+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 4/12 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Re: 4/12 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

thanks for the clarification jadewarlock. fine print. i usually skip it.

Useless Comedy Poster HurriKaty's Avatar

Golf? GOLF? Golf is allowed to run 40 minutes overtime now? Who even watched golf?

This was a fun episode, and I'm glad both of those teams stayed as I like them both. In fact, the only team I don't care for is the redheads, and even then it's just the one. I had a feeling it would be a NEL, but even if it hadn't that would have meant next episode would be one.

Mark and Michael are really becoming the kings of incurring penalties we didn't know existed, huh? I still honestly do like them, though.

Wonder what happens next episode, we're clearly not seeing all of it right now.
    You've been Philiminated.

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat;3411572;
    On another note, how amazing is Margie!?! She could run this darn race by herself and run circles around the other contestants... and still finish first.
    I really like Margie - man she was awesome with the teeth task! She is tough and nice. Not sure about Luke... but Margie is great.
    The clip next week shows Luke and Kisha/Jen battling it out at the clue boxes... my question is why?? For the few SECONDS difference in time I don't see that it's worth it. The game is won/lost on the challenges and in the travelling - not at the clue box.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock;3411590;

That said, I can understand their reasoning for a new rule. IMHO the race is designed to where the money they are given is enough to pay the fees needed for that leg of the race. Plus, as I've seen with some of the other racers in the past, they could've bartered with people around them to sell their items for money to pay the person instead of doing a trade.

Ok, so then why weren't the sisters assessed a penalty for getting a taxi ride for free? Honestly, I don't see a difference as they used their whit and charm, which they brought with them from home, to get something in exchange. (yes, I realize that's a stretch! lol)

I just think it's a BS call, and the little guys aren't my favorite team by a long shot. If the effect of the rule is to force players to use the money they are given to pay for everything along the way, then getting something for free that others have to pay for is going against the spirit of the rule, IMHO.

The four hours of penalties makes sense if it's a sliding scale, and kudo's to TPTB for that. I just disagree with this rule is all, because it can be applied unequally (i.e. getting the free taxi ride).

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmb
    The clip next week shows Luke and Kisha/Jen battling it out at the clue boxes... my question is why?? For the few SECONDS difference in time I don't see that it's worth it. The game is won/lost on the challenges and in the travelling - not at the clue box.

What's the point, except making enemies and trouble for yourself. This group of racers are a bit weird.

Tivoer, I agree with all you've said there... it still feels like a BS call to me... and I think it's based more on what other racers have gotten away with. (In past series and this one.) They just seem out to get the little guys to me. Maybe it makes good tv in their opinion or something. Ticked Phil and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tivoer;3411703;
    Ok, so then why weren't the sisters assessed a penalty for getting a taxi ride for free? Honestly, I don't see a difference as they used their whit and charm, which they brought with them from home, to get something in exchange. (yes, I realize that's a stretch! lol)

I just think it's a BS call, and the little guys aren't my favorite team by a long shot. If the effect of the rule is to force players to use the money they are given to pay for everything along the way, then getting something for free that others have to pay for is going against the spirit of the rule, IMHO.
    I still think it's BS but let's be fair, which one is easier: getting something for free or getting something in exchange of my diamond Rolex?

what are you watching? iguanachocolate's Avatar

getting something for free has always been allowed on the race - for instance, players can except free upgrades to business or first class if they are offered. Freed taxi rides have been done before as well.

However, like someone else said there is big difference between getting something free and stuffing your bags full of things that can be bartered for trade. The parameters of the game are marked by the cash they are given at the beginning of the leg and they do not inlcude spare rolexes or loose gems in one's pack. They are not allowed to use their own funds on the race, period - and personal funds include money, credit cards and personal items. Smiles are not included. they are assets, not funds. so bartering a taxi ride for a smile would be allowed.
    A good book should leave you... slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it. ~William Styron, interview, Writers at Work, 1958

FORT Fogey

These penalties are so random in time it is silly. I think they just may be trying to get rid of the last all male team so that they might get an all women team to win finally. I have never seen such penalties in a season ever.

what are you watching? iguanachocolate's Avatar

no, they are not allowed to do random penalties - it has to be spelled out in the rules. The teams - and i am specifically talking about the brothers, need to read the rules and follow them.
    A good book should leave you... slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it. ~William Styron, interview, Writers at Work, 1958

Quote Originally Posted by Tivoer;3411703;

The four hours of penalties makes sense if it's a sliding scale, and kudo's to TPTB for that. I just disagree with this rule is all, because it can be applied unequally (i.e. getting the free taxi ride).
    Well, there can be an argument here for another reason - as I mentioned in an earlier post, some taxi drivers will just say "no worries" and forget about the charges. A relative of mine in Russia had this happen to him before - he didn't have quite enough, and the fellow waived the rest.

If the girls were willing to sell something to get a taxi fee and pay the fellow up front (as I think that they also are OK if they sell their stuff to get money and pay the fellow), but said fellow refused and said don't worry, then they probably wouldn't be penalized. That's something they cannot decide for him - it's his choice. It all depends, however, if the girls were willing to pay up front - if they just begged for a free ride, then yes, there should've been some penalty, but it wouldn't have been as long as them say giving up something they owned brought on the race (i.e. the flashlight with Mark and Michael). For all we know too (thanks to editing), they did give him what little money they had, even if it were say a penny - and therefore they did what they were supposed to.

There is one other possibility - based on how Phil phrased his comment to the girls even a second time, they were assessed some penalty still but it wouldn't affect the standings. (He did say they were the fourth team to arrive, and not team number four when they did finally return to the mat with credentials.)

Only reason I mention the fourth one is that Nick and Starr did get assessed a 30 min. penalty for a speeding ticket, yet it was not shown because it did not affect the standings.

+ Reply to Thread