+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: It Took An Ass ~ Episode 9 recap

It Took An Ass ~ Episode 9 recap

I asked God for a sign the other day… ya know, that s/he’s was really there… that things would be OK… I think I may have received that sign with this weeks Amazing Race.

Hmmm, did I just give too much away? Perhaps, but maybe, just maybe you will continue to read just to relive the episode for yourself.

It seems like a lot happened this week, and I have a feeling the recap will be long so I’ll go ahead and jump right into…

The Particulars

This week the racers will leave the comfort of the Pit Stop and take a ferry to Nice (pronounced Niece, for all you wrestlers out there… HAHA… I kid Bolo). Once in Nice they need to find the city garden and find the bust of Albert Ramier to get the next clue.

That clue sends them on a 4,500-mile flight to Addisababa, Ethiopia’s capital city. Once there teams need to sign up for one of two charter flights to the small village of Lalibela where vans, with driver, will be waiting with the next route marker.

The teams must direct the drivers on a ten-mile trip to Lewz village to get to this weeks detour. The drivers can only go where the players tell them to, so the contestants must find the best directions.

Once at the village the Detour is waiting. This week teams must choose between Raise The Roof or Mud The Hut. If teams choose Raise The Roof they need to carry a prefab roof 2/3 of a mile and put it on top of an already built hut. They will have seven locals helping them with this task. When the roof is on one of them needs to climb a ladder and place a jug on the very top. If they choose to Mud The Hut they need to use a mixture of dirt, water and straw… and possibly manure as we heard it didn’t smell wonderful… to plaster the side of a traditional Ethiopian hut. After completing the choice of detour they will be given the next clue.

Teams must take two donkeys on a three mile trek and deliver them to a farmer waiting by St. Georges Church. They are given a photograph of the church as their directions.

The second of three yields will be waiting at the church. The contestants must decide whether or not they will yield a team behind them. If a team is yielded they need to wait for the sand in the hour glass to run out before they can continue on with…

The Roadblock, which asks teams: “Who has an eye for detail”. The player chosen to perform the roadblock will need to enter the church, receive a pendant from a gentleman inside, then take it to the worshipers and find the person wearing an identical pendant. Once that person is found they will give the player the final clue directing them to …

The Pit Stop, located at Lalibela Lookout.

And away we go:

Adam and Rebecca 12:12am

After learning they will need to ferry to Nice the on again/off again couple head straight to a hotel. Once there they find out that the ferry will leave at 11:30am.

Once in Nice Adam continues in his belief that “Rapido” means fast in every language known to man, and yells it to the cabbie in an attempt to get to the next clue quickly.

Rebecca is thrilled to be going to Ethiopia, and smiles as she talks about how sad, hot, impoverished and awful the country will be.

At the airport they get a flight out in the morning, so they have to sleep on those oh-so-comfy chairs. In the morning Adam wakes early and gets a better flight out. For some reason Rebecca decides to tell another team about the better flight, and she and Adam fight about it in the way that only they can… she yells, he whines, she yells and breaks up with him, he apologizes, she yells, he cries and begs for forgiveness.

The two still manage to get on the first charter flight and decide to Raise The Roof. They do a fine job carrying the roof, and as Adam climbs the ladder to place a jug on top of the roof, he explains to Rebecca, and us viewers that he’s never done that before.

They go to get the donkeys, but Rebecca can’t get hers to move. Adam trades donkeys with her and they head off for the church.

At the Yield Adam and Rebecca are asked by another team to yield a third team. They agree to do this, and I can only suppose that they didn’t know the placement of any of the teams. I really can’t figure out another reason for them to do this.

Adam does the Roadblock, but decides that he would most likely find worshipers somewhere miles away. He leaves the church and wanders for what had to be at least ½ hour. Realizing his mistake he heads back into the church and has problems finding the matching pendant. Obviously he does find it and he receives the clue sending him and Rebecca to the Pit Stop, where they arrive…

Freddy and Kendra 2:03am

Kendra starts the leg complaining that they have done no research on the Ferry. Gee woman, enough with the research! Freddy suggests that they go to the hotel to research and they do just that. The research consists of:

“Ferry?”
    “11:30am”
    “OK”

Can we guess how Kendra felt about going to Ethiopia? Yes, it’s another third world country… they were just in a third world country! I don’t think this is what she signed up for… poor baby.

At the airport Kendra is furious that Lori and Bolo got to the counter before her. She swears they cut in front of her, but to me, and I watched it three times, it just simply looks like they got there first. She cries about it to Freddy who informs her that they (Lori and Bolo) would never have done that to him, and that he would make sure that nothing like that ever happened to poor Kendra again. Excuse me while I puke.

The models get on the second charter flight, and head off to the village. Upon seeing Ethiopia Kendra remarks: “This is a different kind of poverty than in Dakar, like the people choose to be this way, it’s actually refreshing… the animals aren’t as skinny” Ummm… OK. I don’t know what to make of that statement, so I’ll just leave it at that.

At the Detour the couple decide to Mud The Hut and it seems that Freddy cuts his finger almost immediately. I’m not sure how this fact came to light because he wasn’t complaining about it. Kendra was freaking out though and insisting that he get first aide. She was concerned about him sticking his bleeding finger in the mud. He blew her off and continued to mud the wall.

After taking the donkeys, Kendra starts to have some sort of asthma attack, panic attack, or as she puts it “breath problems”… not breath pronounced in the past tense mind you, but rather in the present tense.

The Africans did make up for “all that breeding” though, when the kids came to Kendra’s rescue and offered to carry her pack, and help them the rest of the way.

At the Yield they see that their picture is up and they will have to wait for the hourglass to run its course. During this time Freddy blames Kendra for being yielded. He was ready to pass the Yield mat, but she was stuck on some hill that she couldn’t maneuver herself down. They argue over this fact for a little while, but the sand finally runs out and they move to the Roadblock.

Kendra makes quick work of matching up the pendants and receives the clue that sends them to the Pit Stop, where they arrive…

Lori and Bolo 2:13am

Bolo reads the clue and pronounces the city phonetically as “nice”. I laugh, but will fully admit to the fact that I may have done the exact same thing, seeing that it was way, way early and… well, it’s spelled that way.

They too go to the hotel to await the ferry. Once in Nice they get a cab quickly and manage to get the only flight out that night. The flight takes them to Rome where they will have to spend the night waiting for the flight to Ethiopia.

They get on the first charter and Bolo is smart enough to get directions from some locals before getting in the van to direct the driver. Along the way he has the driver stop and confirms the directions with more locals.

They choose to Mud The Walls for the Detour, which I must say surprised both me and my husband. They seem to roll through the detour without any problems and go to get the donkeys to take to the church.

Obviously, since you know that Freddy and Kendra were yielded, and that Adam and Rebecca did the yielding, Lori and bolo did NOT yield anyone.

Lori did the roadblock and seemed respectful in the church. That’s important to me… Just thought I’d let you know. Like Adam she has trouble finding the worshipers, but realizes her mistake in good time. She wanders through the worshipers and finds the matching pendant and clue.

She and Bolo head off for the Pit Stop, arriving…

Kris and Jon 2:14am

Warning, this section will be very short.

They too go to the hotel to wait for the ferry. In Nice they have a hard time getting a cab and seem to be falling behind. After receiving the clue they head to a travel agent to get the best possible flight out.

At the airport, they meet up with the others, and everyone has a big slumber party in the terminal. When they wake up the next morning, Rebecca tells them of a better flight, so Kris and Jon manage to get on it with them.

They miss getting on the first charter by minutes, so have to wait for the second one.

At the Detour they opt to Raise The Roof and make quick work of it. They also manage to get what seems to be the only two donkeys that are willing to actually lead the teams where they need to be.

They opt not to Yield anyone, and Kris does the Roadblock. She seems to have absolutely no problems with the task and receives the clue in good time. She and Jon head off for the Pit Stop where they arrive…

Victoria and Jonathon 2:18am

I went ahead and put Victoria first, but to be honest with you, she drives me as crazy and Jonathon does.

Jon tests the worlds gag reflexes by beginning this leg shirtless. Mine is doing ok… hopefully everyone else’s is too. Jon tells us that from now on Victoria will rule the ground aspect of the game, and he will take care of the air. For the record I am resisting the urge to use emoticons in this recap, as I’d really like to use the roll eyes one often.

At the hotel they wait with the others for the ferry to Nice. On the ferry Jon decides it’s best to leave the ferry from the front as that’s where the cabs would be. I was hoping he’d leave from whichever side was facing the water.

The couple gets a cab quickly and has no problems getting to the next clue. They direct the cabbie to take them to a travel agent. Once there, Jon starts yelling about the need for haste. The woman is trying to explain that she can’t help them, because the computers are down. Guess whom he blames for that? Compaq? The travel agent? Apple? NO!! It’s Victoria’s fault of course. You silly people.

At the airport they get on a flight heading out in the morning. Victoria gets the tickets and I see that the original plan for him to master the air is working brilliantly.

In Ethiopia the couple gets on the first charter. Once in Lalibela Jon spends half an hour trying to find some local to ride with them and give directions to the driver. This is for a ten-mile trip remember. Victoria is getting angry, and when she sees the second charter landing begins to scream at Jon to hurry up.

After being in the van for a short while Jon has the driver stop so he can kidnap a child to help with directions. He approaches the youngster and has the following conversation, I’m paraphrasing, but it’s pretty close to the actual conversation:

“Do you speak English?”
    “yes”
    Jon points at sky, “What color is that?”
    “sky”
    “No”, still pointing.
    “Sun”
    “Yes, yes, that’s the sun”

Jon then gets the kid in the van telling Victoria that it doesn’t matter if he can’t speak English. The young man is sitting between them as they argue and looks like he will need many hours on a therapist’s couch to get over this ordeal.

At the Detour they decide to Mud The Wall, and everything goes smoothly at first. Then Victoria reaches into the mud and winds up cutting herself. She is screaming and runs toward a group of gentlemen who are trying to rinse off her hand. She can barely stand still, and Jonathon continues to mud the wall saying that he doesn’t know what is happening… umm… perhaps you could go find out. Even after Kendra screams at him to help Victoria he continues to mud acting like he’s clueless that she could possibly need help. Victoria finally returns and continues to mud, but is working at a slower pace now.

After finishing the task and getting the next clue JON READS take TWO donkeys…. So they wander around looking for donkeys… the ones everyone else found very quickly… and take ONE donkey on the three mile trek to the church. Mwuhahahaha

Once they realize the mistake and can’t talk the farmer into just letting Jon be considered the other ass, they somehow talk Adam and Rebecca into Yielding Freddy and Kendra then start back to get another donkey.

There isn’t a lot of footage of the journey, but we see them return with the donkey. Victoria will be doing the Roadblock and I am happy when she asks one of the local men if she can borrow a shirt. Seems she doesn’t want to go into the church in just a sports bra. Again, not a lot of footage, but she gets the matching pendant and clue, so she and Jon head off for the Pit Stop, arriving…

Hayden and Aaron 2:51am

They have no money for this leg of the race, and are not happy about having to bag. No, it’s not a typo, it’s a pronunciation that Aaron called Hayden on. She was furious insisting that she knows how to telk. In the morning they manage to gather enough money from strangers to get tickets on the ferry. While the ride to Nice they manage to get some more.

Like most others they had to sleep at the airport before boarding the first flight. We are treated to a shot of Hayden waking. She suddenly sits up, looks around and seems to have no clue as to where she is. I hope that she laughed at that scene, because it was funny as hell.

The couple makes it onto the second charter, and tell the driver to just follow the van in front of them. I don’t know who was in it, but that seems risky to me.

For the Detour they decide to Raise The Roof and have no problems doing it.

Upon hearing that he will need to guide Asses, Aaron laughs and says he’s had plenty of practice as he motions to Hayden. She is oblivious to the comment, and I have a feeling Aaron is lucky about that. Hopefully she laughed at that scene too.

They have a huge group of kids leading them to the church and Hayden seems genuinely touched by the goodwill they are being shown.

At the Yield.. ummm, yeah, they don’t use it.

It’s up to Hayden to perform the Roadblock and her journey into the church seems to truly move her. She is humble and respectful, and again it’s niece…. I mean Nice. She matches up the pendants quickly and the couple head to the Pit Stop where they arrive…

The Pit Stop at Lalibela Lookout

1. Hayden and Aaron, receiving a vacation in Mexico.
    2. Lori and Bolo
    3. Jon and Kris
    4. Freddy and Kendra
    5. Adam and Rebecca

Meaning, that Jon and Victoria were finally eliminated from the race. I swear Phil was smiling when he informed them. I honestly try to think of something nice to say about each team that has been eliminated. Usually it’s not hard because I can always fid something nice. Not this time folks. Yeah, they ran a good race, but it couldn’t have been that good, now could it? I do not think I have ever been this happy to have a team eliminated. That’s just the way it is.

Comments? Niece ones? E-Me cali@fansofrealitytv.com Other comments can be directed to: Idontcaretohearit@keepittoyour self.com
    Last edited by cali; 01-20-2005 at 01:37 PM.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Great job as susal Cali!
    I, too, was impressed by Lori and Victoria's respect of the church.
    And I am SOOO happy that they are gone! WOOHOO!! :phhht

Didn't ya just love Phil looking so gleeful?? Your recaps put the joyjoyjoy down in my heart, Cali!
    Last edited by Texicana; 01-20-2005 at 02:13 PM.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Thanks for the recap, cali! Now that the evil ones are gone, maybe I can start watching again.

Asses to asses, dust to dust...
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

The eyes says everything quangtran's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cali
    Kendra makes quick work of matching up the pendants and receives the clue that sends them to the Pit Stop, where they arrive?
    It was Freddy who did the pendant task, not Kendra.

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    We are treated to a shot of Hayden waking. She suddenly sits up, looks around and seems to have no clue as to where she is. I hope that she laughed at that scene, because it was funny as hell.

I'm telling you, the expression on Hayden's face had me laughing for the remainder of the show. It's one of those things I should save and play when I'm in a bad mood.

Great recap Cali - I, along with about 99.9% of everyone who watches this show, am thrilled that Team Abuse is gone.

The research consists of:

“Ferry?”
    “11:30am”
    “OK”

I went ahead and put Victoria first, but to be honest with you, she drives me as crazy and Jonathon does.

I was hoping he’d leave from whichever side was facing the water.

At the airport they get on a flight heading out in the morning. Victoria gets the tickets and I see that the original plan for him to master the air is working brilliantly.

The young man is sitting between them as they argue and looks like he will need many hours on a therapist’s couch to get over this ordeal.

Once they realize the mistake and can’t talk the farmer into just letting Jon be considered the other ass, they somehow talk Adam and Rebecca into Yielding Freddy and Kendra then start back to get another donkey.
    Excellent job, Cali. What a glorious moment to have Phil say those wonderful words (and you're right...he definitely had a twinkle in his eye. )
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

FORT Regular
    Gee... in my house I could have sworn Phil said "Fortunately, you've been eliminated from the Race, please leave the Chateaux" (OK, that last part was from Joe Millionaire, but it has legs). Note that there was no UN before Fortunately. I was doing a happy dance.

Also, I could have sworn that Freddy finished the Road Block before Adam, despite being Yielded. Is that Yield truly an hour? Phil only says it's an hour glass.

Once again a great Cali-cap. I always get a chuckle.

A great recap to my favourite episode so far. After seeing the show I was really looking forward to your recap. I laughed so hard all the way through it that it was hard to pick a favourite part.

Perhaps it was the cumulative effect, but I think that I laughed hardest at:

and take ONE donkey on the three mile trek to the church. Mwuhahahaha
    and

She was furious insisting that she knows how to telk
    Last edited by William13; 01-20-2005 at 03:17 PM. Reason: screwed quote tags

great recap, cali! i loved this episode as i was as pleased as you when that jerkoff of a team got the boot.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast