+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: 4/19 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

Re: 4/19 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

Quote Originally Posted by Ionan;3419954;
    Jen did not accidentally run into Luke at the first cluebox, they were racing eachother and she was the aggressor here when she made a move to get in front of Luke and push him aside when he was clearly there first. I saw what Luke did there as a defensive move. If someone were to try and push their way in front of me, I would've thrown my arm up like that, too, for invading my personal space and trying to push me out of the way.
    That's how you saw it and that's fine. I stand by my opinion of what happened after watching that tape numerous times and slowing it down. I rewatched it this morning to be sure that what I thought I saw the first time was accurate and that's how I saw it.

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz;3420114;
    That's how you saw it and that's fine. I stand by my opinion of what happened after watching that tape numerous times and slowing it down. I rewatched it this morning to be sure that what I thought I saw the first time was accurate and that's how I saw it.

I happen to agree with you. Buried somewhere within the bowels of one of these threads I also stated after watching the first incident a second time it seemed as if the thing with Jen was an honest mistake.

I see this thing from so many viewpoints. I see the mom reaction of Margie and can understand some of it. I understand how your child's disability can become so much a part of your life that you may want to treat them and have others treat them equally, but your own fears get in the way. I see the sisters as athletes who compete on a high level, and as someone who played sports I remember how some people were masters at throwing someone off of their game. I was sometimes shocked to find out that they were nothing like I thought they'd be outside of the game.

I also see Luke and Jen both as young, competitive, and lacking the control that their older partners have gained in life. I truly believe Lakisha's reaction had nothing to do with his disabilty.

One thing that truly stood out to me was the incident at the second box. Margie jumps in and scolds Jen, then Kisha jumps in and says that Luke had elbowed Jen at the first box. Margie reacts as if Luke were totally innocent, and yet in the cab after the first incident she told him numerous times that he could not push at the box. It could have been editing, but it made it seem as if Luke could do no wrong in her eyes. Margie was angry, probably why she chose that time to tell Luke about the "b*&ch comment". Her anger surely fed Luke's anger as well.

Honestly I don't think we had a lot of manipulative editing in this episode. I think they tried hard not to allow someone to be saddled with the label of "mean to people with disabilities" or "racist". I think they made a clear effort to show that while this was a huge blowup and distraction, they believed it was about the game and the game only. I give them credit for that.
    Last edited by KeepItReal; 04-21-2009 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KeepItReal;3420313;
    Honestly I don't think we had a lot of manipulative editing in this episode. I think they tried hard not to allow someone to be saddled with the label of "mean to people with disabilities" or "racist". I think they made a clear effort to show that while this was a huge blowup and distraction, they believed it was about the game and the game only. I give them credit for that.
    I hadn't really thought about that at all. I think you are correct. They certainly replayed each of those incidents over and over. Much more than they would normally replay anything. I did notice that aspect, how much they replayed it, but hadn't considered why they would do that.

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz;3421476;
    I hadn't really thought about that at all. I think you are correct. They certainly replayed each of those incidents over and over. Much more than they would normally replay anything. I did notice that aspect, how much they replayed it, but hadn't considered why they would do that.
    And from what I was seeing the replays were totally backing up Jen side of the story. I just saw the show last night and it was so clear to me who was the most at fault that I should have been but wasn't prepared when I came here to see the diversity of opinion on the incident. To me he clearly stuck his hip out to block her from getting to the box and then raised his elbow at her which in sports gets you called what she called him.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

FORT Fogey

KeepItReal sys--

"Honestly I don't think we had a lot of manipulative editing in this episode. I think they tried hard not to allow someone to be saddled with the label of "mean to people with disabilities" or "racist". I think they made a clear effort to show that while this was a huge blowup and distraction, they believed it was about the game and the game only. I give them credit for that."

I'm going to disagree with you to this extent--

IMO the manipulation was in showing the incident plus the reactiosn over an over and over again.

I stopped counting after they showed it three times.

Pushing the same potentially inflammatory situation and reactions into our faces again and again is IMO manipulation.

FORT Newbie

Keep in mind that Luke can not hear people running up from behind him, so when she fell into him, he probably wasn't 100% sure what the heck was going on and instinct took over and he protected his space.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

I don't know if it really matters who did what to whom.

They were fighting over a CLUEBOX. One person grabs an envelope, the next person grabs an envelope, by the time they move away a few steps to open them, it makes NO difference who got to the cluebox first. Seriously, what a stupid little thing to create such a fuss over.

If they were fighting over getting to a taxi, or to be first in line at the airport, or the Pitstop MAT, yeah, I could understand that.
    I hope they realize how MORONic they looked by pretending getting first to that cluebox even mattered. *sighs*

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat;3421668;
    I don't know if it really matters who did what to whom.

They were fighting over a CLUEBOX. One person grabs an envelope, the next person grabs an envelope, by the time they move away a few steps to open them, it makes NO difference who got to the cluebox first. Seriously, what a stupid little thing to create such a fuss over.

If they were fighting over getting to a taxi, or to be first in line at the airport, or the Pitstop MAT, yeah, I could understand that.
    I hope they realize how MORONic they looked by pretending getting first to that cluebox even mattered. *sighs*

I always thought that was always a silly waste of energy also. I think alot of people lose any resemblance of common sense when they are in the heat of competition.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

Kind of like "don't let the other team see the clue" The racers seem to try and hide when reading the clue.
    There's no place like home!

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ionan;3419230;
    Kisha And Jen are guilty of this too. They showed exactly that throughout the whole episode. Even at the mat with the smiling and laughing--->earlier in the episode they said that they do that to make others mad. Jen also lied about pushing Luke at the first cluebox.

Jen and Kisha are guilty of twisting the truth and provoking another team. This is not to say that M&L aren't guilty of it too, but I think they're getting the brunt of it because of many people's dislike of Luke.

Also, 22 is not that far off at all from being a teen, so I don't know why so many people are criticizing Luke for not acting like a 30yr old. And Jen is older than luke, and acts just as bratty, if not more, yet she rarely gets the character beatdown that Luke does.

As for Luke beating his fist- I see this as a visual act of frustration because he can't really vocalize it. And AS IF Luke would ever be physically stronger than either of the sisters-COME ON!
    Yea, I don't agree with you.

When did the sisters scream at Margie 'n Luke?? Especially about understanding "discrimination".. Mom 'n son were WAYY overreacting.
    It's a race.

We see two different sunsets. That's Oh Kay.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

+ Reply to Thread