+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: LaKisha & Jennifer - TAR 14

Re: LaKisha & Jennifer - TAR 14

I agree that Luke should have been able to control his anger and Margie was out of line for some of what she said however I thought the sisters were also out of line. I found them to be quite annoying the last couple of shows.

Quote Originally Posted by KeepItReal;3418743;
    A totally overblown situation, and as I said elsewhere, for all that they may have done wrong, I give them credit for not responding when race was thrown into the mix. The older sister even apologized for any perceived slights. They are not innocent, but def. not villians either. Nor do I think Luke and Margie are villians. The same applies. I think it was a "heat of the race" moment, and I'll have the greater respect for whichever team will allow the situation to blow over and is able to put it behind them the quickest.
    I'm sorry but I do not see where race was thrown into the mix at all. I've seen others mention this but I just don't believe that happened. If it did they would have played it up more and there would be no question and it would be very clear.
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

Quote Originally Posted by stacerace;3419526;
    I'm sorry but I do not see where race was thrown into the mix at all. I've seen others mention this but I just don't believe that happened. If it did they would have played it up more and there would be no question and it would be very clear.
    Margie referred to Jen & Kisha as "people like you". She never elaborated on what she meant by it, but it was said in the heat of the moment. J&K just kept smiling rather than inquire about it further. They kept their game faces on the whole time, and didn't lose their cool and give in to an emotional outburst like Margie did.

J&K may not have shown the best sportsmanship, but it shows they excel at gamesmanship. Margie's rant was wasted energy; if the producers had seen anything worth handing out a penalty for, they would have had Phil dole them out when people first got to the mat.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by stacerace;3419526;
    Aside from the "people like you" line she directly said "You should understand the pressure because you're black and you've lived with it". She clearly brought race into the mix.

I just wanted to add, that I also watched both incidents a second time. I really didn't see Jen commit an intentional foul in the first instance. They arrived at the box at virtually the same time, Luke had better body position and blocked the box. Jen still tried to grab the clue. Everything was fine until that point. The elbow is what escalated that problem, and then the "b&^ch" comment. Was that elbow intentional or natural reaction, who knows? I gave him the benefit of the doubt, thought both the elbow and her verbal reaction were heat of the moment. Done deal. Anything beyond that is overkill.

Second incident also seemed very much like an accident. Jen even seemed to react as if it were. The problem was Luke insisted on bringing it to the mat, and it turned into a dirty verbal altercation. It should have been used as a source of inspiration to kick each others butts during the next leg, but all of this blowup is what annoys me the most about a situation. If both teams had used it as motivation, no matter how ill the source of that motivation was, that should have been the end of it.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;3419617;
    Margie referred to Jen & Kisha as "people like you". She never elaborated on what she meant by it, but it was said in the heat of the moment. J&K just kept smiling rather than inquire about it further. They kept their game faces on the whole time, and didn't lose their cool and give in to an emotional outburst like Margie did.

J&K may not have shown the best sportsmanship, but it shows they excel at gamesmanship. Margie's rant was wasted energy; if the producers had seen anything worth handing out a penalty for, they would have had Phil dole them out when people first got to the mat.
    Okay, I understand that people want to hear different things and the way they hear things depends alot on their own personal background. However, "people like you" does not imply a racial meaning. It could mean, Former cheerleaders, who as women were leared at by men. Or a host of other things.

How anyone can defend the laughing when a person who is deaf is trying to speak about why he reacted the way he did is beyond me. To have the desire to compete in the amazing race with no hearing is amazing. What mother wouldnt defend her deaf son? Think about it...he cant hear when someone comes up behing him to reach for a cluebox. Like Lakisha did. Karma is a b-word.

Quote Originally Posted by imissme;3419761;

Okay, I understand that people want to hear different things and the way they hear things depends alot on their own personal background. However, "people like you" does not imply a racial meaning. It could mean, Former cheerleaders, who as women were leared at by men. Or a host of other things.

How anyone can defend the laughing when a person who is deaf is trying to speak about why he reacted the way he did is beyond me. To have the desire to compete in the amazing race with no hearing is amazing. What mother wouldnt defend her deaf son? Think about it...he cant hear when someone comes up behing him to reach for a cluebox. Like Lakisha did. Karma is a b-word.
    The answer to your question is right there in your reply. Perception. There are those who believe they were laughing at a deaf guy, and those who believe that she was not. She's done that same smiling thing before, and knows what was in her mind and heart at that moment. None of us do. Some will choose to believe the worst, some will give people the benefit of the doubt before you saddle them with labels.

I don't think I know enough about any of these people to believe I can be correct about their feelings and actions. We all have our opinions here, and that's just fine. It's why we post. Anyone who has ever had one of their actions perceived differenty than what you intended should know you can't draw such strong conclusions based on one overblown incident. In my eyes, the sisters didn't pick on the deaf, and although as my previous post stated Margie did directly mention the sisters race and not just the "people like you" line you quoted, she is not a racist. It's a race. Period. A game. Pure sport. It can get intense, people can become unglued. It's why we watch, and it's exactly what happened. Sorry, no victims here. People playing the game hard. Like I said before, my respect will go to the team that is able to put this behind themselves the quickest next week.

I never liked LaKisha, but up until this episode, I did like Jennifer. Now I can't stand either of them. Regardless of their motivation to act the way they did, they came across like little manipulative snots with all their button pushing. I can't stand people like that. And I was never a Luke fan, so this has nothing to do with how I feel about him.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

FORT Fogey

The race part caught me so by surprise, and I really hand it to the sisters for not getting into it at that point. When M said something like, "you should know how it feels because you are black and lived with it your whole life..." I thought Whoa, there's no cause to bring race into this situation. It was a situational, emotional incident based on the heat of the race, and escalating it with the disability and race issues is bringing it way out of proportion. Yes, she's a mother and protective, but that was uncalled for, and this can only go downhill unless she apologizes.

I think she needs to apologize for using such a broken philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by NFL1;3419793;
    The race part caught me so by surprise, and I really hand it to the sisters for not getting into it at that point. When M said something like, "you should know how it feels because you are black and lived with it your whole life..." I thought Whoa, there's no cause to bring race into this situation. It was a situational, emotional incident based on the heat of the race, and escalating it with the disability and race issues is bringing it way out of proportion. Yes, she's a mother and protective, but that was uncalled for, and this can only go downhill unless she apologizes.
    Margie did NOT say that though. People are putting words into her mouth here (see the bolded statement above in quotation marks). She could have been referring to something that they had talked about previously that wasn't aired and has nothing to do with race at all. This has really been annoying me because we don't have enough evidence to show that she was bringing race into the mix. Not to mention the fact that if she was being racist, don't you think that Jen and Kisha would have reacted to that and that the show would have played it up BIG TIME? In fact, I honestly didn't even catch that she said it the first time. All I heard was "And you should know better". It was only after people were crying racist that I ran it back and heard the words "And people like you should know better". I really hate it when people are accused of being racist when they're not. As a white woman, that has happened to me a few times and it makes me angry because I'm not like that at all. A lady that I used to work with would put words in my mouth all the time and it used to make me really mad and after I finally stood up to her and called her on her BS she respected me for it and I was her favorite person from then on. Anyway, Margie may possibly have been talking about race but my whole point is that we simply don't have enough evidence to say if she did or not so I think it's unfair to make assumptions based on no evidence.

BTW: I am not condoning her rant and I am no longer rooting for Margie and Luke but I had to say this because it was totally bugging me.
    Last edited by stacerace; 04-24-2009 at 01:41 AM.
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast