+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2829303132333435363738

Thread: 9/17 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Quote Originally Posted by 101ethan View Post
    is this the 1st time they are in mainland china? good for them!!! i am so glad that they choose the great wall to be a pit stop. TAR should have a modern seven wonders of the world edition in next season!!!

did you notice that almost all teams learned to speak a bit mandarin? i don't see that happening in any other season when they were in countries like india or france or hong kong.
    Actually, this is the third time they've visited China (once during TAR1 and TAR6). In fact, the teams during TAR1 visited the Great Wall to look for a clue. It's always been one of my favorite destinations, though between all the times they've visited this time was my favorite.

FORT Newbie
    But moving on....Haven't watched TAR in quite a while, and I immediately was struck by how much they have sped up the editing of the already brief scenes updating where each team is at a particular moment....taxi, street, etc. I mean, it gives new meaning to the old expression, "If you blink you'll miss it." And, though I maintain some major irritation with various choices the producers make—some old, some new—I gotta applaud their throwing so many hard challenges into the first episode while at the same time wondering if they realized how hard that makes their own challenges, the producers I mean, of keeping up that level for the rest of the race.

It also surprised me that the teams had such relatively little trouble eating the fish eyes. I bet a LOT of the teams' being grossed out ended up on the proverbial editing room floor, which begs the question, "Why include it? The race is really about what the audience experiences vicariously more than what the racers do." Also surprising that one member of all teams had to do it, versus such a gross thing being one of two cryptic options teams could choose between as eating the raw, live baby octopus was on TAR4. As I recall, David & Jeff tried it, but then switched to the breaking the boards challenge while only Chip & Reichen completed it.
    Last edited by ShrinkingViolet; 09-19-2006 at 12:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dberk View Post
    I think handicapped people are first on and first off which would be a huge advantage.
    Believe me, from having a family member in a wheelchair, the standard is first on, last off. Have you ever parked at the gate and been told to stay in your seats while someone is wheeled down the aisle? No, they wait until every last person has left, then run a special wheelchair that can fit down the skinny aisle. You also don't get to choose a seat in the front unless you're on Southwest.

My guess is that Sarah is happy to load first but will be exiting like other people on two feet. But you don't automatically get to sit in front or anything unless that airline doesn't have preassigned seating.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by julitta View Post
    ... P.S. Just in case anyone is wondering, the bead came out of the little angel's nose just fine.
    Thank you for the update. I kept wondering how they were going to get it out. Thank goodness I was taping on the DVR because with 10 minutes to go til the Pit Stop Mat, I had a frantic call from my Mom that Dad was in the emergency room. What was it about TAR last evening that required family members to visit the ER? My Dad, as your niece, is home and just fine.

I got a kick out of trying to categorize the teams. The ChoBros perhaps thought they would be the BJ and Tyler of this season, but I'm glad TPTB showed the film of the security guard confiscating the water guns and giving them a lecture. The Alpha Males/models, though this time there is a more interesting back story; The Inspiration Team wanting to prove that nothing is impossible; The Father/Daughter trying to work out a problem; The Beauty Queens, who actually seem pretty sharp as well as being blond bombshells; The Cheerleaders - raw - raw; The single Mothers trying to prove a point; The Gay Guys appearing as though headlining a B*fest; The Dating Couple already squabbling and "baby, baby...you can make it"; The devoutly Religious who were gone before we knew them. I haven't found categories for Vipul and Arti - gone before we knew them, or David and Mary. They are the most interesting team because they are innocents abroad and will view it all with wonder. They, at the same time, are the most ordinary team (just us folks) and makes the ordinary viewer at home wonder, if Mary can do it, can I do it?

There are a few racers in what could be called the "overweight and/or out of shape" category. I don't think luck or conniving or map reading skills will make up for what is shaping up to be a very physically challenging race this season. I wonder why TPTB signed them instead of the more physically fit? Do they need more people to cut early in the show?

I really enjoyed this episode and it looks like the producers have listened to the viewers because, while the first task was icky, the final task was over-the-top challenging. The previews show that the challenges are even more daunting next week when it appears as though they travel to Mongolia.

Go Teams! All of you!
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    ...to answer your question, the race takes around 30-35 days to complete, so about as long as Survivor. This race was filmed at the end of May/beginning of June and ended right before the 4th of July. Of course the teams would still rather be in the race but they've all had good things to say about being sequestered. They try and make it as fun for them as possible.
    Thank you karalott! I had no idea in real time what it took. I would be exhausted. It's amazing how long everyone involved can keep a secret! I'm sure they sign their life away if they told though.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

FORT Regular
    darn it, forgot to log on during the show, so here i am 2 days late Promise to remember next time and join in. here's my extra long reply to things in this thread. Can't wait for the recap, (I'm dying to see what the recapper has to say about the squirt guns).

I'm happy I can finally say their names correctly. So far, I agree. Everyone seems cool and people I didn't think I'd like pre-show (Erwin/Godwin, Duke/Lauren, David/Mary) I love. Phil did say there was a very annoying team this season, so I'm curious to see who that turns out to be.
    Saa'ed & Bilal are gone, so who's the annoying team? (I found the triathletes a bit grating). I just love Phil, he called a team very annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by fluff View Post
    I smell "Flo".
    at least this one will have to do some roadblocks

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy van Pelt View Post
    Muslim men can't shake hands with women?!?!?! Gah!
    as a Muslim their reaction to this is the thing that pushed me over the edge about this team. (the other being their, "if we need to pull over to pray we will"--You get allowances for travel, ie you can make it up later. It just seemed so much for show, and that bothered me).
    Only guys I ever knew to not shake hands with women were the imams (and my brother, when he was a bit "brain damaged"). (It's a sign of respect in their eyes that you don't touch women who aren't closely related to you)
    My brother, who went through this phase for a while in college, said "Are these guys for real?" He at least used to put his hand on his heart and bow to them, not pull his hand away like you do for the "psych-high-five." And he'd also apologize then explain it was a sign of respect.

Peter/Sarah are kicking butt. One twist I'd like to see in the future is not have the teams know what time they're departing. It might defeat the purpose but it'd give those in back an advantage.
    I'd like that, mix it up a little. You don't know until you open the seal what your departure time is. Could you just imagine the lamenting?

I agree. I don't think TAR is a show that needs twists to keep it fresh (every season does that) but it's nice to see things shook up once in awhile. I liked that they're going West instead of East this time, and something else on my wish list is to have them start and end overseas instead of in the US.
    This made me so happy. It was about time to skip going to South America/East.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyH0ur View Post
    Team T&A #1 finishes 4th and Team T&A2 got beat by team gay guys in their task
    Am a bit surprised at myself, but I like T&A1, and I can't figure out why. Also like the models, but only if they remain low key and in their own world. Usually don't pick "my team" until the fourth or so episode.

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    The moral of tonight's episode is don't make rude comments about another team and Karma will not bite you in the butt.
    but Team Karma will loose:

Quote Originally Posted by gagi View Post
    With those hats, I expected to see a yak. And I did. What a cool show!
    I wonder if they went to Mongolia (not that yaks aren't allowed elsewhere, just Mongolia would be so cool)? that'd be a TAR 1st right?

And something about the Cho brothers bug me. I'm not sure what, because when I look at them I feel like I should be rooting for them. Maybe my pre-show impression is just lingering.
    I feel the same way about the Win boys and I'm thinking it's because they seem a smug, but they have no reason to be. And I dislike Edwin's hair. (please no hitting, but it's the typical, Berkley, hippie hair, and for some reason that hair style reminds me of my genetics professor, who wasn't so nice.)

Quote Originally Posted by fooljoke View Post
    Woooohooooooo, my first post! Long time reader first time poster here. I just have to add my two cents. The "Meridian Gate" or "Wumen" is where people are beheaded back in the Qing Dynasty. It is somewhat fitting that a team is eliminated there. Not sure why they didn't explain that...
    Thanks for that I wish they'd explain more of the historical stuff.

There's a place fans have dubbed sequesterville that the eliminated teams go to and hang out before going to tape the finale. In the past, it's been in places like Lisbon, Paris, and Cancun. The do take the teams out sight seeing there. In terms of V&A and B&S they might hang around China until the next team is eliminated and then they'd take them all to wherever sequester is this season. And the last team eliminated before the final three sticks around in whatever country they're in since there's only a few days left of taping.
    I feel so embarrassed. I have watched every TAR, except the FE--luckily I was doing an exchange and didn't have a TV, darn--but I thought that as they were eliminating Vipal & Arti. I snapped that they couldn't just go home, but tagging along on the rest of the race would be

Quote Originally Posted by 101ethan View Post
    is this the 1st time they are in mainland china? good for them!!! i am so glad that they choose the great wall to be a pit stop. TAR should have a modern seven wonders of the world edition in next season!!!

did you notice that almost all teams learned to speak a bit mandarin? i don't see that happening in any other season when they were in countries like india or france or hong kong.
    They went to China in the one w/ Rob/Brenan, Guidos etc? the Great wall even. They also went when whiny crybaby boy w/ ridiculous bangs and Jon/Victoria, Freddy/Kendra, etc--they went to see the clay army in this one.

Quote Originally Posted by dberk View Post
    Regarding the early dismissal of Bilal and Sa'eed... They had plenty of air time and they didn't grab my interest in the slightest. In a race where minutes and perhaps seconds count, their prayer time outs would have been a big problem. I was surprised at the teary eyes of the other racers, since I doubt that they had gotten much chance to get to know these guys yet.
    I assumed it was shock/tiredness. I mean if we just started an amazing adventure, and I was totally worn out, a shock like that elimination, could bring me near tears, but I'm an emotional wimpl.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    Did I miss the Phil "eyebrow pop" at the beginning? I was watching with great anticipation for him to raise the eyebrow right before he yells "GO!" and....nothing.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I think Peter and Sarah may start to bug me really quick. It's not that I dislike them, and I hugely respected her climb up that wall, but something in their dynamic just bugs. I'll have to give it time and see how they do next week.
    I'm the same something about them is a bit off.

Karyn & Lyn seem very sour grapes. Isn't it a little early for that, and haven't they learned to mind your own team? I fear the Mirna/Charla arguement again.

I was quite impressed by all the teams that they made it up the wall. I've been rock climbing before, and it's quite hard, even if they did give them loops a million dollars must be good enough inspiration to not give up.

Did they say how high it was they had to climb? I might have zoned out that one.
    Last edited by niloo; 09-19-2006 at 06:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    I really enjoyed this episode and it looks like the producers have listened to the viewers because, while the first task was icky, the final task was over-the-top challenging.
    Yes, I kept thinking during the episode "Thanks TAR, for listening to my internal ranting last season" So far this season has addressed all my complaints. Better locations, more challenging tasks, and fewer blondes. It usually takes me 3-4 episodes to actually remember teams but thanks to the cast diversity (yea!) I can actually tell people apart.

FORT Newbie
    I don't see playing the disabled card equivalent to using your foreign language ability, etc. Someone who has learned another language [or at least some words/phrases] has taken advantage, in its positive sense, of an opportunity that essentially is available to everyone [though I grant that some would have more access than others due to their financial situation or intellectual capacity]. In what way are people to "compete" with Sarah in her ability to take advantage of her situation--have one of their legs amputated? One of the reasons I initially liked TAR above all other reality competitions was the seemingly built-in imprimatur to "play fair." Take the same chances as everyone else--which is one of the ways that TAR parallels Life itself so wondrously--but win by doing YOUR best--not by preventing others from doing their best. Which is why I hated the Guidos from TAR1 when they tried to, as I recall, physically prevent another team from getting somewhere. And have hated every team in any season that have said, "Don't give/tell/show/whatever them what you just gave/etc., me." Sarah took something--preboarding [whether or not it actually ended up giving them an advantage] that was not available to the others and that had major lack-of-character stink. If I want to let people like that slither into my living room, I'll watch "Survivor" or "BB," etc. I'm hoping to see more of her better side, as evidenced by her making it up the Wall, in future episodes.

And, that includes NOT seeing the producers present any task that it's reasonable to believe they would anticipate in advance that she couldn't possibly do, no matter how hard she tried. Season after season has proven you don't need, e.g., that second language ability to win, but I was very pleased to see that they hadn't cast anyone who, by nature of their weight/physical weakness [regardless of age] you knew instantly wouldn't last. And, as long as I'm ranting, have any of you read the sexist remarks by Chip, of Chip & Kim, at the TAR10 racers' blog? He imagines that women teams or male/female teams are, de facto, at a disadvantage to male teams. Then how did he and his WIFE win?

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael47 View Post
    And, as long as I'm ranting, have any of you read the sexist remarks by Chip, of Chip & Kim, at the TAR10 racers' blog? He imagines that women teams or male/female teams are, de facto, at a disadvantage to male teams. Then how did he and his WIFE win?
    I didn't read Chip's blog, but IIRC, Chip did all of the roadblocks in their season. I don't know if Kim even did any- which gave them an advantage. It was after their season, or the next, that the roadblock limit was put into place. (each team member had to do equal roadblocks) I haven't heard it explained in the last few seasons, but the teams have been sharing the responsibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    There are a few racers in what could be called the "overweight and/or out of shape" category. I don't think luck or conniving or map reading skills will make up for what is shaping up to be a very physically challenging race this season. I wonder why TPTB signed them instead of the more physically fit? Do they need more people to cut early in the show?
    Could be seen two ways. The cynical view is that they were cast to be cast out, before teams that make good TV by being more driven/athletic and are therefore prefered by the producers to stay longer.
    The other view would be that they were cast so they'd provide good TV by trying to overcome their shortcomings... and ultimately failing at it. Or if you're more optimistic, doing relatively well despite their shortcomings.

I think it's both.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

+ Reply to Thread