+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: 3/25 Delayed Start Show Discussion Thread **spoilers**

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyaltyBuff;2297758;
    muggle -- I can't believe you typed those words either! But, there are other 'unfair' equalizers throughout each TAR that bunches teams up - park hours, etc.
    Yes, but those equalizers are pre-determined. The "oh the weather is bad, we can't sail today" seemed to be a last minute excuse, like the producers were scrambling to find a way to let the other teams catch up. At least to me and those viewing with me.

I wonder what Ian meant by a "free housing offer." It sounds strange, like they were handing out houses to those people who booked a plane ticket. But the fact that there was some offer/incentive does explain why the planes were so full.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

FORT Newbie
    I hate to say it but that was a smart move by Charla and Mirna. I personally am not rooting for them but I give credit where credit is due. Of course luck had alot to do with it too though. Sometimes a risk pays off like that.

FORT Newbie
    I meant to add that I work for an air line and always fly standby like they all were. I have flown some WEIRD routes just to get home when the flights were overbooked. They were smart to get to the next airport and at least be one step ahead of everyone else.

I've come to understand that there's just no pleasing so-called TAR fans.

Every season people complain about the bunching...and then when an episode manages to avoid all of the course-creators' best efforts to keep the teams in a competitive group, people are complaining about how it's boring with the teams so spread out.

I didn't think this episode was boring--you still had two teams working on the last task before the pitstop at the exact same time. You had the elements of luck, skill and risk all in play at the airport. You had a physical challenge, a mental challenge and the unpredictability of weather... You had annoying teams being annoying and adorable teams being adorable. What more could a TAR fan want?

pg

PS--There are some pitstops that are "after a mandatory twelve hour rest period" and there are other pitstops that are "after a mandatory rest period"--which, I believe, have been as long as three days (when setting up the next leg has been hampered by weather, politics or other concerns.)

PPS--Also, in the finale of season one, when the Guidos were eliminated on the course for being so far behind, it wasn't that they hit a pitstop after other teams had already rested and gone--it was a TASK (to sleep in the Alaskan wilderness for a pre-set amount of hours.) Every so often TAR does a "non-pitstop mandatory rest task" (remember the tents in Family TAR, or the glacier camping...)--so, what happened to them there doesn't quite relate to what'll happen at the beginning of the next episode.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pg13;2297880;
    I've come to understand that there's just no pleasing so-called TAR fans.
    As an actual TAR fan I still found the episode boring. Not because of the disparities in departure times, but because the show was akin to watching paint dry.

Over 30 minutes of the 60 minute program was taken up with people milling around airports whining and crying about the lack of flights to their destination. Although I have no love for Mirna and Schmirna they at least created some drama by thinking outside the box and taking the flight to Jo’berg. (the highlight of the show)

At the detour we were treated to teams ‘solving’ a puzzle reminiscent of the puzzles I bought for my 5 and 6 year old nieces this Christmas, and a physical challenge with the nail biting moment when the Beauty Queen's cart toppled as some frat boys made wolf calls at them.

As far as the weather conspiracy… I’ll leave that to others to debate, but I certainly wasn’t entertained by it. In fact, until I read about it on this thread it didn’t even register as a ‘moment’.

The roadblock piqued my interest as I watched the Masai jumping up and down, but it got old quickly as I watched the contestants hurl the weapon over and over again at the target. People say baseball is boring, but at least there’s subtle strategy in America’s pastime. The roadblock challenge didn’t even have that going for it.

As for the faux ‘races’ to the pit stop, I’d be surprised if anyone was fooled by the horrible attempt at editing in ‘suspense’.

In the end, I couldn’t care less about the bunching or spreading out of the teams. I found the episode boring on its merits. (or lack there of)
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

The tasks have been so disappointing this whole season - how could they drop off so much from the last TAR? I really hope next week lives up to its preview - can't wait to see the task with the armor.
    "if at first you don't succeed, destroy any evidence that you ever tried" - The Office

Quote Originally Posted by kimrs;2297224;
    Danielle speaks like a dock worker and Eric is a tool.
    What a waste of red wine! I took a drink while reading this and started laughing/choking and spit most of it out. I love your assessment, it's BANG on.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyaltyBuff;2297758;
    Ian said on ES that the reason the flights were so full was that there was a free housing offer or something like that to the teams destination, which filled the flights. I believe that had TPTB known this, they would have pre-bought some seats to keep them from being that spreadout. It will be interesting to see what happens with the next departures on Sunday.
    What Ian really said on the Elimination Station (and on the Early Show) was that there was "a religious migration going on and how there were about 10,000 people in the airport, all trying to get on planes.

Peggy, the Elimination Station host, stated that it must have been like a Woodstock or free housing or something like that....simply meaning that everyone and their brother seemed to be at the airport trying to get on a plane.

Ian also said that they experienced the same kind of problems after being eliminated and trying to fly out to sequesterville. Thousands of people were trying to fly home from that religious migration.

Still, I would have thought that TPTB would have been aware of the timing of the filming and how it would have been around the same time as this religious migration, and planned something differently....like having three charter flights take off at different times and having the teams who arrived first get the best flight and those trailing in the back get onto the last flight.

I also read on the cbs site that C&M arrived at the dock at around 2:30 in the afternoon. Imagine the lead they would have had if they didn't have to wait until 5:30 the next morning to get on that boat!

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea;2298136;
    What a waste of red wine! I took a drink while reading this and started laughing/choking and spit most of it out. I love your assessment, it's BANG on.

Thank you

They were likeable for not being themelves and sort of staying in the background for the first few eps, but recently they have reverted to their true forms as the challenge heats up.

FORT Upperclassman
    I enjoyed this episode for being different. TAR was becoming too formulamatic in that the teams would fly to another destination all on the same flight, or be on one of two charters, and experience a detour/roadblock that had an hours of operation issue.

And, I have enjoyed this season so far, many good challenges, diverse characters, and healthy competition between the teams.

Charla and Mirna took a chance and it paid off. I enjoy seeing teams taking risks. I think Dustin and Kandice took a risk too by their choice at the Detour, although it didn't pay off for them. Their placement would have only moved up one, and their mistake mostly likely will not cost them as I'm sure their will be another bunching early in the next leg.

I don't think that TAR Producers manipulated anything by the delay of Charla and Mirna at the dhow ferry. I'm sure they are aware of prior criticisms and are sensitive as such. Therefore, they wouldn't have shown the sky right Charla and Mirna were told by the dhow operators they would be delayed by weather. Likewise, the sky shot could have been any time, any place. Could have been from my backyard last Tuesday for all I know.

+ Reply to Thread