+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ericka & Brian-TAR 15

Ericka & Brian-TAR 15

Brian Kleinschmidt (27); Ericka Dunlap (27)
    Hometown: Nashville, Tenn.
    Occupation: Brian (Marketing Tour Manager) / Ericka (Entertainer/Miss America 2004)
    Relationship: Married

Ericka and Brian Kleinschmidt are excited to be the first married interracial team on The Amazing Race. They have a singular game plan in mind — to win over the hearts and minds of The Amazing Race audience by proving that true love is color blind. They compare their relationship to the Yin-Yang symbol, which represents the philosophy of two total opposites coming together as one to accomplish a common goal.

Ericka and Brian met at a leadership seminar at the University of Central Florida nine years ago, and it was love at first sight for Brian. Ericka, on the other hand, played hard to get for the next five years….but Brian's persistence finally paid off as the couple shared wedding vows over two years ago.

Ericka has lived a very structured, prim and proper life but plans to embrace her true self and expose a vulnerable side of her life beyond Miss America while racing around the world. Her life's goal is to become a country music recording artist.

Brian is an all-American guy who contends that nice guys do not always have to finish last. He has enjoyed life as a standout athlete, singer, actor, and loyal friend. The opportunity to extensively tour the U.S. with his job as a sports and entertainment marketing manager has further boosted Brian's confidence and travel expertise.

Though some may see Brian and Ericka as total opposites, they believe that their differences are actually their greatest strength and will propel them around the world all the way towards the finish line.
    I could see them going very far, and I'm getting a definite winner vibe from them. I watched their CBS video and they are very fun, very goofy, and I think they will do very well with the social situations. They're truly a case of "opposites attract".

Brian and Ericka: The Amazing Race on CBS
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

Re: Ericka & Brian-TAR 15

They look sooo adorable!
    "My life gets less like chess and more like whack-a-mole every day."
    <-- "I'm Hexy and I know it!"

FORT Fan

They were cute. I liked when they smacked their shoes together. Her Mom still doesn't accept him two years later... crazy.

Who is John Galt?

From the bio, they don't seem to be opposites in temperament or personality. They just have different skin color (which doesn't make them opposites). Actually, they seem pretty compatible as a couple and very cute.

I want Brian/Ericka to miraculously take the win in the end. Out of the 4 teams left, they're the only ones I'm rooting for. But I'm not cheering for these two as zealously as I have with my past favorites since 1) they're my favorites because they're pretty much the only ones I remotely like, and 2) this season and its teams weren't that great to begin with.

On another note, Brian/Ericka kind of resemble Flo/Zach (winners of TAR3) in some ways. He's the nice, mellow guy; she's the dramatic one of the team. I don't think Ericka was as overdramatic as Flo was, and I don't think Brian is as nice as Zach was (Brian's definitely loving and caring, but there was Leg2, where he couldn't keep his cool with Ericka and the chicken RB). But thinking about it, the two duos are a little bit similar.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

LG.

Ericka isn't in the same diva galaxy as Flo, who quit the race mutliple times and only made it to the finish because poor, long-suffering Zach carried her there while she bitched and whined the whole time. Ericka is loud, but she contributes to the success of her team. Flo didn't do squat her whole season, and the fact that she won was a travesty.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Oh, totally, Ericka is leagues ahead of Flo. I was a fan of Flo's, but putting that aside, Zach pretty much won with Flo tagging along as a "partner." But in terms of dynamics of the two teams, he's the more relaxed of the two who does more work (I feel like if the Bowling Moms rule was not in play, Brian would be doing almost every RB). Not saying they're totally similar, but they are alike in that way.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

FORT Fogey

It would be very hard for anyone to ever be as annoying as Flo. Erica is not annoying to me she just is a little spoiled. Brian is such a perfect match for her because he brings out the best in her. When she goes all diva, he straightens her back out. I think having a grounded husband will help her stay on the right track.

Ericka doesn't bother me. Brian seems like a genuinely nice guy & the way he is with Ericka reminds me a lot of my hubby. :
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

From their hometown Nashville paper.

Amazing' finalist turns energy, focus to music career

When Ericka Dunlap got home to Nashville after participating in CBS' The Amazing Race, all she wanted to do was eat Honeycomb cereal, watch TiVo and relearn how to text.

"At that moment, it was the most fulfilling moment of my life," she said of the two boxes of cereal she inhaled. "With my sweet acidophilus milk, it was perfect."

Dunlap, a former Miss America and aspiring country singer, and her husband Brian Kleinschmidt spent 21 days at the end of the summer circling the globe as contestants on the Emmy-winning reality show. They finished third, as revealed on last night's final episode. (The title and $1 million prize went to Meghan Rickey and Cheyne Whitney of San Diego.) The other Nashville couple who competed, Canaan Smith and Mika Combs, were eliminated in episode six when Combs refused to go down a water slide.)

"It was grueling," Dunlap said of her experience on The Amazing Race. "I prepared myself for it to be pretty tough and for me to experience things I would not normally do. I knew I was going to go places I knew I would not have wanted or felt like I needed to go to."

Among those places? Vietnam and Cambodia. Dunlap said that while the countries share a border, her experiences in the two nations varied wildly.

"In Vietnam, the people there make do and . . . there's a love atmosphere there that I really haven't seen before," she explained. "The people make the very best of what they have. Their resources may be limited, but they work in tandem to make life work. In Cambodia, on the flip side, I saw . . . in my judgment it seemed like there was a bit of government manipulation of the people. It's the same part of the world, but very different lifestyles. It really humbled me and made me appreciate what I have."
    'I'm not just a beauty queen'

As for the physical and mental challenges, Dunlap didn't waste much time worrying about them. She said she and her husband decided they would assign tasks based on their individual strengths. The only obstacle that concerned Dunlap was the possibility of deep water.

"I can barely survive in the water," she said. "But aside from that, I like thrill stuff. I was hoping I could shave my head and jump off a bridge, but none of that happened. But that's one of the reasons I wanted to do the show so much to prove to people they can't put me in a box of being just a beauty queen. I'm so much more than that. I'm intelligent and I'm talented and I'm confident and I have all this stuff I'm really great at. I'm not just pretty. 'Pretty' is a matter of painting on a face. At the end of the day, I'm a scholarship winner, I'm not just a beauty queen. That's what I really want people to know."

Dunlap plans to channel her experiences on The Amazing Race into her songwriting.

"They way I see myself is completely different from how I did before I went on the show," she said. "I knew I was capable of completing all these tasks, but I was really faced with just how strong I am, and that really goes back into the music I'm looking forward to writing."

Making music

Dunlap, originally from Orlando, Fla., has dreamed of being a country singer since she was 10 years old. Growing up, she and her mother made multiple trips a year to Nashville in addition to heavily working the beauty pageant and talent show circuit in her own area.

"We wanted to try and land a recording contract, because we 'knew' it was just that easy," she said. "Of course, that was back in the day when karaoke was a big deal, and we'd go to those karaoke joints and I would sing and think I would be picked up, and I wouldn't."

So as soon as Dunlap's 2004 reign as Miss America was over, she went home to Florida and finished her degree, then packed her bags and moved to Nashville.

"I learned my way through the muck and the mire and had some very interesting experiences with people who promised the moon, and I didn't know any better," she said. "I was just as green as the day is long. I wanted to be an artist so bad that I listened to a lot of people who probably didn't really know what was going on, Music Row-wise. I really wanted to hone in on what it took to be a respected artist."

Her situation is a lot different today. Dunlap said she has surrounded herself with a strong team of people eager to help her advance her career. And she's in the studio making a CD with producer Paul Worley.

"I really spent some time just figuring out what I want from this and why I'm here," she said. "I think a lot of people come and don't have a plan. This is a business. At the end of the day, you need to be the CEO of your business. Regardless of what your education is, or what your family life has been like, you just need to own your own thing. I'm really happy with the situation I'm in. Of course, I would definitely like to be able to get my music out to the masses so they can hear what I have to say as an artist."

As for how Dunlap feels her experience on The Amazing Race will impact her music career, she said that's easy.

"I don't feel invincible, but I do feel like a few more stones can be thrown at me and I'm not going to flinch," she said. "Entertainment as a whole is really tough, but Nashville is like grabbing the bull by the horns.

"I appreciate the fact that I've had to work to try and make a name for myself. I don't expect it to be any easier, but I feel like I can take it. Bring it on! But not for too much longer, because I'm ready to get it going. I'm starting to live my life like I'm 65 and I don't give a damn."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast