+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: 10/11 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

FORT Fogey

Re: 10/11 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkPink;3724845;
    When my cousin began to work with autistic children it really opened my eyes. Zev having aspergers and coming on the race shows he is progressing and taking his condition head on! good for him! As far as running home to Mommy, I think thats a little unnecessary. He doesn't need his mother, he seems like a fully functioning adult, just in need of understanding. Its not his job to get along with us, he can't change.. its us who have to learn to get along with people like him.. we can change.
    Think Pink--Hi.

I']m going to disagree with you with these two points--

1) Zev obviously CAN change as he himself showed us tonighh by talking about how he learned that he does not need to follow a strict/same schedule every day. That most certainly is change in him.

2) IMO the people who are talking about Zev care about him and want the best for him--whatever that might be--including his showing that he can change.

And as a bonus point--we all live on this earth together--so yes we all have to do whatever each of us can to get along with each other--ALL of us to the best of our ability.

That definitely would include a very high functioning person such as Zev.

And everyone here of course.

IMO to say that he does not have to do what he can to adjust to living with the rest of us might indicate low expectations for him--which IMO would be a huge disservice to Zev.

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3724981;
    There's that incredibly famous photo of JFK getting shot with Jackie trying to get out by crawling over the back of the car.

Do they NOT show that in history classes? JFK's assassination?

Just wondering....
    Again, maybe the way I grew up makes me an exception.

I went to one of the first high schools to be named after JFK. As such, some of the staff were JFK buffs.

One of them held an annual exhibition about the JFK assassination. Including play-by-play of the Zapruder film.

There are some who think that - in her shock - Jackie wasn't trying to get out - she was trying to retrieve part of the president's head that had gotten blown off and ended up on the back of the convertible.

Sorry if that's morbid. But that really stuck with me, and is certainly one reason it's so easy for me to recognize Jacqueline Kennedy.

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

I'm not sure there's a running knowledge of Asperger's and autism in the general populace.

I'm not an expert myself. But I have dealt with a couple people with both, and have done some real basic Googling and Wikipedia'ing on the subjects in an effort to understand them better.

They are frustrating conditions that can be very, very difficult to understand. As people with them can be.

It's why I was rooting for Zev & Justin. It is a damned shame that their ouster from the race was due to them losing their passports.

Quote Originally Posted by Fierce Critter;3725010;
    One of them held an annual exhibition about the JFK assassination. Including play-by-play of the Zapruder film.

There are some who think that - in her shock - Jackie wasn't trying to get out - she was trying to retrieve part of the president's head that had gotten blown off and ended up on the back of the convertible.

Sorry if that's morbid. But that really stuck with me, and is certainly one reason it's so easy for me to recognize Jacqueline Kennedy.
    I didn't ever think that was in question. Btw, Life Magazine captured photos that indicate such, also.

There's also that infamous photo of LBJ being sworn into office (on Air Force One), with Jackie present in the same pink mohair suit and JFK's bloodstains on it.

What do they teach in schools these days, when it comes to American History? It's a very tragic situation that history is apparently being forgotten by not being remembered and passed down.

Be back later, must go outside and look for the black helicopters.
    Last edited by VelvetRed; 10-12-2009 at 04:21 AM.
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Fierce Critter;3725017;
    I'm not sure there's a running knowledge of Asperger's and autism in the general populace.

I'm not an expert myself. But I have dealt with a couple people with both, and have done some real basic Googling and Wikipedia'ing on the subjects in an effort to understand them better.

They are frustrating conditions that can be very, very difficult to understand. As people with them can be.

It's why I was rooting for Zev & Justin. It is a damned shame that their ouster from the race was due to them losing their passports.
    Fierce Critter--hi. I was rooting for them also.

My faves are getting whittled away. I was also rooting for the team that was eliminated last week.

I still like the self-proclaimed gay brothers and Mika and Cheynne--even though every time I see them I have to stop and think--who is that?--but am then impressed by their apparent ability to play the game fairly and cleanly and without giving anyone a hard time.

My other fave team is the father and son. They seem to have a good time and also seem to be deepening their relationship, which makes watching them very rewarding.

FORT Regular

Since everyone is asking (I'm usually a lurker, but I'll chip in) my experience with school history classes was that we spent a lot of time on wars. We were required to take one year of history in high school and one year in middle school. Middle school history class focused largely on the Civil War and WWII. High school history went from the foundation of the US to Vietnam, but we skipped a lot of things, including WWI. As such I know loads about WWII and the Civil War, little bits about Vietnam and the Revolution (last I learned about the Revolution was in 5th grade) and almost nothing about WWI or Korea. We did touch on JFK's assassination, but it was something we didn't spend a lot of time on. We certainly didn't have to match photos with names or something.

I would think it absolutely disgraceful if someone my parents' age didn't know who that was in the photo. And maybe someone a bit older. But someone from my generation (20s) I would totally understand if they didn't. I'm old enough that I remember when Jackie O died, but barely. I was 10. And I knew it was a big deal then and knew who she was. But someone even just a little younger than I am would have probably had no clue. I don't know that I could necessarily always pick her face out on a photograph, either. I feel like I might, but she was never a common enough figure in my lifetime. If someone was used to always seeing her in the public eye and couldn't identify her, that would be bad. But for my generation I would be far more shocked if someone were unable to identify Hilary Clinton, for example. Or one of those old, dead guys like Abe Lincoln.

Just my two cents.

I think you are right (poster right above me...sorry...didn't want to quote the whole thing). The picture was also grainy and I'm not sure Jackie Kennedy is the first person that pops into anyone's mind when thinking of Cambodia. I don't think (some) schools are doing a good job with History now. I know we had US History for years and it wasn't until I was in the upper grades that we moved on to European History. My daughter is in 6th grade now and she doesn't even know what the Bill of Rights or the Constitution is. I was horrified when it came up on a game we were playing the other day and she had no idea. She cannot identify the 50 states on a map let alone their capitals and has no idea who any of the presidents were aside from George Washington and Barrack Obama. She gets all As in school, so it's not like a lack of listening or learning on her part- it is a lack of teaching. I personally HATED History growing up (and to this day, it's not my favorite), but I can certainly see the importance of teaching it!

FORT Fan

I'm so sad Zev is gone. I loved him. He just touched my heart.

I could not believe people didn't recognize Jackie Kennedy. The convertible had to have been a big clue. How ignorant are people nowadays? She was an icon, in one of our most famous family's. Her brother in law just died. I don't get it. Even if you aren't a history buff or learn it in school I'd expect enough awareness of the world around you.

I cut those ding dongs no slack for thinking she was a queen.

My kids are 19 & 22 and I think they'd know Jackie Kennedy however that wasn't the best pic and I didn't know it was her when they first showed it. I think it was more that they weren't expecting it to be someone like Jackie in that pic than them not knowing who she was.

I'm very sad that Zev and Justin got cut last night. To go from 1st place to last must have been hard to take especially when it's your own fault. They were one of my favorite teams so will now be rooting for the Globetrotters, the father/son, and the blonde couple. Can you tell I'm not good with names?

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3724834;
    Zev would have driven me crazy! Time for him to go back to mommy.
    Well, he does have Asperger's Syndrome. Zev seems to be very aware of the areas in which he has a difficult time dealing with the world. I think he's done incredibly well. Yes, dealing with him would be like dealing with a child at times but I found him endearing and Justin showed himself to be an amazing friend.
    Last edited by NCLurker; 10-12-2009 at 09:19 AM.

+ Reply to Thread