+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 192021222324252627282930313233 LastLast

Thread: 01/18 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo-Gilgamesh
    Rebecca about Adam: "Never send a woman to do a mans job."

Okay, this is my favorite line of all time, encompassing all reality shows EVER! I laughed so hard my side hurt...

Quote Originally Posted by Vicarious_Viewr
    I forgot to thank you Mrs CWebb for jinxing J&V properly and getting them eliminated

I think all the contestants can be cited for inappropraite actions / words at some point in this race (except maybe Kris & Jon)...whether it's intentional or not is beside the point. It's a TV show where every second recorded on tape has the potential of glorifying or vilifying you. Most of the contestants are actor/model/performer types who should be well aware of this. They are only in the countries & towns for a couple of days at the most....so the respect or lack of respect they show is more relevant, imo because that interaction IS the lasting impression the locals and some viewers will have of them.

Opinions/attitudes formed by poorly misinformed points of view are unfortunately a given in every day life and they are often changed when people grow and mature. Impressions you give as a result of your actions are far more relevant in the interactive process. It's nearly impossible to know what a person truly thinks or believes unless you are miraculously telepathic. How they treat you on the other hand is obvious and out in the open. I'm not defending any of Kendra's badly chosen words but I feel that there are others (Jonathon & Victoria, Lori briefly) who are more worthy of criticism than the current scapegoat (Kendra).
    Since I'm one of the prime Kendra haters out there, I'll put my 2 cents in here... I agree that Jonathan & Victoria's behavior, particularly Jonathan's, takes the cake. It's beyond bad, and 90% of the denizens of this board are mortified by it. I also agree that Kris and Jon are the one team that really has nothing to be ashamed of. I disagree however that Lori's actions at the church were worse than Kendra's comments. You say that Kendra's comments come from her ignorance, but don't Lori's actions come from her ignorance as to how to act in a church? As has been pointed out she knelt or genuflected to try to show respect, perhaps she didn't act perfectly, but she was not trying to offend. Kendra on the other hand made terrible comments in the presence of the Seneglese taxi driver. She must be the most ignorant person on the planet to not understand that her comments would be hurtful and infuriating to him. Either that, or she doesn't care enough about strangers to mind that she insults them. I don't think that taxi driver, or any of us need to be telepathic to know how Kendra feels about the impoverished people of Senegal.
    Its probably true, as someone said, that some of us think Kendra is a lost cause. Others like her. This is why we feel the need to get on our computers and see what Fort is saying and join the discussion. For me, I can't put her comments in the Sengalese taxi behind me. They were just too offensive. The expression on her face, and the way she said "Great, we're going to a third world country" just reinforced my image of her.

Quote Originally Posted by kungfuhippie
    The expression on her face, and the way she said "Great, we're going to a third world country" just reinforced my image of her.
    I'm going to assume that you're referring to last night's show when she said "great, we're going to ANOTHER (my emphasis, as she whined on that word) third world country. We've already been to one." with that look of disgust on her face. Then, once she sees that the land is actually green and lush and beautiful... she says something along the lines of "Oh, this poverty is different, it's like they actually CHOOSE to be this way" as if all of a sudden that made it more palatable.

Yeah Kendra is pretty disgusting. And the thing is it's not just a one time thing. The way she talks to Freddy.. she takes no credit for her mistakes.. and Freddy has to treat her like a princess.. ugh. She could potentially be worse than Hayden, except I just can't stand Hayden's voice when she whines..

You're right Broadway, thats what I was refering to. Her further comments on people choosing to live that way were certainly ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by fougette
    As I sit here, listening to that sad, sad woman Victoria tell us that no matter how it looks, her and Jonathon are connected at the soul, I shake my head in absolute amazement. My observant hubby notes this and asks " I wonder how many other people are shaking their heads?" "Millions..."

Classic abusive relationship...
    I wondered if it was something that was added in the past few weeks. Haven't most added comments by the eliminated teams been done with them sitting at the pitstop talking together? I seem to recall it's either the stuff they say right at the mat with Phil or a taped interview before they leave the pitstop. My first thought was that it was "spin" by CBS for all the flack they've gotten for not stopping Jonathan's abuse earlier in the race.

I hope it's okay for me to refer to another website here...

An interesting interview with Freddy & Kendra in the extra clips on the CBS site actually showed Kendra acting contrite about her previous judgmental words and attitudes towards Africa. I was tending to agree with the view of Kendra as racist, when I can now see her as a VERY inexperienced 23(?) year-old.

Another clip of Jonathan after their loss showed him giving lip service to their being a team and each taking responsibility for 50% of the result BUT whenever they fell apart it was because of Victoria's panic attacks. Huh? I must have missed something. So he basically was explaining that it was all her fault. I shake my head again... Sadly, she states that she was able to establish her personal boundaries more strongly. What show were these two watching, anyway?

FORT Fogey
    Insider shows a different light on Freddy & Kendra. In one, they are waiting for their Lufthansa flight and apparently Freddy lost his jackets. He needs to get another one before they go somewhere cold. Anyway, he's wearing a Lufthansa blanket cuz apparently it's cold out. He talks about what a good bum he makes but he hasn't started going through the trash. But he says they should sell their house and move into the Miami airport. Kendra comments that she tried to give him her jacket but it was, unsurprisingly, too small. I thought they came off as really funny. Too bad that wasn't shown.

Then, after the leg is over and they're doing the confessional/interviews that they do at the pitstop, they comment about Ethiopia. Kendra comments that she was wrong to talk about Senegal the way she did and how much she liked the way Ethiopia is. Freddy mentions, what I think is an awesome line, that they are the richest people!!! Go Freddy! Kendra mentions that her eyes have been open and she's learned a lot. NOW, here's the critical thing: Can she remember that for the next 3rd world country? I hope so. It'd be great to see a sheltered brat come out of TAR with such a great new look on life who in that case would be so humiliated by the Senegal episode, she would be completely changed. I hope that's the case because that would've made TAR worth it for her. Here's hoping.

Edit: Fougette beat me to it! Mine's just a bit more detailed so I left it in.

Also, there's another one where Hayden is upset and is talking about missing her dog. Freddy tries to make her feel better(Aaron has already done a lot of that, but then Freddy also helps.) I dunno. I can't hate Freddy because I think he's a really genuinely nice guy. Maybe he just REALLY hates confrontations and that's why he never said anything to Kendra about her comments. Or he waited till they got back home or something. Ok, he DID threaten to break people in half but that was him just losing it and then feeling bad after that happened and I'm sure he apologized to everyone at the pitstop. He then complained to Kendra that she caused them to be Yielded but that's understandable frustration. We've all blamed friends and family for stuff, especially if we're stressed and we're positive it's their faults. They seemed to make up quickly. In a way, that's kind of like when Brandon and Nicole would have their little fights.

Of course JMO but I can't hate either and I'm holding the hope that Kendra really does do a 180. One that changes her for the rest of her life.

The eyes says everything quangtran's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil_Cutie
    Then, after the leg is over and they're doing the confessional/interviews that they do at the pitstop, they comment about Ethiopia. Kendra comments that she was wrong to talk about Senegal the way she did and how much she liked the way Ethiopia is. Freddy mentions, what I think is an awesome line, that they are the richest people!!! Go Freddy! Of course JMO but I can't hate either and I'm holding the hope that Kendra really does do a 180. One that changes her for the rest of her life.
    Everyone starts off ignorant, so I'm glad Kendra seems to be doing a bit of personal growth. I also like how the Amazing Caption Writers (at the insider website) seems to think the same.

FORT Regular
    I actually started to like Hayden after the last episode, because she didn't scream at all (that I can remember), and she WAS so touched by the church.

I have trouble forgiving Kendra. I hope that her "growth" is more than superficial, i.e., that having her eyes opened means more than a condescending pity for those less fortunate than she.

Freddy? I don't know. He doesn't seem like a bad guy, but wow did he lose it on KENDRA when they were yielded - Jonathanesque. He was screaming at Kendra, "You're the reason we were yielded! Why didn't you move faster?!" etc.

+ Reply to Thread