+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Amazing Race 11/1 Recap - Being Above Everyone Does Not Always Equal First Place

The Amazing Race 11/1 Recap - Being Above Everyone Does Not Always Equal First Place

Last week on The Amazing Race: all of the families got their panties in a bunch over the antics of the Weaver family, DJ Paolo overcame his fear of heights and helped push his family to a first place finish. Billy still remained the “other” child and the Godlewski sister’s made the Bransen girls jealous by teaming up with the Linz boys in exchange for help.

Where Are We Going?
    Hunkered down at the Miraflores Locks along the Panama Canal, the teams must travel 600 miles to San Jose, Costa Rica via one of three buses. The buses will depart at 11:30am, 12:00pm and 12:30pm. Once in San Jose, they must drive themselves 35 miles to the top of Volcan Poas- a bubbling volcanic cauldron that is home to eye of newt and blood of goose- to which they will find their next clue. The teams have $74 for this leg of the race.

Both the beginning bus terminal and the entrance to Volcan Poas are equalizers in this race, I.e.- all the teams will be present before going on to the next phase thus negating any lead advantage.

Once a top the volcano, teams must now travel 17 miles to Doka Estate, a coffee plantation. Caution: Yield ahead! This is the first of two Yield’s on this race. One team can force any other team to Yield and squat at the Yield mat for a predetermined amount of time. A team can only use the Yield once so they must be savvy.

At Doka, the teams have a Roadblock. Only one member of a team may complete this task. In this task, each person must sift through 800 pounds of coffee beans to find one red bean. Once found, they will be given their next clue.

Teams must then drive to the town of Jaco and find a surf shop. Inside they must find Javier to receive their next clue. Their next task is a Detour. A detour is a choice between two tasks, each with its own pro’s and con’s. Teams will choose between Relic or Ripe. In Relic, teams must make their way to a nearby rain forest where they will traverse six precarious rope bridges while searching for four relics of the Maya civilization. In Ripe, teams will travel to a nearby banana plantation and gather fifteen bushels of banana’s. They must then hoist them onto a pulley system and take them to the processing plant where those cute stickers you find on each bunch in the grocery store will be stuck. Once completed, they will be given their next clue.

Once the Detour is complete, teams must drive themselves twenty miles to the town of Quepos. Once there, they will drop off their cars and run, walk, crawl to a sandy retreat at the edge of the Pacific ocean. This will be the Pit Stop for this leg of the race. Warning: the last team to arrive may be eliminated.

The Paolo Family: first to depart at 8:22pm…
    Mama is feeling stoked that her sons had given her mad props on the previous leg. However, it isn’t long before DJ goes Tony Soprano on his mom. Like papa says, “It’s the little things that can set us off.” In this case, all mama wants to do is read the clue. They are first at the bus station and want to help the other families out in order to keep the Florida family out of contention.

Mama got her legs going fast enough to get them from the volcano to the car to the estate in first place. Like the increasingly smart team they are, they choose to Yield the Weaver family. Mama is the one who will complete the Roadblock. Her days of gardening showed as she is the second one to find the bean.

Taking a gamble, the Paolo’s choose Ripe. Looking at the bushels of bananas are a bit misleading. How much could they possibly weigh? Apparently, a ton. The Paolo boys are complete wussies when it comes to anything physical. Meanwhile, papa is tossing them over his shoulder like a hefty bag full of wrapping paper. It dawns on the boy’s that papa has a wicked tough job back home. Really? It took you this long to figure that out?

Once competed, the Paolo’s drive towards Quepos and take forever in parking their mini-bus. Mama doesn’t have the legs she used to and falls behind during the footrace to the mat. The Linz’s are now in plain sight behind them. The arrive to the Pit Stop in…

The Weaver Family: second to depart at 9:11pm…
    The Weaver’s have finally caught on that nobody else in the race is jiving with their hypocrisy. In a confessional, the Weaver’s talk about how they were raised not to trust anybody and that “We’re all Christian’s and we’re above that.” Oh sweetie, time to take off those blinders and get out of the roost. They make it to the station in time to catch the second bus, much to the Paolo’s chagrin.

Upon arrival to Doka, the Weaver’s are shocked to find they were Yielded. “The Cleaver’s yielded us.” Huh? Don’t watch much telly do ya? I’m dying to know why they think the Paolo’s resemble the Cleavers. But, like good little Christians, they proceed to laugh and make fun of the Paolo’s and the fake rack on one of the Godlewski sisters. Jealousy perhaps? Mama Weaver gives an unconvincing “We’re above that” before erupting in laughter as Rolly calls the younger Paolo a retard. After the fun and giggles subside, Rachel dives into the coffee beans. She spreads them out and finds the red bean before the Gaghan family putting them in fifth place on route to Jaco.

Once in Jaco, they search for Xavier, no wait- Javier (pronounced with a “J”). Bah, they don’t care. Just give them the clue. They choose to do Relic and seem to get the task done without problems.

As they complete the task, the Gaghan family shows up. As if to add more stress, it turns out mama parked the mini-bus in a mud pit. She’s frustrated and gives up. She screams at a local for help but he just stands there. Haha! Karma sucks, eh? The Gaghan family is quicky closing in and beads of sweat form on mama’s face.

Once at Quepos, they hightail it to the Pit Stop and arrive in…

The Bransen Family: third to depart at 9:16pm…
    Wally feels like the outsider of the foursome since his daughters are so close. Yo Wally- unless you’re joining them in manicures and all night Sex and the City marathons, I have this hankering things aren’t going to change. They arrive to catch the last bus.

After Wally playing Mario Andretti, they arrive to the roadblock. Lauren will be looking for that elusive red coffee bean. After sweating a few gallons, she comes up in fourth place.

This weeks “Great Lake” comment goes to Lauren. She’s not sure what a relic is. tee-hee-hee Good ole Wally does a good job of explaining it and and must confront his fear of heights. Wally doesn’t do well on old crickety rope bridges and a few expletives assure us he hasn’t changed his mind. After helping the Linz’s, they head to the Pit Stop and arrive in…

The Linz Family: fourth to depart at 9:17pm…
    While they have met some really great people on this race, it is becoming more aware that this race is narrowing down in teams and it’s time to up the ante. They make it to the station on time to make it on the first bus with the Paolo family.

On the way to Doka Estate, the question of to yield or not to yield comes into play. Suddenly the light bulbs goes off and yielding the Florida team becomes a humorous and advantageous idea. Muhahahaha. The plan is foiled by the Paolo’s and it is Meghan who will search for the coffee bean. She finds the bean keeping them in third place.

The Linz’s stay low key this episode and fail to do anything interesting that would garner them air time. They do announce that Meghan is officially a Linz Boy and she has eraned her ‘balls’. Somebody might want to forewarn her boyfriend before they get back.

They choose Relic and have a blast taunting Wally and the Bransen girls as they skip along the rope bridges in search of the relics. After receiving help from the Bransen’s, they set off the Quepos. They catch up to the Palo’s and chase them down on foot. They arrive at the Pit Stop in…

The Gaghan Family: fifth to depart at 9:23pm…
    Bill says they need to be real lucky this leg. Lucky as in all of a sudden the other family’s come down with diarrhea kind of lucky. Carrissa asks if they have to run to Costa Rica to which Billy exclaims it’s only 200 miles away. Dad quickly spanks Billy for being so dumb and then hugs Carrissa for not knowing her geography so well.

On the second bus, Bill has time to reflect on the positives of traveling. Despite the ribbing, he does a good job of giving his kids a positive outlook in life. At the Roadblock, Tammy will be looking for the red coffee bean. Tammy seems to be having a tough time finding the bean. Bill, ever the man with wisdom, suggests that yelling and cheering her on might actually make it worse. If I could’ve high-five’d him I would. Personally, I think that was a good call. I’d hate to be sifting through coffee beans, sweating my ass off while the other’s were hanging out yelling at me. Left in last place, Tammy finds the bean and their spirits are not shattered yet.

The Gaghan’s enlist some local help to get them to Jaco faster. I’m secretly hoping this works. Upon arrival to Relic, the Weaver’s are still there and they find out they are in last place. You can see the life sucked out of Bill but ever the optimist, presses on without showing defeat. In true Gaghan form, they have a blast completing the task. I admit, it’s kinda hard to knock a family that teaches their kids well. As tears well up in Bill’s eyes, he asks if they are winners or quitters? Tammy brushes away her own tears and silently mouths “winners” knowing full well they will be eliminated. They arrive at the Pit Stop in…

The Godlewski Family: last to depart at 9:43pm…
    Because the girls came in last and it was a non-elimination leg, they will be starting out with no money and only the pink thongs they pulled on over their clothes. It’s time for them to turn on the charm and mooch some cash but it becomes quite clear the non-English speaking locals don’t understand what they want. One local doesn’t have money but he has love. Hey, I say go for it. The going rate is only five bucks anyways, so they’re not getting that ripped off. Alas it doesn’t take long and they’re off to the terminal to catch the last bus.

Trish is the one looking for the coffee bean and comes up victorious in finding it first. She looks surprised as if to say, “Holy Moley, I really did find it!” The jubilation doesn’t last long and sisterly meltdown ensues. Apparently, Sharon wasn’t cutting the mustard driving so she pulls over and lets Michelle drive. They choose to do Relic and their happy-go-lucky attitude returns with a hola to the Bransen’s. After finding all four relics, they arrive to the Pit Stop in…

First Place: Paolo’s. As winners of this leg, they won one of four wild rides courtesy of Wild Bean Café and BP: a Segway, a Vespa, a jet ski or an all terrain vehicle.

Second Place: Linz Family

Third Place: Bransen Family

Fourth Place: Godlewski Family

Fifth Place: Weaver Family

Last Place: Gaghan Family. In a tearful elimination, they held their heads up high and I admit I’m touched at how well they handled it.

Next week on The Amazing Race: Papa Paolo has trouble swimming and Wally Bransen loses his cool.

Speedbump@fansofrealitytv.com
    Last edited by speedbump; 11-03-2005 at 10:41 PM.

Thanks for the great recap, speedbump!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump
    [I]Upon arrival to Doka, the Weaver’s are shocked to find they were Yielded. “The Cleaver’s yielded us.” Huh? Don’t watch much telly do ya? I’m dying to know why they think the Paolo’s resemble the Cleavers.
    Great recap as ever, but I have to point out that I think the Weavers were being sarcastic, here.

Thanks for the great recap, speedy! I loved the title.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

all of the families got their panties in a bunch over the antics of the Weaver family, DJ Paolo overcame his fear of heights and helped push his family to a first place finish. Billy still remained the “other” child and the Godlewski sister’s made the Bransen girls jealous by teaming up with the Linz boys in exchange for help.

the fake rack on one of the Godlewski sisters. Jealousy perhaps?

One local doesn’t have money but he has love. Hey, I say go for it. The going rate is only five bucks anyways, so they’re not getting that ripped off.
    Great recap, Speedy!
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump
    They do announce that Meghan is officially a Linz Boy and she has eraned her ‘balls’. Somebody might want to forewarn her boyfriend before they get back.
    Love it.

(I would have picked the Vespa)

Is there a recap for this week (11/8), Speedy? I TiVo'd the World Series of Poker instead....oops!
    kitty-cats rule!

+ Reply to Thread