+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Margie & Luke - TAR 14

brown and red and nasty.
    Bikini coffee shop or in the ER dying of toxic shock syndrome

Re: Margie & Luke - TAR 14

i know most people are lured into giving Luke the benefit of the doubt/beatifying him, but there's something about him that screams 'trying too hard'. i understand where he's coming from and that as a result he seems to perpetually have something to prove, whether he actually does or not. but it still doesn't stop him from coming off like an obnoxious, spoiled prick to me. it's more than race stress/frustration, and i don't get that vibe from anyone else in the race really even when teams run into worse trouble.

Margie on the other hand seems nice and cheerful, i like her.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Luke seems like a nice young man to me, and pretty typical for his age. He seems intelligent and competitive, and I am sure he can be a pain in the neck sometimes too (like all of us). His mother, on the other hand, is amazing to me. She is patient, kind, and an amazing physical competitor! I think they are a terrific team and I hope they do well.

brown and red and nasty.

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;3359906;
    Luke seems like a nice young man to me, and pretty typical for his age. He seems intelligent and competitive, and I am sure he can be a pain in the neck sometimes too (like all of us).
    between all the exasperated sighs, eye rolling, sulking, pained facial expressions and just being a bitchy queen in general, i suppose you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by meezy;3360267;
    between all the exasperated sighs, eye rolling, sulking, pained facial expressions and just being a bitchy queen in general, i suppose you're right.

I have experience with the deaf community and can tell you that many deaf people use exaggerated face expressions. It tends to come with having to express yourself through sign. It is a way of expressing emotion. The sign can express the words, you use the way you hold your body and your face to express the emotion.

Doing sign language with just your hands and no emotion is similar to just reading something as opposed to hearing someone talk. When you hear a person you can hear the inflections and tone.

brown and red and nasty.

Quote Originally Posted by marauder;3363129;
    I have experience with the deaf community and can tell you that many deaf people use exaggerated face expressions. It tends to come with having to express yourself through sign. It is a way of expressing emotion. The sign can express the words, you use the way you hold your body and your face to express the emotion.

Doing sign language with just your hands and no emotion is similar to just reading something as opposed to hearing someone talk. When you hear a person you can hear the inflections and tone.
    I can understand expressive and impassioned gesticulation among sign language users but can also tell the difference between that and exasperation at mommy when he doesn't like what she has to say or when she's apparently cramping his style.

No, Meezy, I don't think you understand at all. Maurader is right on the money. It is often the only way people who have limited vocal and hearing ability can emphasize their communications. Out of curiosity, have you had any experience with disabilities of any kind?

brown and red and nasty.

well, unless you have a believable and reasonable explanation how 'exaggeration' and 'exasperation' are somehow uniquely indistinguishable among the deaf, i'm not sure why that matters?
    Last edited by meezy; 03-04-2009 at 04:10 AM.

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by meezy;3366631;
    well, unless you have a believable and reasonable explanation how 'exaggeration' and 'exasperation' are somehow uniquely indistinguishable among the deaf, i'm not sure why that matters?
    While he has shown some frustration with his mother is a very typical mother/son way, much of what you see is a result of deaf communication. I had the privilege of spending some time at a school for the deaf while in college as part of a philanthropic effort. I also have some family friends who are deaf. From that experience I would say that there is nothing atypical in what we are seeing. Luke may be more expressive than some and less than others, but it is very common for body and facial expressions to be more pronounced than their hearing counterparts.

That being said, I'm a mom with a son who would probably react much the same. Biggest difference is that he does not have a hearing issue except by choice. I laughed at his exasperation. As a mom, I understood and loved the fact that he stilll obviously respects and loves his mom.
    Last edited by NCLurker; 03-04-2009 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NCLurker;3366956;
    While he has shown some frustration with his mother is a very typical mother/son way, much of what you see is a result of deaf communication. I had the privilege of spending some time at a school for the deaf while in college as part of a philanthropic effort. I also have some family friends who are deaf. From that experience I would say that there is nothing atypical in what we are seeing. Luke may be more expressive than some and less than others, but it is very common for body and facial expressions to be more pronounced than their hearing counterparts.

That being said, I'm a mom with a son who would probably react much the same. Biggest difference is that he does not have a hearing issue except by choice. I laughed at his exasperation. As a mom, I understood and loved the fact that he stilll obviously respects and loves his mom.

GREAT POST, NC LURKER!!!

Meezy, you still haven't answered my question. Do you have any real world experience with people with some sort of disability? It seems to me that you don't or if you do it was such a negative experience that you have some sort of bias.

All of that is JMO. Take a second and stop trying so hard to be right. Listen to what NC Lurker, Marauder and Crimson are trying to tell you.

+ Reply to Thread