+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Margie & Luke - TAR 14

FORT Newbie

Re: Margie & Luke - TAR 14

Alright, I feel the need to defend meezy here - I don't think you need to have direct experience with the disabled to comprehend the situation. Does it help? Sure, but it's not necessary. I feel that Luke is being given a little bit too much of the "aww, he's deaf" treatment here. He's not a bad guy, but he does show overcompetitiveness and a bit too much intensity at times. I don't remember the quote, but there was something along these lines in the first episode when Margie was driving that ticked me off a little bit. I know I sound lazy, but I don't feel like re-loading the episode just for the sake of this post.

I don't think the novelty of being deaf is as high as it normally would since I did watch the episodes of TAR:Asia online and Adrian pulled through the race perfectly fine.

Hawk, I understand your perspective. However, I can say from personal experience that knowing someone with a disability and what they go through on a daily basis makes all the difference in your perceptions and opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Rags317;3373714;
    Hawk, I understand your perspective. However, I can say from personal experience that knowing someone with a disability and what they go through on a daily basis makes all the difference in your perceptions and opinions.
    Amen. Thank you for posting this.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by meezy;3358634;
    i know most people are lured into giving Luke the benefit of the doubt/beatifying him, but there's something about him that screams 'trying too hard'. i understand where he's coming from and that as a result he seems to perpetually have something to prove, whether he actually does or not. but it still doesn't stop him from coming off like an obnoxious, spoiled prick to me. it's more than race stress/frustration, and i don't get that vibe from anyone else in the race really even when teams run into worse trouble.

Margie on the other hand seems nice and cheerful, i like her.
    I can't speak to disabilities as I don't have any significant direct experience.

All I can say is that his enthusiasm for this life experience is completely understandable. The rest of us take life for granted. It is clear that this kid does not.

I don't consider him overly exuberant. I consider all others who don't play the game with the same zest under-exuberant.

I hope he and his mother win the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by meezy;3360267;
    between all the exasperated sighs, eye rolling, sulking, pained facial expressions and just being a bitchy queen in general, i suppose you're right.
    Hhhmmm....I'm just guessing here, but .... it seems to me that next to signing, facial expressions are the most significant way a deaf person is able to communicate.

I'm not deaf, but I just made each one of the expressions noted above.
    Last edited by Jexter; 03-09-2009 at 03:20 AM.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;3375848;
    Hhhmmm....I'm just guessing here, but .... it seems to me that next to signing, facial expressions are the most significant way a deaf person is able to communicate.
    i'm not deaf either, but we had someone that was in the church i used to go to so we always had someone available to sign for them during the sermon. i usually spent the hour watching the signer because it always fascinated me how what was being spoken was transferred into signs. and the facial expressions were definitely a part of it.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by marauder;3363129;
    I have experience with the deaf community and can tell you that many deaf people use exaggerated face expressions. It tends to come with having to express yourself through sign. It is a way of expressing emotion. The sign can express the words, you use the way you hold your body and your face to express the emotion.

Doing sign language with just your hands and no emotion is similar to just reading something as opposed to hearing someone talk. When you hear a person you can hear the inflections and tone.

I'm currently studying ASL (American Sign Language) and I am learning how to do this kind of expressiveness.

Also--now that I have some idea of just how much goes into speaking ASL I watch signers carefully and see how many different "styles" of signing there are. There are many personal 'quirks' for sigining styles--just the way there are for voice-speaking styles.

It continues to be very fascinating and it's opening up a whole new world for me as a hearing person.

Rags--I've worked in hospitals and I had to laugh at your post about how some people treat anyone with a perceived disability. (though the attitude itself is not humorous.) It cana be quite a humorous situation--especially if you're the one who gets to teach them how to treat everyone as an individual human being--not like "someone in a wheelchair."

Medical students can be the worst for this attitude.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;3375848;
    I can't speak to disabilities as I don't have any significant direct experience.

All I can say is that his enthusiasm for this life experience is completely understandable. The rest of us take life for granted. It is clear that this kid does not.

I don't consider him overly exuberant. I consider all others who don't play the game with the same zest under-exuberant.

I hope he and his mother win the whole thing.

I'm not deaf, but I just made each one of the expressions noted above.
    I agree with your whole post. Luke is being so heavily scrutinized for behavior that is pretty normal for a 22 yr old boy. The young men I know of this age level are pretty competitive. His (excessive?) facial expressions are definitely a part of signing. I took and ASL course and this was the first thing we were taught.
    I hope they win!

Quote Originally Posted by steppemaster;3376323;
    I'm currently studying ASL (American Sign Language) and I am learning how to do this kind of expressiveness.

Also--now that I have some idea of just how much goes into speaking ASL I watch signers carefully and see how many different "styles" of signing there are. There are many personal 'quirks' for sigining styles--just the way there are for voice-speaking styles.

It continues to be very fascinating and it's opening up a whole new world for me as a hearing person.

Rags--I've worked in hospitals and I had to laugh at your post about how some people treat anyone with a perceived disability. (though the attitude itself is not humorous.) It cana be quite a humorous situation--especially if you're the one who gets to teach them how to treat everyone as an individual human being--not like "someone in a wheelchair."

Medical students can be the worst for this attitude
    Yes, they can. Sigh. LOL

Who is John Galt?

I like Luke but detouring that young couple just to save his "crush" was off-putting. I don't like it when they do that. It just doesn't sit right and seems to put the game off balance. The weaker players should go first and it should be level playing field among the stronger ones. People should lose on their own rather than being aided by a detour. I am just saying . . . .

I still like Luke and Margie. I don't, however, like it when participants use the detour. I just think of it like karma and it always seems to come back when you least can afford it.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread