+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: 4/19 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

Re: 4/19 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

Quote Originally Posted by Secret;3418408;
    I agree with this! No one handled this situation well, at all. Everyone acted extremely childish, including Margie. BUT, I have to admit that the smug smirky faces from Kisha and Jen were absolutely ridiculous. :nono

Who would have thought that Victor and Tammy are one of the few the (barely) likeable teams left?
    I know! I've really disliked Tammy/Victor from the start but now I thin kthey might be the team I'm rooting for. After my favorite Team Schneebly was eliminated I was rooting ro Margie/Luke but not after this episode. I actually had expected to like Margie/Luke more this episode and really dislike Kisha/Jen but now I don't like ANY of them except Tammy/Victor.
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3418416;
    I honestly though that Kisha and Jen were laughing at Luke before Margie went off on them, so apparently I can see her point. I've seen that sort of snickering at the handicapped before and for some reason, Kisha and Jen strike me as just the sort of people who would do such a thing.
    Sorry don't agree here at all.

I usually laugh in situations where I think the other person is acting ridiculously. Luke was going un-hinged calling them bitches. It's like a "ha ha are you guys really seriously acting like that?" Even Phil agreed that they didn't mean it in a mean-spirited way.

**EDIT** I remember the situation as Luke storming off and calling them bitches, and then Kisha laughing but my memory might be off. Correct me if i'm wrong.
    Last edited by xDC3x; 04-19-2009 at 10:39 PM.

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar

I don't think Kisha and Jen were being smirky. If you look back over the earlier episodes, they always have that kind of smile when anything happens. Margie just jumped to the conclusion that they were laughing at her baby chick and really flew off the handle. Shame on her. As a parent, the hardest thing she'll ever do is let Luke fail at something.
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

Quote Originally Posted by xDC3x;3418423;
    Sorry don't agree here at all.

I usually laugh in situations where I think the other person is acting ridiculously. Luke was going un-hinged calling them bitches. It's like a "ha ham are you guys really seriously acting like that?" Even Phil agreed that they didn't mean it in a mean-spirited way.

**EDIT** I remember the situation as Luke storming off and calling them bitches, but my memory might be off, correct me if i'm wrong.
    I agree with you that they were just laughing at the behavior and not his signing like Margie thought. But I do understand why Margie thought that. It's understandable for Margie and Luke to be hypersensitive because there ARE people out there that would make fun of his disability and if you get made fun of long enough you become paranoid that everyone is out to get you or make fun of you. You actually look for it and expect it. I know this from personal experience. I have a repaired cleft lip/palate and people used to blatantly STARE at me when I was a little kid because it was more pronounced then. I've had enough surgeries now that most people don't even notice but I was really paranoid about it even as an adult.

ETA: I hope no one thinks I'm excusing Margie and Luke's behavior because I'm NOT. I just understand where they're coming from. I think they should definitely have thought about it before they reacted.
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

And one of the most loving she'll do is let him fail AND LEARN.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I think it's very unfair to guess that the snickering had anything at all to do with deafness, and it actually sets back that whole "deaf people want to be treated equally" argument a zillion years. In the real world, people react to someone they don't agree with at times with smirks, snickers, etc, and brush off their comments. People also snicker at grown men who walk off and pout during an argument. There is no way for us to know if this is how that woman behaves when she's dismissing the arguments of someone else, because we've never seen her in that situation before. Margie pulled out the deaf card and the race card tonight, and I just can't stand that.

They all were wrong, mainly Luke and Jen. Mom and sis were dragged in by default supporting their loved ones. So frigging what she called him a b*&ch. Are you kidding me with that reaction? Have we never heard anyone called that during the heat of a competition before? Sure it's rude and immature, but is it a running off the mat seething type of infraction? Nope, not at all. Frankly, either call her a b*7ch back and move on or let it slide and show how immature it was.

Mom coddles that boy within an inch of his life. Jen is sometimes a bratty little sister. Both Luke and Jen are ultra competitive. Luke has got to man up. Please. I hate to say it but I came close to calling him a b&^ch tonight. I'm tired of him storming around. I made the mistake of attributing some of his animation to being deaf. I think some deaf people are very animated in order to bridge the communication gap. Luke may be as well, but he also storms off and rages and pouts and tonight was not the first example of that. Overall, I was disappointed in all of them, but moreso in Margie for playing that deaf card and accusing someone of something very terrible without being sure that it was a case of taunting because he lacks hearing, or laughing because they're claiming he's not a bi&ch but mommy is yelling for him at the mat and showing that while he may not be a b&^ch, he just may have a few b$@ch tendencies.
    Last edited by KeepItReal; 04-19-2009 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by steppemaster;3418403;
    Actually Deaf people CAN sense the stamping of feet on the ground/floor.

That is one of the accepted ways of getting the attention of a Deaf Perso--stamping your feet.

(it's bone conduction of the movement of the ground/floor--not sound)
    I can run in my tennis shoes and the person that I am coming up to at the track I always say on your left. I have people come up behind me running and I don't hear them. I am usually concentrating on what I am doing or daydreaming. I am sure Luke was focused and did not feel the vibration. (giving him the benefit of the doubt)
    There's no place like home!

Quote Originally Posted by Secret;3418408;
    I agree with this! No one handled this situation well, at all. Everyone acted extremely childish, including Margie. BUT, I have to admit that the smug smirky faces from Kisha and Jen were absolutely ridiculous. :nono
    They actually said in the cab they love to smile to people's face to make them mad in this kind of situations

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3418416;
    I honestly though that Kisha and Jen were laughing at Luke before Margie went off on them, so apparently I can see her point. I've seen that sort of snickering at the handicapped before and for some reason, Kisha and Jen strike me as just the sort of people who would do such a thing.
    Well, I think it is safe to say that Margie and Luke have dealt with varying reactions to his disability all throughout his life. While people are more aware and PC about it than they used to be, people can still be cruel, intentionally or not.

I think they normally do better with it and rise above being defensive about his deafness, but in this case, both Margie and Luke pretty much lost it and over reacted. I'm sure this will be an issue that is revisited for the remainder of the season! :nono

In this case, I think Kisha and Jen may have snickered a bit, but upon rewinding it seemed more like "OMG, is this really happening?" rather than laughing at his disability or his form of expression. However, I don't think their "that's just what we do" response and the facial expressions were a good choice and just egged on an already tense situation.
    Last edited by Secret; 04-19-2009 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stacerace;3418438;
    I agree with you that they were just laughing at the behavior and not his signing like Margie thought. But I do understand why Margie thought that. It's understandable for Margie and Luke to be hypersensitive because there ARE people out there that would make fun of his disability and if you get made fun of long enough you become paranoid that everyone is out to get you or make fun of you. You actually look for it and expect it. I know this from personal experience. I have a repaired cleft lip/palate and people used to blatantly STARE at me when I was a little kid because it was more pronounced then. I've had enough surgeries now that most people don't even notice but I was really paranoid about it even as an adult.

ETA: I hope no one thinks I'm excusing Margie and Luke's behavior because I'm NOT. I just understand where they're coming from. I think they should definitely have thought about it before they reacted.
    The thing that surprised me about Margie was that I didn't expect that tirade from her. I thought she would be more level-headed in that situation. She did start that way telling Luke not to say anything, but once she heard the laugh she went off.

I expected that she would have reacted more like "Kisha why are you laughing right now?" but instead she jumped to conclusions and started yelling.

I understand the reasoning behind her going off, I just was surprised that she did go off in the first place.

+ Reply to Thread