+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Margie & Luke - TAR 14

FORT Fogey

Re: Margie & Luke - TAR 14

All this mommy talk has got me to thinking about what it must be like for a kid - and a parent - to raise a deaf child in the early years.

In particular the toddler and terrible 2's. These years are when kids test boundaries. They cry, throw tantrums, etc. as a way of separating themselves from their parents to become more independent.

It is also a time when speech skills are just developing. I wonder how that separation happens? I can see it if the kid can sign, but if he/she can't, it must be horribly frustrating not to be able to express oneself to develop that independence.

I imagine being deaf may be an incredibly isolating experience. Which, in turn, would have a significant impact on determining how deaf people interact with the hearing world, how they behave socially, etc.

Combined with the teasing, taunting, assumptions of stupidity, etc. I think that Luke and his mother can be excused from minor social transgressions they MAY have made in this competition. And personally, I don't think they've made any (compare with the red-headed chearleader whose rudeness is completely unforgiveable).

As much as we like to think Luke should behave the same as hearing people, and as much as I'm certain Luke would like to have equal respect in the hearing world, his social development and ways of interacting with the world ARE different. And, Margie's experience as a mother is different from that of most mothers, and it will be reflected in her responses.

To expect Margie and Luke to behave the way the hearing world thinks they should behave makes no sense to me. True tolerance requires an understanding and respect of where people come from to be who they are today.

My vote is for Margie and Luke all the way. Next to them, my choice would have been Kisha and Jen.
    Last edited by Jexter; 05-10-2009 at 05:59 AM.

FORT Regular

I agree with you 1000 percent Jexter.

As do I.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Post-show, Luke proves to be as bratty and entitled as ever. He stated in a video that he and his mother should have won because they "have a special story" and that Victor bothered him because he always "wanted to be on the plane first." I wonder why, Luke?

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the idea of the game? I'm telling you, some people open their mouths and stupid just falls out!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinkOtterPop;3443777;
    Post-show, Luke proves to be as bratty and entitled as ever. He stated in a video that he and his mother should have won because they "have a special story" and that Victor bothered him because he always "wanted to be on the plane first." I wonder why, Luke?
    ugh! that just makes me even more happy that Tammy & Victor won!
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;3442560;
    I imagine being deaf may be an incredibly isolating experience. Which, in turn, would have a significant impact on determining how deaf people interact with the hearing world, how they behave socially, etc.

As much as we like to think Luke should behave the same as hearing people, and as much as I'm certain Luke would like to have equal respect in the hearing world, his social development and ways of interacting with the world ARE different. And, Margie's experience as a mother is different from that of most mothers, and it will be reflected in her responses.

To expect Margie and Luke to behave the way the hearing world thinks they should behave makes no sense to me. True tolerance requires an understanding and respect of where people come from to be who they are today.

My vote is for Margie and Luke all the way. Next to them, my choice would have been Kisha and Jen.

Great post. Thanks for putting this into terms that some can sympathize with; and then for the others who just don't care. Margie and Luke really did have to work twice as hard as everyone else on this race. I think many posters aren't realizing that.

Come on now. Luke acts like an overprotected whiner. He had yet another meltdown while doing the surf board game. He was winning by a huge margin in a game that required NO talking or communication with a hearing person whatsoever. And please, how did Margie and Luke have to work twice as hard as anyone else while carrying the pig at the Luau. Margie is aces, but it would appear that she has brought Luke to believe, despite Luke's obvious intelligence and physical strength and other capabilities, that he can count on his disability for sympathy and extra credit. I think they performed laudibly to have gotten to the finale, but I would say Luke needs a dose of responsibility. (And, by the way, I do think he got a dose of reality and showed what he could do when he wasn't using his "No more, I quit" routine.)

I thought Luke held his composure quite well during the surfboard challenge. At least, compared to the Chekhov (sp?) challenge he did. That one was a meltdown.

FORT Fanatic

I have a lot of respect for these 2 making it to the finals. Margie especailly turned out to be one tough competitor. I think it's admirable that they took on this challenge together.

+ Reply to Thread