+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 11/09 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

FORT Fogey

Re: 11/09 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

I love this show, but I have such a difficult time watching people lose that I have to change the channel at the end - even when I know who it is.

Same with Survivor (on most occassions, anyway). I tend to like nearly all the contestants. Even when people are being extreme, I can't really blame them much given the conditions they have to endure.

For most other competitive shows, I don't seem to have this problem. Just these two.

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar

I too was not sad to see the divorcees go. They were very mean spirited and juvenile. They acted just like they were back in high school. "If you had to make out with Andrew or Dan, which one would you pick?" Yikes. Just nasty.
    While I am not a Ken & Tina fan, I was impressed with their ability to complete their extra task, catch up, and pass the other contestants. When they were stuck in traffic, I thought they were pretty smart, getting out and clearing a path for their cabbie.
    My favorites are still the Brother & Sister and Mom & Son teams... they work well together as teams, and seem to be genuinely nice people. I liked how Mom mentioned that she is now seeing her son in a whole new light, as a very capable person. Sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;3232248;
    I tend to like nearly all the contestants. Even when people are being extreme, I can't really blame them much given the conditions they have to endure.
    That's an excellent point. Some people degrade those on TAR and others for how they act when in other countries...but they tend to forget these are everyday people thrust into a society/culture/environment that, perhaps as normal travelers they would not act as they do sometimes. They are under an extreme amount of pressure to do the race, and on top of that they're in an environment that is totally foreign to them (pun intended).

I appreciate it when those doing these races take the time to be polite and try to do the right thing, however, to degrade others that don't is a bit extreme.

Of course, I have a bias against those that would degrade this country to begin with...so a grain of salt, please.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

I agree that the harsh conditions of either the Race or Survivor, etc., can bring out the best or the worst in people. If stress tends to bring out the very worst in you, it does say something about who you are... there is simply no need to be nasty to fellow racers or locals for no reason.

I've read a couple of Kelly and Christie's interviews, (I don't think they did them under any kind of extreme stress), and they are the same nasty, dillusional, awful people they showed themselves to be during the race.

A couple of people in this thread stated that they felt K/C were stronger competitors than Dandrew. I'd love to know why they think so, because I'm simply not seeing it. They did well at only two tasks, as far as I can remember, and in both of them, they got lucky. [Warrior identification (thier guy was in the front row- one of the first), Kiwi stomping (their spout didn't clog like it did for many of the racers)]
    In this show alone, Dandrew did better than them at the paint/clue task. As far as I'm concerned, Dandrew also did better at the hydrolinenumber task... they were obviously liked well enough that Ken and Tina were willing to help them... that's just as much a part of the game as the ability to do tasks. I've a feeling that K/T wouldn't have done the same for K/C.

Quote Originally Posted by Tivoer;3232341;
    That's an excellent point. Some people degrade those on TAR and others for how they act when in other countries...but they tend to forget these are everyday people thrust into a society/culture/environment that, perhaps as normal travelers they would not act as they do sometimes. They are under an extreme amount of pressure to do the race, and on top of that they're in an environment that is totally foreign to them (pun intended).

I appreciate it when those doing these races take the time to be polite and try to do the right thing, however, to degrade others that don't is a bit extreme.

Of course, I have a bias against those that would degrade this country to begin with...so a grain of salt, please.
    When you consider that quite a number of those doing TAR don't degenerate into world class jackasses while on the road, you have to assume that it is possible to remain a decent human being even under trying circumstances. And therefore I shall continue to be disdainful of those who do show their jackassy side on a too-regular basis.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Fan

I'd like to take some time to thank TAR, and specifically Kelly & Christy, for the teaching moment I was able to have with my 10 year old son. You see, he doesn't enjoy reading and doesn't understand the importance of reading comprehension. It gave me much joy to be able to use TAR as a real-life example of the importance of reading words correctly and understanding what they mean. Thank you, TAR. And thank you, Kelly & Christy!

Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Speak;3232150;
    Yes.
    TAR 10 was the last season with interesting teams.

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat;3232439;
    A couple of people in this thread stated that they felt K/C were stronger competitors than Dandrew. I'd love to know why they think so, because I'm simply not seeing it. They did well at only two tasks, as far as I can remember, and in both of them, they got lucky. [Warrior identification (thier guy was in the front row- one of the first), Kiwi stomping (their spout didn't clog like it did for many of the racers)]
    In this show alone, Dandrew did better than them at the paint/clue task. As far as I'm concerned, Dandrew also did better at the hydrolinenumber task... they were obviously liked well enough that Ken and Tina were willing to help them... that's just as much a part of the game as the ability to do tasks. I've a feeling that K/T wouldn't have done the same for K/C.
    Dandrew have always been checking into the pit stop in the lower tier. They have never found themselves in the upper half of the pack, whereas Kelly & Christy have placed as high as 2nd. Dandrew may have done well at a couple of tasks (painting the tuk tuk in Leg 6), but they're not as strong as K&C were IMO. K&C definitely had their weakensses; their biggest weakness was not reading the clues correctly, which is why they lost a lot time. But Dandrew have bickered with each other from time to time (the preview for next week's episode show them doing so), and K&C seem to have one of the tightest bonds out of all the racers.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

You're probably right. I just despise K/C so much, all I can see is their weaknesses. In interviews, they spend way too much time saying how much smarter they are than Dandrew too, and I hate that. Also, that Tina and Ken wanted to help Dandrew because K/c were better competitors... which I think is RIDICULOUS.

In one interview, they actually said this... "we are stronger competitors than Andrew and Dan, who we would have beaten if [we had remained in the race]. "
    How can one even say such a ridiculous thing? We would have beaten them if they hadn't beaten us first? What?

Yes, if you're stronger competitors, you should come out first. Those 2 divorces are stupid. Christy is the worse of the 2, she talks non stop. Kelly isn't as bad but then she hangs out with Christy.

+ Reply to Thread