+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 3/8 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Re: 3/8 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

I know that after 13 seasons the producers are desperate for an all woman team to win, and I don't really have a problem with them stacking the deck this year to insure the outcome. But, couldn't they make the all female teams a little less obnoxious? (not the sisters)

Always Loved My Furry One Mimzy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sk8Leigh;3375618;
    Yes, if a name ends in -ov, that's a male, and a female with that name would end in -ova. I know that from being a figure skating fan.

Yippy - another skating fan.

How sad - Kris and Amanda were just great! Nice kids. I wish them a beautiful life together.

Luke - I think this was harder in some ways for him then others. But not ANY harder then those who didn't know the answer. I was so over him by the end.
    Grow up - you are not five!

It is freighting how many didn't know the basic names in world history. I think it is more the fault of parents then schools. Where is the normal discussions and reading within families? Schools should be also doing good job covering world figures. I'm not saying that we all have to be experts on Russian literature - which is rather dreary and boring. But if there isn't the raising with facts then you have adults that can't even hold their own. And then sound like idiots on the AR. *sigh*

SC3
    FORT Newbie

Unfortunately, these reality shows are repeatedly showing how our educational system is broken. Last season, it was clear that many couldn't distinguish tell Lenin and Stalin if they stood in front of them. This season, one of the flight attendants couldn't recognize Lenin either. Maybe all our kids are in front of the TV watching these other reality shows instead of doing something productive. Scary. As it is, we don't have enough engineers and doctors and need to import them from China and India. What is going to happen with our next generation.

Back to the show... I thought for sure Amanda and Kris would get a reprieve. Frankly, I'm sick of all of Luke's antics. On one hand, he wants to show the world how deaf people can accomplism great things. On the other, he whines like no other. I mean, c'mon, he's a grown man and he wants to be treated like one. Read the clue before you start the task. Margie makes some excuse that English is Luke's second language. Well, English is the second language for a lot of people too.

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies;3375813;
    I was surprised by the Kris/Amanda elimination. I wonder if they had to start from scratch with the wood pile, or if they got to correct the one they had almost completed?
    In the Elimination Station video at cbs.com, Amanda said that their woodpile collapsed twice before they decided to do the shutter task, and that when they went back to it after being U-Turned, they completed the task in about 20 minutes. To my thinking, that means that they did NOT have to start from scratch, but were able to use the wreckage of their old pile.
    For those who are wondering, my name is spelt "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."
    My blog; My online art gallery
    "WORSHIP...is the most appropriate response that can be made to resurrection" - Eugene Peterson

Quote Originally Posted by Sk8Leigh;3375618;
    Yes, if a name ends in -ov, that's a male, and a female with that name would end in -ova. I know that from being a figure skating fan.
    Also, checking over the names of the Soviet premiers and Russian presidents, besides the all of the "ov", I'd forgotten until now how common "ev" is as well. Also a ton of "in".

POLITICAL LEADERS OF USSR
    Vladimir Ilyich Lenin 1917–1924
    Aleksei Rykov 1924–1930
    Vyacheslav Molotov 1930–1941
    Joseph Stalin 1941–1953
    Georgi M. Malenkov 1953–1955
    Nikolai A. Bulganin 1955–1958
    Nikita S. Khrushchev 1958–1964
    Leonid I. Brezhnev 1964–1982
    Yuri V. Andropov 1982–1984
    Konstantin U. Chernenko 1984–1985
    Mikhail S. Gorbachev 1985–1991
    PRESIDENTS OF RUSSIA
    Boris Yeltsin 1991–1999
    Vladimir Putin 2000–
    Combine that with some of the most famous writers, and "sky" also shows up a lot.

Back to the letters scramble. If you knew it was a Russian name, you wouldn't even really have to know the person. No matter what, I'd try to put "ev", "ov", "in", "sky", etc. together at the end (and then, later, the feminine versions, "eva", "ova", "ina") and just try and fit the beginning together around that. They could have made the person in the puzzle any Russian of note, not even near as famous as Anton Chekhov, and anyone who even simply knew Russian names through lots of Olympics watching should get it eventually. Hopefully.
    Last edited by Krom; 03-09-2009 at 09:41 AM.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Mimzy;3375875;
    Yippy - another skating fan.

How sad - Kris and Amanda were just great! Nice kids. I wish them a beautiful life together.

Luke - I think this was harder in some ways for him then others. But not ANY harder then those who didn't know the answer. I was so over him by the end.
    Grow up - you are not five!

It is freighting how many didn't know the basic names in world history. I think it is more the fault of parents then schools. Where is the normal discussions and reading within families? Schools should be also doing good job covering world figures. I'm not saying that we all have to be experts on Russian literature - which is rather dreary and boring. But if there isn't the raising with facts then you have adults that can't even hold their own. And then sound like idiots on the AR. *sigh*

My mom was a history and literature nut--so we heard a lot of stories about history when we were little--especially from Russia and that whole Slavic area because that's where her "people" were from.

To this day I know lots more about Stalin and Lenin than most people--and I've read a lot more Dostoevsky and Tolstoy than most people. To me they're just like soap operas--Russian style.

But I don't think our family was very typical.

It does seem kind of sad that a lot of people have never even heard of Chehkov--IMO every high school should have one course on "great writers from around the world" and include writers from Asia and as well.

Just my IMO.

Sorry to see Amanda and Kris go--now my faves are the stunt brothers. I hope I'm not jinxing them though.....

Can someone PM me the link to Phil's blog or whatever that is?

Can someone PM me the link to Phil's blog or whatever that is?
    I believe I can direct you to them publicly as long as there are no actual links involved. Just go on YouTube and look on the official CBS channel. Or, if that's too much to look through, I think every video is titled (and thereby searchable) with the phrase "Phil's Video Diary" in it.

They're also probably duplicated on CBS.com as well, I'd think. But probably less hassle on YouTube.

I've always liked Phil, but the Video Diaries show a much more approachable version of him. They're great viewing.
    Last edited by Krom; 03-09-2009 at 09:50 AM.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

CCL

Honestly, I think some of them got help with figuring out Chekhov. Maybe there was a time limit and after that they told them. Because some of them seemed like they were never going to get it and then all of a sudden they flipped back to them and they had it. It was suspicious to me. And I didn't understand why it was so difficult for Luke and his mom was making the excuse that English was a second language for him. Doesn't he read in English? That makes no sense.

Bummed that Amanda and Kris got out.
    Last edited by CCL; 03-09-2009 at 10:57 AM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;3375985;
    Honestly, I think some of them got help with figuring out Chekhov. Maybe there was a time limit and after that they told them. Because some of them seemed like they were never going to get it and then all of a sudden they flipped back to them and they had it. It was suspicious to me. And I didn't understand why it was so difficult for Luke and his mom was making the excuse that English was a second language for him. Doesn't he read in English? That makes no sense.

Bummed that Amanda and Kris got out.

That's an interesting point.

Let's look at it.

His first language--spoken--is ASL (American Sign Language) and his second language is English--which we assume he reads.

Okay--he was being asked to create a name in a third language--Russian.

English is my first language. I read a second one but don't speak it very well. However I do know the names of writers in Russian and French and Spanish and some other languages as well.

I'm not sure this is about what language one speaks. But how well read one might be.

So--from that point of view anyone--including his mom--saying that he would have "more trouble" with that puzzle than someone for whom "English is their first language" makes no sense.

Krom--thanks so much for the Phil-info.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I am not happy that folks are coming down so hard on Luke's behaviors when he had to perform the "Chekhov" competition.

If you stop and think about it, when you have the education barrier (not exposed to or slept through the class, like so many of our children did/do), the second language barrier (probably maybe causing him to think in English AND ASL), the physical barrier (although you would think that not having to hear the noise might be an advantage for concentration), the regular panic/pressure of the rush-rush-rush of the game, the pressure of having your partner there (especially one's parent) watching you flounder and trying to help push you along...I can understand Luke's demeanor. Put any of us in his shoes, and I'm not so sure we'd do any better than he did, and we'd probably do worse. At least he's been used to not hearing for all, or most, of his life (I guess). And, I hate to say it, but mothers can really handicap their children; we are the people that they always look to to help them when they are frustrated; they want to impress us. It's hard to stand back. After all, that's your BABY!

I learned, a long time ago, that there were times when I had to leave an area when my son was trying to do something because my presence was a distraction to him. He'd do much better when left to his own devices. Unfortunately, Luke's mom couldn't leave the scene.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread