+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dennis and Andrew

Dennis and Andrew

From the official site forTAR 3

Lexington, Kentucky residents Dennis and Andrew are different as night and day. Andrew, 21, is a liberal, openly gay, college cheerleader. His father Dennis, 48, is a conservative Southern Baptist who manages a family entertainment center.

Dennis says he decided to apply for THE AMAZING RACE so he could spend some quality time with his son. "I would love to travel with Andrew outside the country before he moves on and starts his own life," said Dennis.

Andrew says his primary motivation was to see the world. "The thrill of traveling to places unknown to me seems very intriguing," said Andrew. "My second motivation would be to give Kentuckians someone to root for!"

Both Dennis and Andrew are concerned about keeping clean on the road. Andrew says the most important item in his backpack is his razor, since he hates looking scruffy. Dennis is making sure to pack plenty of soap. "Other than food, sanitation is the key to health. If you are not feeling well, nothing else matters," he says.

The father-and-son Team feel their diversity will prove to be an asset in the Race. While Dennis has experience and wisdom on his side, Andrew's strength, agility and charisma may help lead the Team toward the finish line.

Andrew attends Eastern Kentucky University. His birth date is June 15. Dennis' birth date is January 14.

QUESTIONS and ANSWERS:

How would you describe your previous travel experience?
    Dennis: Above average. I have traveled outside the U.S. on six different occasions.
    Andrew: My travel experience has been limited to the U.S. I've been to many parts of the country, primarily for cheerleading competitions and family vacations, but haven't gotten to venture outside of our borders…yet.

What is the most stressful aspect of traveling?
    Dennis: Preparation. Trying to guess what could be necessary in every situation is a disturbing situation.
    Andrew: I've always worried about forgetting something really important like money, food or deodorant: yah know, the necessities.

What is the most important item in your backpack, and why?
    Dennis: Soap. It is important to stay healthy on a venture like this. Other than food, sanitation is the key to health. If you are not feeling well, nothing else matters.
    Andrew: A simple razor is important to me because I hate looking scruffy. However, I wouldn't get too far without a passport. I'm a clean-cut guy, so I have to have my "beauty supplies."

Why did you want to be on THE AMAZING RACE?
    Dennis: I love to travel, and to go to these exotic places and do these activities to share with the world is unimaginable.
    Andrew: The thrill of traveling to places unknown to me seems very intriguing, but also the chance to be an advocate for the gay community is something I've felt a calling to do, and to be in the public eye. I can hopefully be a good role model.

Have you and your partner traveled together before? If so, what was it like?
    Dennis: Only domestic family vacations. It was enjoyable, but in no way comparable with this adventure.
    Andrew: My dad and I have traveled together within the states, but I'm an international virgin, so I'm prepared to travel with an open mind.

What do you fear most about competing in THE AMAZING RACE?
    Dennis: My biggest fear is holding up to the physical demands. Most of the competitors are much younger and fitter.
    Andrew: My biggest fear, period, is sharks, so of course I'm nervous I'll be asked to swim with them or something of that nature. "Jaws" is one of my favorite movies, so yah see, Hollywood does warp your mind.

What strengths and weaknesses do you bring to the Team?
    Dennis: Our strength is diversity. We are the only Team with a large age division. I bring experience and wisdom, but my age and physical condition could be a weakness.
    Andrew: My greatest strength is my personality. I'm very nice and tend to get along with everyone in all walks of life, although I am very naive when it comes to international traveling. Plus I'm the youngest on the Race: I just recently turned 21.

What strengths and weaknesses does your teammate bring to the Team?
    Dennis: Andrew's strength is agility and charisma. There should be no physical challenge he can't complete, and he loves to interact with people. He never meets a stranger.
    Andrew: Dad is very headstrong when it comes to traveling; he's "been there, done that." He does have problems with heights, so I hope that's not a factor that slows us down.

What will you miss the most from home (besides your bed)?
    Dennis: I'll miss my wife and daughter most, of course, but beyond this, I truly miss cola drinks when I travel.
    Andrew: What I'll miss the most is my friends and family. I have an awesome group of friends in Kentucky, and my mom, sister and brother are very cool. Plus, of course, I'll miss the guy I'm dating.

What languages do you speak?
    Dennis: None fluently.
    Andrew: Very little Spanish. If that helps me in the Race I'll definitely have to call my high school Spanish teacher and thank her.

What destination are you hoping to visit?
    Dennis: Jerusalem; it is such a center for history. I have always dreamed of seeing sights such as the Temple Mount, Wailing Wall, Garden Tomb, etc.
    Andrew: I've always wanted to go to Africa. I love the cultures there and the landscapes. I guess that's why my bedroom is very tribal, with leopard print and African masks.

What country do you feel best prepared for?
    Dennis: Germany, because I have done some travel there.
    Andrew: Australia seems to be a lot like the U.S. as far as language and style, so I'd probably be best prepared for a country like ours since I haven't traveled internationally yet.
    Last edited by cali; 09-14-2002 at 02:15 PM.

Well, these two would appear to be like chalk and cheese.

Not much international travel for Dennis, but the fact that he wanted to go on the show to spend time with his son is touching.
    Hopefully they'll have a while to bond.
    "That's Numberwang!"

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    I hope they are able to make it far into the game so we can see a lot of their relationship.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

LG.
    By my count we have 3 openly gay contestants this year and they are all partnered with straight people. A father-son, a brothers team, and the gay/straight male/female friends team. No gay couples as there were in the prior 2 seasons of this show, Team Guido and Team Prada.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

I liked these two. The son was pretty funny, and I have a feeling he and his dad will grow closer throughout this trip.
    I also reserve the right to change my mind next week
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

I loved the standing back tuck he did.
    I don't know why but it just made me smile.

I like Andrew a lot, he seems very enthusiastic and willing to laugh at himself.
    His dad is a lot more reserved so far but he might come out of his shell more the longer they stay in the race.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I think they're an interesting mix to the 12 teams. Even though they're so different, I don't see them fighting about anything in the future. I could always be wrong, though!

I smiled too fluff
    His dad does seemed reserved, but not to the point where he looked as though he was embarassed by his son.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

We didn't get to see much of them, but they were in the mix near the front the whole time. So, I think they'll do well...And we should get to see some great footage of when the stress really starts building up

labtech
    After watching how "spunky" the son is on this team I realized that he reminds me of the character , "Jack" on Will and Grace!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast