+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920 LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 195

Thread: 4/8 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

  1. #181
    CCL
    CCL is online now
    Climbing Solsbury Hill CCL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    8,657

    Re: 4/8 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

    Originally Posted by CEO
    How is it, once again, that two teams with professional travel advisers who book tickets every day (the Concierge for O&D and the travel agent on the phone for U&J), cannot find the flight with the 2 hour head-start; but the team with the most drama can find it quick and easy on their own? TAR has used the airlines to gain a favorable (to them) outcome enough in the past to make me feel like I am not crazy for feeling a little suspicious.
    Mirna & Charla's flight had two connections. The "professional advisers" probably thought the less connections the better (all the other teams only had one connection). Also, I don't know that I would call the concierge (who helped one team) a travel professional. I'm sure he knows a lot about travel and tourism but his expertise might not be booking plane tickets.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rembrant
    Eric & Danielle. Boy, where can I begin with these two? Eric still keeps his place as one of the individual team members I've hated the most in the race, as in ever, and every single appearence of his makes me despise him even more. The guy is rude, condescending, immature, just downright gross and has about no redeemign qualities. Heck, for being so driven, he's pretty damn lazy. And am I really the only one who found the "dirty pirate hookers" comment rude and not the slightest bit funny? Danielle isn't much better, but she's basically a non-entity to me so I couldn't care less about her. I can only hope this "team" is the next one eliminated, then the final 3 teams would be absolutely perfect, as I like them all.


    Regarding taking a taxi to the detour. I know they said to travel on foot to the batik task - did they say that for the cookie task too? I know they were different distances apart but I don't know that the difference was great enough that one place you had to go on foot and one you did not. Danielle & Eric took a taxi to the cookie task, along with Charla & Mirna. If they were wrong to go on foot, I would think they would have had a penalty (they've shown them giving such penalites before, of course). It is possible that they were given a penalty that was not shown (ie maybe someone kept them from entering the pit stop - though that seems unlikely). I would have thought that Phil would have said something to them as they entered. Maybe there will be a bit at the beginning of the next episode about each team getting a penalty?
    Last edited by CCL; 04-09-2007 at 04:32 PM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

  2. #182
    FoRT Lurker CrossingGuard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bay Area / Boston
    Age
    21
    Posts
    5,836

    Re: 4/8 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by CCL;2321502;
    I know they said to travel on foot to the batik task - did they say that for the cookie task too?
    I thought that the teams who went to the batik task had to take a taxi and the ones who went to the coookie task had to go on foot.

  3. #183
    FORT & TAR addict RacheL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    kay-elle
    Posts
    35

    Re: 4/8 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by Krom;2320486;
    Look at it practically. The kids are simply reacting to seeing someone they've seen on T.V. (TAR has played there, I've definitely read that). It might not necessarily be fandom as much as simple fascination--especially with the little person.
    Yup TAR has been shown on Malaysian TV without fail ever since season 1. Both pay TV and free-to-air stations have shown several seasons, up to AS now. So all teams' faces have graced Malaysian TV screens previously and its no surprise that some people recognise them. Maybe thats how spoilers have leaked? Just my guess.

  4. #184
    cyd
    cyd is offline
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    5

    Re: 4/8 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;2321459;
    The Boobs = Eric and Danielle

    On this board, people commonly refer to Dustin & Kandice as the BQs.
    Got it--Thanks! I noticed that D&K were also the BQs, but hadn't gotten the "Boobs" moniker for E&D, though it does seem very appropriate.

    Tonight I'll look for E&D taking a taxi to the detour.

  5. #185
    cyd
    cyd is offline
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    5

    Re: 4/8 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;2321519;
    I thought that the teams who went to the batik task had to take a taxi and the ones who went to the coookie task had to go on foot.
    Nope, these are quotes from Phil as he described the tasks - "on foot 1/3 of a mile" to the batik and "on foot 1/2 a mile" to the cookies.

    Maybe with such small distances involved, they decided to just forget the penalties, because they didn't change the order of the teams' arrivals at the pit stop? I was still expecting Phil to say something about it at the end though.

  6. #186
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    8,164

    Re: 4/8 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by cyd;2321625;
    Nope, these are quotes from Phil as he described the tasks - "on foot 1/3 of a mile" to the batik and "on foot 1/2 a mile" to the cookies.

    Maybe with such small distances involved, they decided to just forget the penalties, because they didn't change the order of the teams' arrivals at the pit stop? I was still expecting Phil to say something about it at the end though.
    Often times when explaining the tasks, Phil will describe the distance because it comes in to play with the choice. If one of the tasks is significantly farther away than the other, that plays a factor in teams deciding which to do. Just because he describes the distance "on foot" does not mean the rules are written that they must walk to the task. Sometimes they are told specifically how they must travel. Other times, it's up to them.

  7. #187
    Ms Ambusher dberk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Age
    56
    Posts
    4,461

    Re: 4/8 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea;2321253;
    Ok, I'll admit it. The "dirty pirate hookers" line made me cringe and burst out laughing simultaneously.

    Was the taste of licorice (which I hate btw so I'd be gagging) what they were looking for or the black centre?

    So, now that they are so far away and close to the finish, do the eliminated teams go to Mexico or are they put up along the way or somewhere else?
    I think D/K probably laughed about Eric's comment when they saw this ep.

    Both or either

    I would image they have one location for all of the eliminated teams and picked Mexico because it is out of the US, but close by.

    Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard
    The Boobs = Eric and Danielle
    Because Danielle HAS prominent boobs and Eric IS a prominent boob.

    Quote Originally Posted by kimrs
    I really love the ChaCha's. Even when they are fighting it is so calm. Danny seems to be the emotional one in the partnership, but Oswald just let him work his way through it. They are a really great team
    I disagree. D/O should have stopped and discussed the pros/cons about the tasks since they both had strong opinions about their choices. By taking a few minutes to do this they could have reasoned out that the cookies were a terrible idea and made it to Phil long before the above mentioned Boobs. Danny needed to "suck it up" even more than DD on the newspaper route. He wasted money buying new newspapers because he was too lazy to find old ones that needed to be recycled - the point of the task. When Danny told Oz about the snack break, Oz wasn't amused and proclaimed them even. Oz got the looks and brains on that team, but he needs a new backbone so that the next time Danny wants to do something stupid, he will care more about winning the race than hurting his partner's overly sensitive feelings.

  8. #188
    Forum Assistant sweetpea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,966

    Re: 4/8 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

    Yeah, I think Danny had finally "hit the wall" when it came to the newspaper task. We all know how our Chacha's like to be hydrated, so he was probably really hot, tired, and dehydrated. Also, they were the last teams to try this, and it figures that the houses immediately surrounding the task would have been picked clean of newspapers at this point, so they would have to venture further out to get the required amount.

    For some reason we thought that D/O would be penalized for buying the papers from a store rather than collecting them from houses, but apparently that was ok by the rules. Stupid to waste their money on that though. Hope it doesn't come back to bite them in the butt if they need cab fare or something.

    I have to agree that Ozzy has the looks and the brains. I even approached Mr. Sweetpea about the possibility of bringing Ozzy in as my 2nd husband, purely platonic of course. He could do all the fun things with me that Mr. S hates, and I think he'd be great fun to hang out with. One can dream, right?

  9. #189
    FORT Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    60

    Re: 4/8 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea;2321820;
    Yeah, I think Danny had finally "hit the wall" when it came to the newspaper task. We all know how our Chacha's like to be hydrated, so he was probably really hot, tired, and dehydrated. Also, they were the last teams to try this, and it figures that the houses immediately surrounding the task would have been picked clean of newspapers at this point, so they would have to venture further out to get the required amount.

    For some reason we thought that D/O would be penalized for buying the papers from a store rather than collecting them from houses, but apparently that was ok by the rules. Stupid to waste their money on that though. Hope it doesn't come back to bite them in the butt if they need cab fare or something.

    I have to agree that Ozzy has the looks and the brains. I even approached Mr. Sweetpea about the possibility of bringing Ozzy in as my 2nd husband, purely platonic of course. He could do all the fun things with me that Mr. S hates, and I think he'd be great fun to hang out with. One can dream, right?
    Of the two, Oswald is clearly smarter and more methodical that Danny. In fact, if you look at all the videos from CBS, Oswald always does all the arrangement with their flights. He asks questions, he thinks about the pros and cons, he writes them down, his people skills are impecable, etc... His response to the choice of the cookie task plus his interpretation on how the task has to be done were all correct. Even on the batik challenge, he was right again to want the lady to show them first how to do it. All of which were brushed aside by Danny. His only problem is that he is rather too sensitive. He spent the most part of the newspaper roadblock worrying that Danny is angry with him and that Danny must be too hot and dehydrated. He is such a sweetie.

  10. #190
    pop culture whore pg13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Age
    49
    Posts
    572

    Re: 4/8 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

    That's it. CBS HAS to change the name of this season.

    It CANNOT be the All-Stars because of the teams that chose their detour in this episode, all but one of them chose the cookie challenge.

    That is NOT the choice that an "All-Star" team makes.

    It combined "needle in the haystack" and "eating" challenges--which are BOTH the challenges that you avoid, if you can at all avoid them.

    First to make the decision were Schmirna... I watched this and said out loud "Well, even Charla and Mirna aren't stupid enough to--" AND THEN HAD TO SHUT UP WHEN THEY BOTH EXCITEDLY CHOSE THE "cooooooookeeeeeee" challenge.

    Let's turn on the wayback machine... Remember Charla and the chocolate challenge...how sick she got? WELL, WHY DOESN'T SHE?

    But, ok...I've got little if no respect for Charla and Mirna at all (sorry Rembrant...but we've been on opposite sides of this for years, haven't we? ) Certainly, my favorite remaining team...Team Cha Cha Cha...who have proven to be calm, thoughtful, intelligent and able to see the bigger picture (as shown very clearly in their decision to go for the safer connection flight than to take the same risk that doomed U&J earlier in the episode)...certainly THEY will make the obviously correct choice and--WHAT THE HELL IS DANNY TALKING ABOUT? THE COOKIES WILL BE EASIER? NO!!!! WHAT THE HELL IS DANNY TALKING ABOUT--ONLY HAVING TO TRY ONE COOKIE IN EACH BOX????? NO!!!!

    Well, at least Oswald talked some sense into Danny and they're going to do the other task and--WHAT THE HELL IS DANNY TALKING ABOUT??? GO BACK AND DO THE COOKIE CHALLENGE??? NO!!!!!

    And when Eric and his two friends (whatever Danielle is smuggling in that thing she calls a "shirt") made the choice to do the cookies, I realized that CBS should be FORCED, by the laws regarding truth in advertising, to change the name of this year's show.

    The Amazing Race: Bonehead Edition.

    And what does it say that the BQ's were the only team to choose the obviously better detour choice? I know that some of you will want to think that it shows that the BQ's are a smart team running a smart race. (Crossing Guard...I'm looking at you here. Now, I'm waving. Because this is just a tv show and you can like the BQ's and still be a good person...as I'm sure you are... )

    That proves that the BQ's are running a smart race? Sorry, but I simply can't agree. I think it shows, even more clearly, how this season is NOT made up of the All-Stars--the teams who are good at this Amazing Race stuff--because if the only team that made the right decision are the freakin' BQ's, that's the proof in the pudding how un-All-Star-ry this season is...

    And Uchenna and Joyce. On one hand, I can't begrudge them taking a risk and trying to gain an advantage...

    Wait. Who am I kidding? Of COURSE, I can.

    They risked a million dollars to gain a possible 45 minutes lead at the start of a leg--and the start of a leg when there were still more than a handful of teams left and you KNOW there'd be equalizers to bring everyone back together at some point? That's not a smart bet.

    Enron. Worldcom. Infertility. Frankfurt.

    Sigh. U&J were a team I certainly rooted for in Season 7. And this year, they were one of the few teams that I didn't actively dislike.

    For those of you keeping score, we're down to one team that I don't dislike, now...Oswald & Danny. After that, it's just seething hatred for the awful people who remain and I'm depending upon the blind faith that my love of TAR, itself--regardless of my feelings about those who are racing it, that it will be enough to allow me to suffer through the next episodes filled by the likes of the BQ's, Schmirna and E&D.

    And I hope that's a good bet.

    pg--much love to Rembrant and Crossing Guard...I keeed, I keeed--seattle

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.