+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tammy & Victor - TAR 14

Re: Tammy & Victor - TAR 14

Quote Originally Posted by meezy;3358624;
    Tammy seems OK, Victor on the other hand is a bit of a pouty, patronizing, martyr crybaby, explicitly expressed by his whiny and annoying voice. i wanted to punch him at the end of episode 3.

And that annoying habit he has of singing the end of each sentence? ("I see Phiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiil"..."It's a rooooooooooooooadblooooooooock"...) Gimme a break!

Who is John Galt?

I still like this team, but Victor did disappoint me by being so obstinate with his sister (even tho he was dead wrong). Another poster mentioned the Asian culture of male dominance, female submissiveness and shame (saving face). It is far more prevalent in Asia than it is in the U.S. and this couple was raised in the U.S. subjected to American style interpersonal relationships. It think it was far more a big brother, much younger sister dynamic. We also saw it in the brother/sister couple who won the last survivor. They too exhibited the older brother's dominance toward his younger sister. However, that brother was easier going than Victor and his sister was more temperamental than Tammy, plus they were much closer in age than this couple.

I hope that Victor will learn from his gross error in underestimating his sister's instincts and rely on her judgement in future episodes.

Why does he keep saying, "were alive and that is all that matters"?
    I thought Luke was the drama queen but he might have a partner in Victor.

brown and red and nasty.
    Bikini coffee shop or in the ER dying of toxic shock syndrome

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonLine;3359325;
    It seems to me that they have a very classically Asian cultural way of relating to each other. Tammy didn't want to address the problem directly, but rather indirectly, to save her brother embarrassment or shame. Notice, when he finally does decide to head back down the mountain, his reaction is to sit down and cry. It's overwhelming. That speaks more to a shame/honor based culture, like most Asian cultures, than to a guilt/innocence based Western cultural response. Tammy defers to Victor as the older brother, and works to keep him from appearing wrong.

when you try to explain the motivations and actions of Native Americans do you attribute it to their deep sense of 'spirituality'?

if you find a woman particularly disagreeable do you automatically assume it's hormonal/PMS?

beyond basing it solely on the way they look, how are you able to even assume Confucian orthodoxy or "classically Asian cultural" sensibilities are to blame for Tammy and Victor's particular dynamic?
    Last edited by meezy; 03-04-2009 at 02:19 AM.

If only these two would get eliminated, I'd be left with teams that i like or at least don't annoy me. Tammy's nothing but a pushover, for starters. She knew she was right, but she still followed Victor up that mountain like some pup on a leash, whining all the way instead fo standing her ground. And Victor's just been so annoying since the beginning! He's patronizing, a know-it-all, a motormouth (does he ever shut up?), and now a crybaby too, not to mention he totally sounds like a muppet.

FORT Newbie

And here, I shall disagree with Meezy. I don't know, I feel people are just too quick to cry racism or sexism or whatnot. I don't think they fit the Asian stereotype so much as the raised-in-an-Asian-household stereotype. It's obvious they're used to being the best and that one (esp. Vic) always has to be right.

The Hahvahd personalities are waaaay too obvious. Not a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by lobeck;3359358;

And that annoying habit he has of singing the end of each sentence? ("I see Phiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiil"..."It's a rooooooooooooooadblooooooooock"...) Gimme a break!
    OMG!!! Now I have his voice in my head singing every sentence! You hit the nail on the head with this description. Can't wait for this team to be eliminated.

FORT Newbie

I think their Insiders -- the recent ones for this past episode, I mean -- might be a clue they win. They're just portrayed so positively in them.

It really irked me when the other teams got mad when Tammy and Victor went ahead without them.

Umm.

Amazing Race.

Victor seems very cheery, big smiles, feminine mannerisms, lives in san fran... is he gay? has this been discussed? btw, I think they are awesome and the team to beat.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast