+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: 10/25 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

FORT Fogey

Re: 10/25 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

LOL that the leap of faith was their undoing...she should have just given it over to God and gone down the SLIDE! It always annoys me those who go on about religion, but can't trust others or realize that they have free will, and need to use it sometimes!

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, 7up Pinball Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NFL1
    It always annoys me those who go on about religion, but can't trust others or realize that they have free will, and need to use it sometimes!
    Once again, it's like telling a person, well, I know you suffer from depression, but you can decide to be happy. Plus, you have religion, so of course you should be.

You can't rationalize with mental illness, not even with a million dollars.

I did find it annoying that Canaan said that he forgave her, like he was some sort of great guy. What about her forgiving him? Was that even a part of the picture?
    Last edited by spockwhat; 10-26-2009 at 02:49 PM.

FORT Fan

Spockwhat: You're are right about telling someone with depression "you can decide to be happy." As someone who has fought it for 20 years, I can tell you that you CAN'T just decide to be happy if your brain starts manufacturing too much or too little of a certain hormone. My doctor said it's like telling someone with two broken legs, "Oh, Come on! Get up and walk!" That kind of depression isn't a mental illness as much as a physical one.

Quote Originally Posted by MHcarrollton;3736325;
    My husband is a therapist, and he said that girl was not showing the signs of fear, but of exhaustion. She was basically acting like a child when they are so tired they do not know what to do with themselves. I do not discount that she is afraid of heights, but my husband thinks that in her head she was looking for a way to get out of the race, and played this angle up to do so. He said the same thing as the poster above that if she was truly afraid of the activity, she would have been sweating, shaking and cowering her head in her lap like the girl that was afraid to swim last season.
    That is my take on the situation as well. She didn't show so much anxiety as exhaustion.

FORT Regular

Since Mika appears to be a fearful person, I'd imagine she and Canaan had many discussions pre-race about how she would handle scary tasks. In fact, I'd be willing to bet Canaan had serious reservations about having her as a partner because of her fears. She may have reassured him by saying, "Just make me do it! I'll get over it! When it comes time to do it in the race, I'll get over my fear for those few minutes."

Will we read an interview with these two?

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat;3736522;
    Once again, it's like telling a person, well, I know you suffer from depression, but you can decide to be happy. Plus, you have religion, so of course you should be.

You can't rationalize with mental illness, not even with a million dollars.

I did find it annoying that Canaan said that he forgave her, like he was some sort of great guy. What about her forgiving him? Was that even a part of the picture?
    I'm sure the cameraman asked if he was mad at her for not doing it, and he said that. That would be the first question that most people would ask him.

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat;3736480;
    Belittling a person with a phobia is like telling a depressed person to lighten up. You don't just decide to not have a mental problem. It is what it is. She should have never been on the show in the first place.
    I fully agree. She seemed to have a very disastruous mix of phobia, exhaustion, anxiety and nervousness, and Canaan's horrid behavior towards her didn't help at all. I myself have a very strong phobia of sharks, and considering it was a tank full of sharks down there, I know I very possibly wouldn't have been able to do that task myself, even if it had taken a simple closing of my eyes. Thus, I cannot fault Mika's fear, no matter how whiny she was being, but it can be faulted that she went into this race knowing there are always challenges involving water and heights. What are these people thinking, anyway? Maybe they're simply not thinking.

If anyone really deserves to be faulted is Canaan. His pep talk was not right and he wouldn't let up. And what the hell was he doing grabbing her? Hands off, dude, if she says don't touch, it means don't touch. That's going into Season 6 Jonathan behavior right there.

Felt very bad that Mika could not go down the slide. It was obvious that she was totally incapable of moving. For Canaan to try and push her was just wrong. Soothing words might have helped a lot more. Fear can be incapactitating and it certainly does not have a switch that one can turn on and off.
    There's a big difference between a drama queen and fear that is crippling.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo;3736412;
    Beats me. He was yelling, sure, but what couple doesn't yell at each other from time to time? He wasn't calling her names. As for trying to push her down the slide, he didn't try that hard, for one, and for two, when she freaked out, he laid off. He didn't hit her, call her names or anything extreme. I've been abused in the past, and I didn't see any of that with these two.
    In most jurisdictions that kind of bodily intrusion is called "simple assault." (As opposed to "assault with a deadly weapon.")

What kind of man GRABS his girlfriend tightly in order to PHYSICALLY FORCE her to do something?

An abusive one.

I hope she has seen him for what he really is in viewing this incident.

As another poster has said--"SCARY."

As I saw it there were at least TWO separate assaults--One--when he grabbed her by the shoulders/upper arms to try to force her down into that pool and Two--when he tried to PRY her hands off that overhead bar.

Any time anyone wrenches someone's hands away from a safety device that they are clutching onto for dear life--what else can that be called but an assault on their person?

I was initially startled that TAR even allowed that to be aired--and then I realized that they have show abusive men for what they are in stark video before.

Good for them!

BTW--"heat of the moment" doesn't make it any less a crime.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MHcarrollton;3736325;
    My husband is a therapist, and he said that girl was not showing the signs of fear, but of exhaustion. She was basically acting like a child when they are so tired they do not know what to do with themselves. I do not discount that she is afraid of heights, but my husband thinks that in her head she was looking for a way to get out of the race, and played this angle up to do so. He said the same thing as the poster above that if she was truly afraid of the activity, she would have been sweating, shaking and cowering her head in her lap like the girl that was afraid to swim last season.
    I don't disagree with this--though different peopel can have different reactions--even if they are suffering fom the same phobia.

However--what I find most telling is her reactions the instant he touched her.

It reminded me of an animal who has been abused in the past. I've done volunteer work with abandoned/abused animals at a shelter and they have that same kind of instant "knee-jerk" reaction to a stimulus or touch that is reminiscent of whatever they suffered previously--even if they have shown themselves relaxed etc to the person holding or touching them.

The instant that specific button gets pushed they can turn into what looks like a crazed animal.

That was what I was seeing from Mika whenever he touched her.

And that is what I found so disturbing about that incident.

Either he has tried to physically coerce her before--or someone else has.

That was very very sad.

I hope she is on the mend emotionally and that he is nowhere near her.

+ Reply to Thread