+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 103

Thread: Ratings Down

  1. #21
    His Peace after the Storm cafegirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    in the Garden!
    Posts
    4,982
    Quote Originally Posted by chipnreichenfan View Post
    I agree.

    Why can't they cast an "in shape" old couple thats in their late 40's early 50's.
    They need more teams that are physically and emotionally fit to last the entire race.

    Please no more Team Frosties...
    Wow, that hurts, old couples are those in their 'late 40's '! I guess I'm not willing to admit I'm 'old' yet and I fit in that general category! :
    "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me!"

  2. #22
    FORT Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Cambridge, MA
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    To fix things, they need to:
    6) Stop using so many damn equalizers
    This is, I think, one of the few things that the Family Edition did right. I like the idea of a "spaced" equalizer. Leads can be collapsed, but not completely eliminated. The team that arrives at an equalizer first should have an X minute advantage over the next team, and so on. Perhaps X changes along with the number of teams left, or according to their arrival order--the first team (30 min., say) gets a bigger advantage than the next-to-last team (5 min.).

    On the other hand, it's unlikely that they can completely eliminate equalizers, especially when they do things like Brazil-to-Russia connections. There's only so many flight combinations that work.

    As a poster mentioned above, the goal was to avoid the bifurcated race that plagued the last four or so legs of TAR 1. While it was cool that it happened, it also removed much of the drama, because realistically, the audience knew that it was a two-team race at the end, and the other two teams were racing for third place. [Similarly, without the equalizers, TAR 5 could have effectively ended in Egypt--less than halfway through--after Colin and Christie jumped twelve hours ahead of the other teams.]

  3. #23
    Peace MsFroggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Up here in my tree...
    Posts
    15,532
    Quote Originally Posted by cafegirl View Post
    Wow, that hurts, old couples are those in their 'late 40's '! I guess I'm not willing to admit I'm 'old' yet and I fit in that general category! :
    You're not old Cafegirl! I mean just because you're this ancient 40 something people shouldn't call you old. J/K .

    The Family edition was a huge mistake and it made a joke out of TAR. They should have used a different host, a different name and called it a spin-off because that season was so awful that it didn't deserve to be called TAR.

    Also, I see some of the Family Edition's woodenness and lack of spontaneity revisited in this season. For example, so far there have been few instructions that said: "Get from A to B by train or bus or whatever." All their trips have been preplanned, with set departure times that they had to earn. They had to take a certain airline. Everything is too structured, no room for creativity.

    It's almost like they are being herded to the finish line and there's no chance for anyone to just sprint ahead if they are good. This has been my biggest complaint about TAR, the fact that it's not a real race because people are not allowed to hold a lead (due to equalizers). Maybe once they'll actually do what they used to: drop them in the middle of nowhere, give them a credit card and a few clues and see who makes it back to the US first through all the obstacles.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

  4. #24
    LG.
    LG. is offline
    FORT Writer LG.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    frozen tundra
    Posts
    14,060
    Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy View Post
    Maybe once they'll actually do what they used to: drop them in the middle of nowhere, give them a credit card and a few clues and see who makes it back to the US first through all the obstacles.
    that wasn't TAR, that was the short-lived NBC series Lost that dropped contestants in the middle of nowhere and told them to get back to the US. It wasn't nearly the successful show as TAR. Watching people beg for money in foreign countries was just not that great of tv for an American audience. I think TAR is good with its suspense and keeping teams close is a necessity for that. Sometimes a team or two falls way behind (the Guidos finding out about the winners while still in Alaska in Season 1), but as long as a couple are competing, that makes it much more interesting.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

  5. #25
    Peace MsFroggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Up here in my tree...
    Posts
    15,532
    Quote Originally Posted by LG. View Post
    that wasn't TAR, that was the short-lived NBC series Lost that dropped contestants in the middle of nowhere and told them to get back to the US. It wasn't nearly the successful show as TAR. Watching people beg for money in foreign countries was just not that great of tv for an American audience. I think TAR is good with its suspense and keeping teams close is a necessity for that. Sometimes a team or two falls way behind (the Guidos finding out about the winners while still in Alaska in Season 1), but as long as a couple are competing, that makes it much more interesting.
    I totally forgot about that show... or maybe not, LOL.
    The first season of TAR is a blur for me, but I seem to remember it was way more spontaneous, and lots of things were left up to the contestants inventiveness and to chance, whereas now a lot of stuff is just too regimented.
    I think if a team is able to get into a leading position, they should be allowed a chance to maintain that lead and not set them back to square one on every episode. There's too much interference from producers to make it "exciting" but to me it's exciting to see a team take the lead and win clearly and cleanly, and not have some made-for-TV artificial ending, like the Uchenna/Joyce "win".
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

  6. #26
    JR.
    JR. is offline
    Drummer / Model JR.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    42 22' N 71 2' W
    Age
    43
    Posts
    6,937
    Quote Originally Posted by lone1c View Post

    On the other hand, it's unlikely that they can completely eliminate equalizers, especially when they do things like Brazil-to-Russia connections. There's only so many flight combinations that work.

    As a poster mentioned above, the goal was to avoid the bifurcated race that plagued the last four or so legs of TAR 1. While it was cool that it happened, it also removed much of the drama, because realistically, the audience knew that it was a two-team race at the end, and the other two teams were racing for third place. [Similarly, without the equalizers, TAR 5 could have effectively ended in Egypt--less than halfway through--after Colin and Christie jumped twelve hours ahead of the other teams.]
    Right, they can't get rid of them completely, but to have 3-4 per episode is way too much. And, to have one in the first 10 minutes of the show is ridiculous.

  7. #27
    The race is back! John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    On the mat
    Age
    44
    Posts
    40,432
    Dave and Margaretta were a great team on the race. But neither did I ever expect to see them near the final 3, much less winning the million. So, I enjoyed their time on the race, but knew absolutely that they had no chance to win.

  8. #28
    Chip and Reichen#1 chipnreichenfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Reality TV
    Age
    46
    Posts
    524
    Quote Originally Posted by JR. View Post
    Right, they can't get rid of them completely, but to have 3-4 per episode is way too much. And, to have one in the first 10 minutes of the show is ridiculous.
    I think they should have one at the beggining of each leg (just in case teams are way behind) then have none for the rest of the leg. The only time it makes sense is if they are travelling far distances during the leg that another equalilizer should be brought into the leg.
    The greatest gift is to love and to be loved in return..The Moulin Rouge

  9. #29
    FORT Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Cambridge, MA
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by chipnreichenfan View Post
    I think they should have one at the beggining of each leg (just in case teams are way behind) then have none for the rest of the leg. The only time it makes sense is if they are travelling far distances during the leg that another equalilizer should be brought into the leg.
    I think the nature of the game creates a two-equalizer leg, unless it's one of these "second leg in the same country" legs. The first leg into a country usually involves a flight, which creates an equalizer situation. Secondly, depending upon when those flights arrive, operating schedues force an "overnight" equalizer.

    I think there's just too many factors which have to be put together to prevent the need for equalizers. Trying to get teams to arrive at the Pit Stop in mid-afternoon so that they can leave in the early morning hours is perhaps one cause, particularly if they have crazy flight connections to make (India to Malaysia, anyone?). On the other hand, how would you like to be the person that coordinates the operating hours at some fifty different route markers all around the world?

  10. #30
    FORT Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    123
    The time change affects families like mine where our 5 year old used stay up late and watch. Now we record it, and watch it later. The Unit was placed where it is to tie in with NCIS, not TAR, and TAR got moved back to hopefully not lose too much to AI.

    The Family Edition took a bit of luster off the show, and in turn, took away some of the excitement and enthusiasm. Much as people hated Romber, they actually did a lot for the show.

    Part of it is that many people can't keep up at the begining with all the teams (my wife is like that) and the FE made that only worse. I still couldn't name all the participants in the final 3 (12).

    My enthusiasm has dwindled due in large part with the caricatures for teams. The New York Post had a review that remarked upon this. There's the old couple, the minority couple the domineering husband w/ southern wife, the sex kittens (are those double Ds?), the Alpha males, etc.

    Some teams you know will not make it to the final 4 teams. It's TAR # whatever, why do teams still give up when they encounter a slight hiccup (Fran and Ollie?).

    Casting has done well in the past. But I think they have gotten tired and formulaic. Where are the couples, married or otherwise, that actually get along and don't have issues to deal with? Please don't tell me that makes for good tv. But we've been through all this before, in these threads.

    /end soap box

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.