+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: It Took An Ass ~ Episode 9 recap

FORT Fogey
    Freddy seems too afraid to mess up his pretty looks
    Perhaps but he kept going after cutting his finger. No complaints. He showed that he's tough. Some people just take their looks seriously. There's been worse on TAR...

cali, great cap as always! I liked your on purpose mix ups of nice and niece! Hee! Great job!! Liked the title too, how fitting!

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar
    wow cali that was alot of fun to read. i love the way you set the whole thing up. agree with all of you about elation over j & v's loss.
    "...Mr. Bluebird on my shoulder..."

Great recap! Esp. the Jon and Victoria stuff - priceless! LOL.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

Sales of UnderArmour have tanked since TAR6 started...

Quote Originally Posted by VenturePrise
    It was good that Jonathan and Victoria ended their run on the race the way they did. The way they showed class and respect when they stepped on the pit stop mat, instead of whining or complaining. They gave a moment to wait then they both stepped on the mat together. They never gave up to the very end. They had heart and desire. It was a strong scene when Jonathan and the African locals had their arms up in the air to show there is no quitting and one must fight to the end. Jonathan and Victoria had a lot of respect for the culture, and the people of Africa. The locals were smiling and helping all the teams. Jonathan concludes by giving away his possessions, a heartfelt gesture. We see a guy with lots of care and compassion, and Jonathan and Victoria were able to share a touching moment at the end. They are indeed connected at the soul.
    No use talking yourself up, Jonathon--we're not buying that any of that drivel above could possibly be an opinion of someone other than you!

This post is a joke, right?

What could you possibly mean by saying that Jonathon and Victoria never gave up? Jonathon gave up mere moments after he convinced Adam & Rebecca to yield Freddy & Kendra. (And, if you factor in footage from the on-line diaries, that was a fatal mistake to have made...and thank you, Jonathon, for having made it.) He even yelled at Victoria not to bother trying anymore--the ultimate hypocrisy for the ultimate bad sport...for all of the time that he spent screaming at Victoria for wasting mere seconds in legs where they were never in danger of being eliminated, when they were finally in danger...rather than remain competitive and lose-while-trying, they give up and prove that they weren't worth the emotional baggage they brought with them.

And respecting the culture? Again--are you for real? Jonathon's pathetic attempt to get the locals walking with him to raise their hands in the air demeans the power of similar scenes in Soweto during the struggles against apartheid...or even the natural outpouring of love and respect given to Muhammad Ali during the weeks leading up to his fight against George Foreman in Zaire. These locals were reluctant to do something just because he kept badgering them to do it... He belittled and diminished locals every step of the way--treating them as little more than servants who should be happy to receive his crumbs in order to help him in this rather silly (in the scope of things that matter in the rest of the world) race. (And do I need to bring up the disgraceful "President of Synagogue" moment?)

Giving away his possessions is a sign of class? No...last year when Chip spent a few seconds on a porch was a clearer sign of class and respect. What does it matter to a materialistic rich bastard like Jonathon if he gives away things that he can easily replace? Magnanimous at worst, Jonathon...and a tediously worthless gesture at best.

And if Jonathon and Victoria are "connected at the soul"--despite having seen absolutely no reason to be convinced by their pale spoken-but-never-proven sentiments...then I feel great empathy for them. Victoria needs to watch these episodes and realize that she is suffering from a great deal of emotional abuse from someone who does not respect her. Jonathon needs anger management counseling...as well as a healthy dose of perspective, to see that the world does not revolve around him...and that his mind is incredibly warped beyond the point where anyone else could hope to understand how he thinks and why he acts the way he does.

There was not one moment in this entire season where I had the slightest bit of empathy for either character. They were cruel, shallow and eventually irrelevant participants in what is usually a very enjoyable slice of televised entertainment.

This race often teaches people about themselves and what they can accomplish. Sadly, I think neither Jonathon nor Victoria have learned anything about themselves or each other...and we learned that people this twisted and pathetic really do exist.

And no amount of post-episode spin can ever disguise their rather vile and venal nature...

pg--seattle

PS--And now, I can root for Kris & Jon--possibly the most centered couple in the history of The Amazing Race--without the uncontrollable urge to throw the remote at the screen everytime Jonathon said something cruel, self-delusional or idiotic.

wow, although I think that's one hell of a great post, I think we should try to keep this thread about the cap... perhaps the J&V discussions should be in there thread
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

I swear Phil was smiling when he informed them.
    snort!
    "My life gets less like chess and more like whack-a-mole every day."
    <-- "I'm Hexy and I know it!"

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by pg13
    No use talking yourself up, Jonathon--we're not buying that any of that drivel above could possibly be an opinion of someone other than you!

This post is a joke, right?

What could you possibly mean by saying that Jonathon and Victoria never gave up? Jonathon gave up mere moments after he convinced Adam & Rebecca to yield Freddy & Kendra. (And, if you factor in footage from the on-line diaries, that was a fatal mistake to have made...and thank you, Jonathon, for having made it.) He even yelled at Victoria not to bother trying anymore--the ultimate hypocrisy for the ultimate bad sport...for all of the time that he spent screaming at Victoria for wasting mere seconds in legs where they were never in danger of being eliminated, when they were finally in danger...rather than remain competitive and lose-while-trying, they give up and prove that they weren't worth the emotional baggage they brought with them.

And respecting the culture? Again--are you for real? Jonathon's pathetic attempt to get the locals walking with him to raise their hands in the air demeans the power of similar scenes in Soweto during the struggles against apartheid...or even the natural outpouring of love and respect given to Muhammad Ali during the weeks leading up to his fight against George Foreman in Zaire. These locals were reluctant to do something just because he kept badgering them to do it... He belittled and diminished locals every step of the way--treating them as little more than servants who should be happy to receive his crumbs in order to help him in this rather silly (in the scope of things that matter in the rest of the world) race. (And do I need to bring up the disgraceful "President of Synagogue" moment?)

Giving away his possessions is a sign of class? No...last year when Chip spent a few seconds on a porch was a clearer sign of class and respect. What does it matter to a materialistic rich bastard like Jonathon if he gives away things that he can easily replace? Magnanimous at worst, Jonathon...and a tediously worthless gesture at best.

And if Jonathon and Victoria are "connected at the soul"--despite having seen absolutely no reason to be convinced by their pale spoken-but-never-proven sentiments...then I feel great empathy for them. Victoria needs to watch these episodes and realize that she is suffering from a great deal of emotional abuse from someone who does not respect her. Jonathon needs anger management counseling...as well as a healthy dose of perspective, to see that the world does not revolve around him...and that his mind is incredibly warped beyond the point where anyone else could hope to understand how he thinks and why he acts the way he does.

There was not one moment in this entire season where I had the slightest bit of empathy for either character. They were cruel, shallow and eventually irrelevant participants in what is usually a very enjoyable slice of televised entertainment.

This race often teaches people about themselves and what they can accomplish. Sadly, I think neither Jonathon nor Victoria have learned anything about themselves or each other...and we learned that people this twisted and pathetic really do exist.

And no amount of post-episode spin can ever disguise their rather vile and venal nature...

pg--seattle

PS--And now, I can root for Kris & Jon--possibly the most centered couple in the history of The Amazing Race--without the uncontrollable urge to throw the remote at the screen everytime Jonathon said something cruel, self-delusional or idiotic.

Every time they hit some sort of obstacle or something didn't go his way, his response was "We lost". Nothing says never giving up like "We lost".

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234