+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Lake & Michelle - Season 9

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by lildago View Post
    He sounds like a load of fun...very impatient and hard to please. She has to do TAR to prove to him that she can accomplish something.

For me he was "jonathan baker lite" so far, and his voice annoyed the heck out of me for some reason. She seems like she'll stand up for herself more than victoria though if it comes to that.

This team is giving Colin & Christie and Jonathon & Victoria a run for their money.

You Dare Question Me? OrangeDingo's Avatar
    I actually adore this team right now - I find Lake very endearing. If anything I like Michelle less then Lake.

I think a lot of people were predisposed to dislike this team (like a lot were with the Gaghan Family of last season) with no real reason.

When he said "Shut the (whoops!) up!" I can understand that totally. Did not another pair tell each other to shut up? They made a mistake and were frustrated. I'm not some boiling pot of rage, but I've told several people to shut up when I've been frustrated with them. Also, did we not even see the Bransens of last season get frustrated with each other and say some not-so-nice things?
    I also do NOT thing that Lake is a racist, something that I've heard floating around in some places. I think he just referred to Yolanda as 'the black girl' because they were not yet acquainted. Just like if somebody called Danielle or Dani 'the blonde girl'. And besides, didn't I see him shaking Ray's hand two seconds later? And the whole Fran and Berry incident. If any of us were on the race would we even give a second thought to stop and help? I doubt it. Was he supposed to do it for them? At least he gave them a few (rather..vague) pointers before getting their race on.

Aaaaaaaaaanyways, I just thought they deserved a little bit of defending through all of the negativity.

I hope they both go far, bickering and all.

FORT Regular
    While there is some bickering and yelling going on with this team, Lake doesn't bother as much as I think he is being edited to be disliked. He took responsibility for screwing up the airplane tickets and he actually somewhat helped fran and berry by showing them where things go, despite the fact he knew they were near the end of the pack at the time. I don't blame him for not hanging around to put it together for them because he had to get to the next clue.

i think this process will help him learn a lot about how much his wife can do, and he will end up appreciating and respecting her more than he did before.

One of three things is going on here:

A) The editors are really playing up the "Lake is chauvanist, expects Michelle to always do what he says, and she obliges" angle in order to build a story arc where he comes to realize he's not always right and she's actually a very capable woman, even though it's not THAT bad in real life

B) They're playing up the traditional man/woman roles themselves to make some sort of statement or get attention, and CBS obliges because we need some villain team this season

C) Lake really is that controlling and obnoxious.

Not for me to say which one is going on, but I will say that all that talk about the man being right was so Stepford I sure hope it was contrived!

Also, what was with Lake's obsession with Ray & Yolanda??? "We're ahead of the blacks, right? Oh shoot, the black people are catching up!" I thought those little comments were pretty disturbing...
    Last edited by Aota Bass; 03-01-2006 at 10:35 AM.
    And I sing sometimes like my life is at stake because you're only as loud as the noises you make.

You Dare Question Me? OrangeDingo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aota Bass View Post
    Also, what was with Lake's obsession with Ray & Yolanda??? "We're ahead of the blacks, right? Oh shoot, the black people are catching up!" I thought those little comments were pretty disturbing...
    I think people are reading into those comments a little too much. It is just an identifying factor of somebody that he doesn't know yet. Like people calling BJ and Tyler "The Hippies" instead of by their real names - it's just that they haven't really had time to get to know each other yet.

brown and red and nasty.
    Bikini coffee shop or in the ER dying of toxic shock syndrome
    i look forward to seeing Lake go absolutely m***********g dental on some uppity local at some point in the season, y0. preferably the machete wielding variety.

[QUOTE=Tinyrock11;1804986]He took responsibility for screwing up the airplane tickets QUOTE]

Well, partly.
    What?! Am I still here?

Let's get over the "they edited this way" argument right now. You can edit things out, but you can't edit things in. Puddle feeds the editors material, they use it.
    What?! Am I still here?

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeDingo View Post
    I think people are reading into those comments a little too much. It is just an identifying factor of somebody that he doesn't know yet. Like people calling BJ and Tyler "The Hippies" instead of by their real names - it's just that they haven't really had time to get to know each other yet.
    The issue is that the show SUGGESTS that they were ONLY asking about "the blacks". True, editing is powerful and could have cut out all of their other inquiries about other teams, but as presented it was made to seem like it was of key importance to Mr. Lake to know at all times whether or not Ray was lurking around a corner or something, whereas he never showed equal concern about any other team. The issue is that the show is implying he's focusing on Ray & Yolanda, not on how he's addressing or describing them (which is, admittedly, just descriptive and no big deal if that's all there is to it).

If this isn't how Lake meant things, the editors did him a HUGE disservice. If it is how he meant it? Then YIKES!

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

+ Reply to Thread