+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: "Amazing Race" Is Not Family-Friendly

Or maybe Great Moose Lake in Maine, apparently the largest inland lake east of the Mississippi.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by LG.
    oh Lobeck, I know you want to see all the families driving around rural Minnesota looking for the midwest's largest ball of twine, driving to Dyersville, Iowa to find the remains of the Field of Dreams baseball field in a cornfield, etc. If they don't make a trip to Wall Drug, I will be very disappointed

OHHH I LOVE "Field of Dreams"!!!!! I want to go there!!!!!

Personally, I think they should have come thru the northeast!! If you travel 100 miles here - you can hit about 3 states!! We have some great stuff to offer too - like Boston's North End (yum, yum), Cape Cod, The White & Green Mountains and of course Maine - how about the outlets at Kittery or Old Orchard Beach and its unique personality!! So many tasks in so many great places here!! Talk about history too!!! Paul Revere's ride, Plymouth Rock and don't forget USS Constitution - the oldest commisioned boat in the US Navy!!!

Come to New England TAR!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LG.
    oh Lobeck, I know you want to see all the families driving around rural Minnesota looking for the midwest's largest ball of twine, driving to Dyersville, Iowa to find the remains of the Field of Dreams baseball field in a cornfield, etc. If they don't make a trip to Wall Drug, I will be very disappointed
    Actually, there are no "remains"--the field is still intact, and is visited by hundreds of thousands of people every year. There is a corn maze, a souvenir store, and the Ghost Players from the movie appear at the field, and around the country. http://www.leftandcenterfod.com/html/index_return.html

I have hated this season! I will be glad when they get back to the regular formula. Now that the kids are gone, I'll probably start watching again. This week looks to be good. I'm glad to see that I'm not in the minority on this. Why does absolutely everything have to be "kid friendly"? TAR was great the way it was and I don't know why it was tampered with in the first place.
    You know how alcohol makes people let down their prohibitions Ms Rap Supreme on VH1

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Quote Originally Posted by agamergirl
    I have hated this season! I will be glad when they get back to the regular formula. Now that the kids are gone, I'll probably start watching again. This week looks to be good. I'm glad to see that I'm not in the minority on this. Why does absolutely everything have to be "kid friendly"? TAR was great the way it was and I don't know why it was tampered with in the first place.
    I debated whether to give up and wait until next season, but in the end I'll take even a bad season of TAR over no TAR at all. I'm hoping this family deal was a one time thing and we'll never see it again. I have gotten a little worried about a possible "celebrity" TAR (and when I say celebrity I mean celebrity mole types, not former racers) because Phil mentioned something along those lines in an interview. I also debated to stop watching until the kids were eliminated, but there have been many teams who've been bringing up the rear the whole race and they managed to get to the end. I had a vow last season that I wasn't going to watch until Romber was eliminated but if I stuck with that I would have missed the whole season. That's the one thing I've always loved about TAR. It really is like a brand new show every season because everything is new to the teams competing. It's like Survivor or Big Brother where they need shake ups and twists to keep the show interesting, or that the contestants can follow a previous contestants lead. While I've seen many on those two shows say they're going to be just like so and so, I don't think I've ever seen a TAR team say they were going to be like some previous team (except the Gaghan's this season, who said they wanted to be like Rob/Amber, which they failed at and may have also added to my dislike). But I may have enjoyed this season a lot more, even with nearly all American destinations, if the contestants were older. I think the original age was set at 12 and I thought that was even too young. But when it's all said and done, I don't think the kids being on were the main reason that the tasks were so easy and lame and that the race took part mostly in America. I think that was all relating to the whole all-American family road trip theme, and while I do think we would have seen some harder and maybe more interesting challenges if the group was older, the producers probably had to take what they had at each location. There are quite a few teams this season that I would have loved to have seen race in pairs of two on a normal race. I still can't believe it was CBS's idea to do this. By the sounds of it, they had a choice between family TAR or an AS. I don't know if that was the choice given to the producers or if CBS made the call for them, but I guess Survivor AS really did leave a bad taste for them to pick this version over an AS (especially since I think AS TAR would have turned out so much better). One thing I'll be looking forward to with TAR9 is the drama that seems to be lacking this season, getting out of the country and hopefully staying out of it until the finish, harder and more interesting tasks and destinations, and going back to just 22 people. This season is nearly over and I still barely know anybody's first name, let alone which one is which Now I'm just hoping we won't be seeing any familiar faces popping up next season (which is supposedly filming now).
    Last edited by karalott; 11-07-2005 at 11:08 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234