+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Free gas for life' isn't unlimited prize

It's a bird, it's a plane EXlurker's Avatar

'Free gas for life' isn't unlimited prize

Interesting information on the prize that I thought was most amazing.

Q: On "The Amazing Race" [recently], the team that came in first place won gas for life. What are the guidelines or restrictions they must follow? —Rachel

A: When "Amazing Race" teams arrive in first place at a pit stop, host Phil Keoghan sometimes has great news for them. In addition to being the first team to depart on the next leg, they also receive prizes.

Often, the prizes Phil gives are trips, so that the team can travel after the race and be able to actually spend time and appreciate the places they visit. This season, the Bransen family -- a dad and his three daughters — arrived in first place at a pit stop and received what sounded like the coolest prize ever. Each family member received free gas for life from BP, which is one of the sponsors this season.

Of course, BP made sure that the Bransens don't supply all of their friends and families with as much gas as they want forever. Each Bransen will receive a gas card that is worth $1,200 per year, good for 50 years, TV Guide reported recently. Thus, as gas prices rise, they'll be able to purchase less and less gas. Who knows: In 50 years, $1,200 might buy a half-gallon of premium.

But the Bransens are probably not complaining. The prize has a value of $60,000 for each person, and is worth $240,000 in total. —A.D.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9916588/

That's still a pretty amazing prize! My eyes bugged out when I heard Phil tell them about this prize. But this makes sense.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

its better than

paying for it EVERY time you have to fill up

By following that link, I followed another link within the Q&A to read the scoop (from months ago) about the real reason the plane door opened for U&J in TAR 7. I had not heard that; it's funny to think that Rob's dishonesty, indirectly, led to that. I am

I don't understand, does this amount seem unreasonable? $1200 a year for gas would be more than I spend, and they each get a card individually (so double cars wouldn't be an issue). I applaud TAR for getting such an unusual prize in the first place. I live in CA where we pay higher prices for gas than most of the country, and it would be more than enough for my car.

I guess if you have a long commute it might not be enough.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    I don't understand, does this amount seem unreasonable? $1200 a year for gas would be more than I spend, and they each get a card individually (so double cars wouldn't be an issue). I applaud TAR for getting such an unusual prize in the first place. I live in CA where we pay higher prices for gas than most of the country, and it would be more than enough for my car.

I guess if you have a long commute it might not be enough.
    My husband does commute and he is in construction so he has to drive around to different job sites every day. He uses about $500-$600 a month in gas. So $1200 a year would only get him through 2 - 2 1/2 months here.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit88
    By following that link, I followed another link within the Q&A to read the scoop (from months ago) about the real reason the plane door opened for U&J in TAR 7. I had not heard that; it's funny to think that Rob's dishonesty, indirectly, led to that. I am

I tried to find the link because I want to know the real reason the plane door opened. Can you PM me or something with it?
    Thanks
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I think it's a pretty cool prize even if it doesn't cover their entire expenses on gas! Every little bit helps! Everyone is usually waiting for Phil to announce a trip so this was unexpected! It's nice to see something so different as a prize.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

It is still a great prize. But the way it was given it is very misleading. Phil should have said "You win 60,000 in free gas, spread out over a 50 year period." Not "Free gas for life." Because it is NOT free gas for life.

Quote Originally Posted by CantGetNuf
    Because it is NOT free gas for life.
    It probably is for Wally.

Sorry, sorry, sorry, I'm so very sorry.....I'm not mean, I swear.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast