like the racer who could not go down that water slide, she had convinced herself it could not be done. Big easy convinced himself that this puzzle was the end for him and in the end it was.

  6. #96
    FORT Fogey norealityhere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,146

    Re: 11/29 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

    Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3759741;
    Noreality--Hi. I'm glad you didn't tgake offense. My ancestors are from a nearby area (not Czech) and have been misportrayed as "tipplers" for a long time. So I don't know how well I'd take such a representation on national tv. I admire your attitude.


    I am surprised that not more people are upset or commenting on the dubious actions of the brother who was involved in "working with" Big Easy and then suddenly was NOT working with Big Easy.

    I found that reprehensible--no matter what might be said about "game play."


    These guys just keep messing other people up. I personally don't find that admirable. If they win I will think they did it dishonorably on the backs of the other contestants--when no other contestants have done that to them.

    Not very pretty to watch IMO.

    Wind,

    I commented on the brother in my thread, too. As I indicated, I think his reneging on his alliance added to Big Easy's consternation.
    I was shocked to learn that Czechs consume more beer per capita than anywhere else. I always thought it was the Germans who did. So, I learned something new from TAR.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

  7. #97
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    166

    Re: 11/29 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

    So next week, Meghan and Cheyne ( who have won most of the prizes) will come first; Brian and Erika (who have come from behind most often) will come second; Sam and Dan (who have alienated most viewers) will come third. Yawn...

  8. #98
    FORT Fogey jadewarlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,088

    Re: 11/29 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

    Quote Originally Posted by augie;3759766;
    So next week, Meghan and Cheyne ( who have won most of the prizes) will come first; Brian and Erika (who have come from behind most often) will come second; Sam and Dan (who have alienated most viewers) will come third. Yawn...
    Honestly, as long as it's those first two teams in either order, I'm happy. If the brothers win... I think it'll beat Zach (who I did adore admittedly) and Flo (who didn't deserve it) winning the race.

    If the brother who reneged played it smart, he'd kept Big Easy around instead of Brian and Erica. Why you may ask? - He knew Big Easy had trouble with mental games, and as usually the last leg has a mental challenge that has determined the winner in the past couple of seasons. You'd rather have a guaranteed weaker mental player than one you haven't seen yet - in either Brian or Erica.

    When I say I wish Team Guido from season 1 (as I've said, I liked them in All-Stars) was there to give Sam and Dan a taste of their own medicine, it says a lot about the brothers. They don't deserve the win - this is not a race where backstabbing like what they did in the last leg of the race is needed. Too many factors come into play (bad taxis, bad weather, schedules, etc.) where pettiness like what he did is unwarranted and - had Big HAD finished the clue, the brothers could've really rued the decision.

    I tolerated the stealing of the cab, but seriously? - this move was unwarranted. Hopefully, this move will have bit them in the butts big time... and it should be warranted.

    And, I have this feeling that at least one rule will be instituted - you can't steal cabs of a team ... well as long as the driver says he's waiting for a team that is on a task (i.e. they can't bribe a driver to take them instead). Then if they bribe the driver to do it and even if he accepts, it's a penalty.

  9. #99
    Resident "tyrant" JavaJo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Bedlam
    Posts
    6,180

    Re: 11/29 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

    I just like the friendship the GT's have. They never got upset with each other. They just rolled with the punches, supported each other and seemed happy to be there together. It was lovely to see.

    I still don't understand why nobody tried to do anything to Meghan and Cheyne to screw them up. The brothers were so worried about the GT's and Brian and Ericka when they should have been worried about the team that is ahead of the pack all the damn time. Work together with the other teams (even if you don't particularly like them) and try to get the team to beat to come in last. Instead, they let M/C just run circles around them.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

  10. #100
    Gotta love the Mouse! JORY'sMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    307

    Re: 11/29 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

    Quote Originally Posted by NCLurker;3759707;
    Evidently they aren't nearly as commonly referenced as you think. The area in which I live is said the have the highest number of PhD's per capita in the nation. Perhaps I need to do a poll. Seriously, I'm not being snide. I just think it'd be interesting to see.
    YOu must be in the Triangle. A poll would be interesting. I've got a 4 year degree in history, and hadn't a clue.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.