+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: 11/1 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Re: 11/1 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by princess07;3741276;
    I was mad at that guy for giving the poker girls the correct count of bells. They didn't even do the task. If they had of made it to the pit stop I would have been pissed off if Phil didn't disqualify them for not actually doing the task.
    There's no rule you have to count EVERY bell. I'm sure she counted at least one of them.

Thought it was actually great strategy for the boys. They weren't in danger of going home and why not try to keep weaker teams in longer. As long as the poker girls were still there they knew they could outmuscle them and if they are in trouble can not give them help and watch them fail. I'm surprised more strong teams don't try to keep weak teams in longer.

FORT Fogey

AND the brothers would not have finished the gold task without the poker girls... I think they were bummed that they didn't get through. I wondered, other than awkwardness, why the girls didn't try to hit the bell TOGETHER - maybe between them it would have rung, though the clue could have said only one could try.

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by MHcarrollton;3741160;
    LOL just reading through your list shows me that I am right, the penalties are all over the board, and need to be more structured.
    Actually, unless there is a list posted somewhere of the actual penalties for any given infraction, we have no idea what the penalties are, or even what infractions will net a penalty. This being the case, we really can't, with any real accuracy, even begin to deduce whether penalties are all over the board or just appear that way as a result of not having knowledge of what is considered an offense and what said penalty would be warranted.

I understand what you were saying, I just think we often assume certain things while watching these shows that just may not 'hold water'. I often do wonder if it would add to or reduce our ability to enjoy the show if we had full disclosure of such things.

I thought the pattern was logical. And I found the penalties listed at Wikipedia (I don't remember what the rule is for links, but if you go to Wikipedia, to The Amazing Race entry, section 1.6.2 is Penalties and time credits.

- Rule infractions are 30 min, plus time gained if any. (Brian and Erica didn't gain any time, so the penalty was 30 mins. In earlier years, teams that took taxis instead of walking had to wait 30 mins plus the time they saved by not walking.)

- Bartering goods or not completing a miscellaneous task is a 2 hr penalty.

- Not competing either Detour option (and a few other things) is 24 hrs.

- Not completing a Roadblock is a four hour penalty from the time the next team arrives (which is what Rob and Amber did).

Quote Originally Posted by MHcarrollton;3741277;
    I did not catch the description, but was that fish raw? It sure looked nasty.

As for Erica, there are several ways to give up. One is just to plain flat out not do it, but another is to do it with little to no effort. She let the other teams make her give up in spirit. She could have gotten it with a little effort the first times through. It is nice to see that she found a very very patient man who helps her through her issues. Everyone should be as lucky in a life partner.
    I think it's raw normally, but they may have partially cooked it and served it cold for safety reasons for the racers - too much of a health risk. Guess we'll have to wait and see when the Globetrotters or father/son team do their final interviews.

As far as Erica and Brian - I see it being a bunch of stress from the contest. I can imagine going through some of these challenges and with little sleep and food, snapping at my colleague over and over again. That said - one plus that these two have is that they balance each other, understand that the stress is more the game than themselves, and they apologize toward each other. Even Terry and Ian at the end of their race Ian realized what a jerk he was to Terry and apologized to his wife. That spoke volumes.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock;3741341;
    I think it's raw normally, but they may have partially cooked it and served it cold for safety reasons for the racers - too much of a health risk. Guess we'll have to wait and see when the Globetrotters or father/son team do their final interviews.

As far as Erica and Brian - I see it being a bunch of stress from the contest. I can imagine going through some of these challenges and with little sleep and food, snapping at my colleague over and over again. That said - one plus that these two have is that they balance each other, understand that the stress is more the game than themselves, and they apologize toward each other. Even Terry and Ian at the end of their race Ian realized what a jerk he was to Terry and apologized to his wife. That spoke volumes.
    I guess it all boils down to how each person handles stress. The Globetrotters, even when stressed over the briefcase brainfart last episode, never whined or snapped at each other. The father and son, even when realizing there was fish eating involved and the son said "no way" , did not complain, bitch and moan or fuss at one another; Megan and Cheyne, even when Megan began fretting over her inability to play any kind of golfing game, never became impatient with each other or complained about lack of compassion on the part of their partner.

Brian does seem to have a LOT of patience with Erika. Kudos to him.
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

I will miss the Tiffany and Maria whom I've liked from the start. Clearly they did not know how to swing the mallet to get leverage and power, but they kept trying and finally accepted that they were not going to be able to complete either task. They did it with what I consider to be good grace and neither one ever blamed the other.

I would much rather have seen Brian and Erica go home. She gets on my last nerve.

I love the Globetrotters, but I don't think they'll win. Their demeanor has made watching this season a lot of fun. I like the other couples, too, and really would not mind a win by any of them.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by MHcarrollton;3741277;
    I did not catch the description, but was that fish raw? It sure looked nasty.
    Since it was Herring, it was probably salted or cured.

Except for the drama, this was a fun show. I really enjoyed the participants who enjoyed the dress up and got into the spirit of the place.

While the poker girls didn't have the dramatic melt downs that Erika exhibited, you could see they were exhausted and cold. Their hands were raw from trying to heft the heavy mallet for the bell ringing and must have hurt like the devil when gripping the thick handles on the golf clubs. They pushed themselves until there was no more push left, and I applaud their effort.

I can understand how Brian missed reading the part of the clue about riding bikes - Erika kept distracting him with her yammering. But, I thought it sweet that he bowed a kiss to her at the end of the dance.

Sam and Dan made this leg look like a piece of cake, and Matt and Gary didn't do so bad themselves. If M/G hadn't taken all that time asking for directions outside the church tower, they might have arrived at the road block first and finished higher, even with their change of task. Still, fourth ain't bad.

Meghan and Cheyne and Flight Time and Big Easy also made this leg look easy and so much fun. I love to laugh during the race.

That won't happen next week when after honoring Alfred Noble by using his invention to blow things up, they face the infamous hay bales in a field comp. Is the prize a gnome? Because I saw Cheyne holding a gnome while still encouraging Meghan to continue. Hmm...fast shots of Matt (Dad?) starting to unroll - looked to be alone in the daylight, Sam and Dan might have been first to the field, and I don't remember seeing any of the others. Question...what was the "prize" they were looking for the first time this challenge was run?
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by ElizabethG;3741382;
    I guess it all boils down to how each person handles stress. The Globetrotters, even when stressed over the briefcase brainfart last episode, never whined or snapped at each other. The father and son, even when realizing there was fish eating involved and the son said "no way" , did not complain, bitch and moan or fuss at one another; Megan and Cheyne, even when Megan began fretting over her inability to play any kind of golfing game, never became impatient with each other or complained about lack of compassion on the part of their partner.

Brian does seem to have a LOT of patience with Erika. Kudos to him.
    Megan and Cheyne are impressive in the way they deal with one another. It's only my opinion, of course, but I think it's much easier to fly off the handle with a romantic partner than with a friend, sibling, parent/child, etc. I know that my husband would probably go through h*ll if he ever had to do the race with me. But I doubt I'd go crazy at my sister or my dad. This seems to me to hold true with AR contestants - dating or married couples are often the ones who treat each other the worst. And though some of them are clearly mismatched, I think a lot of them are good couples in RL, but the stress of the race is hard on those relationships.

Sad to see Maria and Tiffany go. I liked them from the very start. I was wondering though since they quit voluntarily but if they actually reached the Pit Stop was it a NEL? But Phil did go to them so I dunno.

+ Reply to Thread