+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Uchenna and Joyce - All Stars

Re: Uchenna and Joyce - All Stars

What were they thinking taking such a risk for a possible 40 minute advantage?

I am very sorry to see Uchenna and Joyce go. they are two of my all-time favorite racers. I do think they made a very bad decision to take the riskier flight, but maybe they felt the need to step up their game to try to stay in first place. Too bad they couldn't find the first flight that Schmirna did, then they would still be in front, but Oswald and Danny would be going home.

I hope that the race brought home to Uchenna and Joyce how much they love and support one and another. I hope that everything back in the real world works out for them.

CEO

I am surprised that the flight they missed didn't come back to the gate and pick them up...
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Leo
    Premium Member

I'm surprised a team like Uchenna and Joyce made such a careless mistake. It has to be one of the most reckless gambles in TAR history.

FORT Fogey

I think that Uchenna and Joyce illustrated just how caught up you can get in the competition, and how that can hinder logical thinking. They were focused solely on getting into first place - the mindset that the only option was to arrive first. Had they stepped back to think about it for a minute (as I believe Oswald and Danny did) they would have logically realized what a tiny advantage the earlier flight would give them - that the reward did not justify the risk. But, in the heat of the competition, I can understand how you get so focused on getting their first that you'd not really think it out logically.

I liked them too, and I'm sorry to see them go. Having said that, though, I didn't want to see them win again. I'd rather see another team claim the prize. I think Veruka is right, they got focused on the idea of how brilliant it would be to take a risk and have it pay off by getting them there first. They seemed in a rush to make the decision, and they just decided to risk it. If they had thought it out logically and weighed the pros and cons, we didn't get to see it really in the show. All we saw was Uchenna saying it was indeed a tight connection and a big risk. The fact that none of the other teams seemed willing to go there would have been worrisome.

Oh well, it's a shame that they couldn't stay but if they had then Danny and Oswald would have been gone, and I'd much rather they stayed in at this point. Good luck with U/J and I hope they manage to work through their marital problems and perhaps consider adoption if the fertility treatments are not successful.

CCL

I thought they were taking a risk in choosing their flight but I didn't realize it would be such a big problem getting another flight out to Malaysia. Surprsingly Eric (of all people) was the voice of reason, saying that a minimum of one hour was needed to make a connecting international flight and the connection Uchenna & Joyce were taking was much too tight. A lesson future racers would do well to heed.

I agree with others - I would much rather have Danny & Oswald still in the competition so in that sense I'm glad that Uchenna & Joyce were so far behind. I wouldn't haved wanted Danny & Oswald to lose out in a race to the mat. Uchenna & Joyce have already won once so they're fine in that sense. As for their future together outside the race...well, only time will tell. They do seem like a nice couple so I hope they can work things out (though it seems that Joyce is more invested in the relationship continuing than Uchenna. At least that's how it seemed to me).
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I like Uchenna and Joyce but it was a dumb move, and they really should have realized it. Post 9/11 it takes much longer to clear customs and immigration when travelling...they should know this. Also, depending on the airport, sometimes the taxi in times can be 20-30 minutes, so arrival times are not a good indicator of when the plane will get to the gate. Also, you never know how many other planes are landing at the same time, and what the lineups will be like. An hour between planes that are on international flights is just not enough.

FORT Fogey

Regarding their marriage, I've always gotten the impression that any issues they face were played up by producers much more than the actually existed in U&J's lives. Every team has to have a "story", and U&J have always been "the couple whose marriage was saved by the race". The truth, as I always saw it, was that they had a strong marriage which had endured years of heartache from infertility issues.

Well, every couple certainly has issues in their marriage, and speaking as someone who has dealt with infertility issues in the past, it's a real test to how strong your marriage is to get through it. I give them all the credit in the world that they still seem like positive and well-adjusted people who are willing to keep working on their marriage. I've always respected that they didn't yell and scream insults at each other during the race. Some might call them boring, but I liked their attitude.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast