+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: TAR 10 - Peter & Sarah

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by kitty View Post
    Mish22, I agree with you. Maybe we should never be on TAR. It irkes me to see them wanting to be treated the same as everyone else and then asking for special treatment. I could never imagine what it is like to lose a leg. I do not run triathalons now with two legs, so kutos to Sarah. There is just something that rubs me the wrong way that they expect to have it both ways. JMHO.
    Thanks for understanding what I'm trying to say. I

'm sorry if I offended anyone because I really wanted to like this team....I mean you see her and you're like "wow....this chick totally rocks" but you see her using it and it's like no...thats just not right...it kinda transcends the game.

Disabled people (or whatever is the current politically correct term) will never be mainstream until they're allowed to merely be themselves, and not some "representative" for all other disabled people. Just as for women, various race/ethnicities, etc. If your opinion of a whole group of people is entirely shaped or even influenced by the actions of ONE of the whole group, then the problem is with you, not the group of people.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Excellent point, Lucy!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I don't like this couple mostly because I think he treats her like crap and having three couples on this show treating each other like crap is waaaaay too much.

As far as Sarah's advantage - it's preboard. This means she gets on the plane first and if they're far in the back, they may get off first. They still have to go through customs and immigration like everyone else. If anything, I imagine they have a disadvantage with her prosthetic going through security checkpoints - I will guarantee you there will be stops where she's asked to remove her leg for inspection.

I know that it's been explained in various articles before that being on TAR doesn't get you through customs/security/immigration any faster. They make sure that you have any necessary VISAs ahead of time, but that's it (and from what I recall, you will have VISAs for countries you won't even visit just so you're not aware of the race route in advance).

And, bottom line, it's for a million dollars - you use every advantage you have. How many teams have claimed to have medical emergencies in the past to get on a plane? Heck, Bolo pretended to have a disability to get through a customs line faster in TAR 6. Does anyone think the Beauty Queens aren't using their assets to their advantage?
    It's all been a Spool of Lies!!!

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Well, these two (namely Peter) were okay this episode, but it looks like they'll go right back down on my list next week (thanks to Peter). For a guy who comes across so encouraging that it gets aggravatingly annoying, you think he would have helped Sarah across the rice paddy tonight, unless she told him she could do it herself and to buzz off. I've come to think that Sarah, one good leg and all, can easily hold her on, and seems both mentally and physically fit to run this race by herself and still kick everyone's butt. Granted, she still irks me a little for different reasons, but I think it has more to do with Peter than with her.

And I still think these two are extremely lucky.

CEO
    Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    For a guy who comes across so encouraging that it gets aggravatingly annoying, you think he would have helped Sarah across the rice paddy tonight, unless she told him she could do it herself and to buzz off.
    That's the part I don't get. In the conventional wisdom, he is a jerk because he is too enthusiastic and tries 'too hard' to encourage, motivate, and help her; but on the other hand, the same conventional wisdom gets upset that he won't help her more. This goes for her too, on the one hand, the conventional wisdom is 'Hey, she's using her leg as an advantage, get the torches!" but on the other hand, the conventional wisdom is 'Won't someone please help that poor girl!". I just don't get it.

Not singling you out, or anyone for that matter, don't mean to sound like I am. This post you made is just a good example of this weird standard that we use to judge this team. I like to think that they are in a very, very special circumstance and, while he might not be above criticism for the times that he is perceived as an a$$, there aren't many triathlete prosthetic maker new boyfriends whose new girlfrifend only has one leg but also runs triathlons (**whew, that is a mouthful) to compare them against. This isn't your typical boy meets girl, boy and girl race around the world kinda' story; and I think they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

...with all that said, I like watching Peter and Sarah and was very happy to see them claw their way back from the bus mishap. Thank you for being team number five!
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by CEO View Post
    That's the part I don't get. In the conventional wisdom, he is a jerk because he is too enthusiastic and tries 'too hard' to encourage, motivate, and help her; but on the other hand, the same conventional wisdom gets upset that he won't help her more. This goes for her too, on the one hand, the conventional wisdom is 'Hey, she's using her leg as an advantage, get the torches!" but on the other hand, the conventional wisdom is 'Won't someone please help that poor girl!". I just don't get it.

Not singling you out, or anyone for that matter, don't mean to sound like I am. This post you made is just a good example of this weird standard that we use to judge this team. I like to think that they are in a very, very special circumstance and, while he might not be above criticism for the times that he is perceived as an a$$, there aren't many triathlete prosthetic maker new boyfriends whose new girlfrifend only has one leg but also runs triathlons (**whew, that is a mouthful) to compare them against. This isn't your typical boy meets girl, boy and girl race around the world kinda' story; and I think they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

...with all that said, I like watching Peter and Sarah and was very happy to see them claw their way back from the bus mishap. Thank you for being team number five!
    I like Sarah for her competitive nature just wish she wouldn't whine so mo much. Peter on the other hand comes across as a jerk for the way he treats her sometimes and the previews for next week don't do anything to change my opinion of him.
    Last edited by Cornedbeef; 10-02-2006 at 10:37 AM.

CCL
    I don't see this relationship lasting very long beyond the finish of the race. Sarah already seems to be getting irritated with the way Peter acts so...
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by CEO View Post
    I agree with you on this point and I do think its a good possibility that Peter and Sarah have gone down this road before and she has asked him not to help her because she really does want to be able to do things on her own. Similar to the menatality of womens "libbers" (hate to call us that) that say they can do anything a man can do but then get pissed when he doesnt hold a door open for them. Maybe it all just comes down to a matter of good judgement and knowing when to step in.

You Dare Question Me? OrangeDingo's Avatar
    I think people on the same team are bound to bicker and fuss (which has happened to an extent that I really don't think it appropriate), but I despise it when people don't treat the other teams with respect. At the prison, the clue-holder-guy handed a clue to either Rob or Kimberly and Peter reached over and tore it from their hand! It wasn't even a little tug! I was afraid somebodies arm was going to be yanked out! And then all the regular jerkiness ensued with this guy. Another thing that I despise about Peter is that he is so passive-agressive. If you're going to be pissed, say it in a way that isn't so cowardly. I didn't like Jonothan at all, but at least he had the balls to tell Victoria when he was pissed, and likewise for her.

He is infecting my TV screen, and I want him off.

+ Reply to Thread