+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324252627282930313233 LastLast

Thread: 01/18 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

I don't think Lori was necessarily disrespectful, but she appeared to be irritated the entire time. I guess what I am trying to say is that compared to Hayden she seemed unimpressed with the place and short with the worshipers who were circling the church. You're probably right that exhaustion had a lot to do with it. That, and probably feeling out of place and increasingly confused since she had so much trouble matching her cross.

FORT Regular
    I dont know why i am saying this but Jon and Victoria did not have a chane. I beleive Phil said if was a three mile walk to the Church. So Jon and Vic had to go six miles back and then back to the Church. They both are not in great shape so i dont think they even had a prayer.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by BRIS01
    I dont know why i am saying this but Jon and Victoria did not have a chane. I beleive Phil said if was a three mile walk to the Church. So Jon and Vic had to go six miles back and then back to the Church. They both are not in great shape so i dont think they even had a prayer.
    ... not to mention the fact that the donkys don't move very quickly.

FORT Regular
    Re. church - I think Hayden had the luxury of really drinking in the experience, because Aaron and she were ahead. The others were all pretty rushed & seemed disrespectful by comparison, though obviously some were better than others.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL

Mommymack: Are you Adam's mother? !!

Funny! No, definitely not. I hope my sons grow up to have much more backbone and confidence. I just think what was funny the first time Rebecca said it, is no longer funny. It's her trying to make herself feel superior. I agree with the majority that they both need to move on. Adam needs to find someone who will respect him for who he is, and Rebecca needs someone she can't push around.

Respect/disrespect regarding the church is a non-issue from my perspective, but my reasoning leaves me with a question regarding any instructions the racers receive about appropriate conduct in a given setting.

Having a task at the church, and setting the racers off to inspect the worshipers was done in a way that implied to me that those involved were being compensated in some way, which makes the possible failure to demonstrate reverence and respect somewhat understandable in my opinion. I wonder whether all the racers, particularly those lagging, considered the church and the locals as anything more than a show prop. Not that I would expect anyone to intentionally do something to offend, but the idea that the racers would automatically be concerned about something like their apparel, not having known that they were headed to church (perhaps after having just concluded a mudslinging exercise) is something I wouldn't have considered.

If, for instance, being mucky does make a world of difference when visiting, and a team in its haste didn't take the time to locate a water source prior to arriving at the church to get cleaned up, only to be denied entry and discover that the closest water was 3 miles away, it seems like the show would be potentially sticking it to every team that having chose mud over roof hoofing, didn't realize that there was a hidden part 2 to that task in order to participate at the next point.

Btw, I'd appreciate it if someone could post the name of that church. This is another one of those local points they breeze through far too quickly for me. I'd really like to know more about that place; who built it, when, and particularly why they built it through excavation rather than above ground.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
    Btw, I'd appreciate it if someone could post the name of that church. This is another one of those local points they breeze through far too quickly for me. I'd really like to know more about that place; who built it, when, and particularly why they built it through excavation rather than above ground.
    I think it was St. George? Did they mention the full name? Anyone? Bueller?

You can rationalize Lori's actions any way you want...EVERYONE was fatigued at that point. You have to realize those kind of actions are viewed as more disrespectful than any comments made by any of the contestants. Kendra's controversial comments are simply a misinformed opinion and come likely from a person with a sheltered background. Comments are just that -OPINIONS. Actions such as being disrespectful at their Church are far uglier in my opinion because it's more direct.

I like Lori & Bolo and consider them one of the funnier teams to watch. It seems nearly everyone here is against Kendra no matter what she says. I find Jonathon's condescension with the natives and Lori's slip of respect at the Church far more worthy of criticism than anything Kendra did/said in this episode.

I agree with all who said this was the best episode of the season so far. It felt like a real race with the absence of "hours of operation" and taxis. I think the fact that Hayden had to beg for cash at the start definitely tempered her attitude for this leg of the race. How they collected 200 euros in a matter of (a couple of)hours is another matter entirely. Should be a fun finish.

ack I don't know the name of the Church either, sorry.
    Last edited by Vicarious_Viewr; 01-19-2005 at 04:51 PM. Reason: addendum

Quote Originally Posted by Peakin
    I think it was St. George? Did they mention the full name? Anyone? Bueller?
    Thanks, Peakin. Perhaps I'll run across the name of the area and be able to link it with the name if St. George doesn't provide results by itself.

Vicarious_Viewr's comment "I think the fact that Hayden had to beg for cash at the start definitely tempered her attitude for this leg of the race" reminded me of something I decided watching this week.

I forget whether it was Bolo who mentioned not having the cash to spare for a room, but whoever it was, I figured if I were in their shoes, and observing the ease which the NEL racers generate cash I'd be working on my "poor little me" delivery and begging my fanny off until someone instucted me that it was against the rules. To heck with sleeping in the street if you can con some cash out of someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicarious_Viewr
    Lori's slip of respect at the Church far more worthy of criticism than anything Kendra did/said in this episode.
    I'm not justifying what Lori did, quite frankly, I'm not religiously informed myself, so unless someone instructed me of proper behavior, the most I would do is be quiet and cover my bare skin, but I believe the difference between Lori's action and Kendra's is one is intentional and one is not. Kendra made her statements malicously while Lori did it without knowing. Not that it justifies it, but its more "understandable"?

+ Reply to Thread