+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324252627282930313233 LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 325

Thread: 01/18 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

  1. #231
    FORT Fogey Leftcoaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,326
    Pity our wretched little (third) world traveler Kendra, having to deal with Africa yet again. Feel her pain, empathize with the burden she endures; after all, ďweíve already been to a third world country!Ē Someone hand me a tissue, please. But wait! Things arenít so bad; itís a more palatable type of poverty. After her epiphany that they like it that way, in addition to noting the cattle are fed, all is right in her world; sheís so jazzed she may even take home a child as a souvenir.

    Iíve reached the point where Iím getting the greatest kick out of the demonstrative moaning and misery offered up by the racers. One trick pony Rebecca again (and again) lets Adam and anyone in ear or eye range know just how bad it is being her and having to put up with him/her/whatever. Instead of repelling him, however, it appears to turn him on to the point of wanting to lap dance on her. Going to the temple was a hoot. Even though she sees Adam taking an exit stage left, she has too much respect for the sacred site and too little for the notion of competing to shout out to him, presumably preferring to murmur a prayer instead. Adam doesnít do pressure all that well, even after the fact. I truly enjoyed his herky-jerky little rant dance after completing the task. I also think Adam ought to have his eyes examined if he still thinks the Ethiopia that was shown is green all over.

    I donít understand Jonathonís inclination to go shirtless when unnecessary. Is he hoping for a Playgirl spread or something?

    Why so many chose the mud pitching over carrying the roof with plenty of assistance is beyond my understanding. Has Bolo gotten to the point where he fears stroking out, having gotten too close to his cardiovascular threshold? Jonathon/Victoria I understand; he probably didnít feel he could count on her, but he ought to know by now the task doesnít make a difference, sheíll try and find a way of turning it into a nightmare. Just what was her problem this time? Unlike Freddy (a trooper), she didnít seem to injure herself, not unless it was on a psychic level. Iíd really begun to have a greater appreciation for some of Jonathonís histrionics by this point, and realized that I may have gotten a clue a bit too late to matter. Was it getting (presumably) hired help that sunk these two? I thought they had started with two donkeys before they set out and handed over the reins and responsibility to another.



    Quote Originally Posted by Lil_Cutie
    Kendra cannot be a racist. She "wanted to take one home" and if she were a racist she wouldn't have said that.
    I donít know that she is one, but there isnít anything in what she said there that demonstrates to me that she isnít. Has she also made reference to packing up northern or southern European kids to remove from their world for her own enjoyment and due to the elevation in stature she apparently feels over them and their environment? Ethiopia may indeed be poor in comparison to other regions, but the manner of living that was depicted to me implied tradition more than deprivation.

  2. #232
    Retired! hepcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    in a good place
    Posts
    27,046
    Ethiopia really blew me away. I had a generalized stereotype of a big desert in my head, and it looked nothing like I expected. It was so green, with lush valleys, deep canyons, FOG! I don't know why fog surprised me so much, but it did. What a beautiful country!
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

  3. #233
    FORT Fan Vicarious_Viewr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    176
    Leftcoaster and sweetpea both mentioned Adam's hilarious hissy fit which was very funny. I think they may be the new team that everyone will root against. Rebecca is the stronger racer of the 2 but her whining is still annoying. At least Adam brings some unintentional humor to the table.

    The Kendra bashing may be a lost cause at this point. People who consider her racist will not let up on that - barring some divine opportunity of redemption for her. I don't think she's racist- but I'll admit her comments are borderline ignorant sometimes. I think that in itself is not as bad as some of the other contestants' actions.

    No one makes a big fuss about Lori's less than amicable(almost rude) behavior at the temple...not to mention the fact she was under-dressed (Victoria at least put a shirt on). Jonathon's pandering & posturing actions in Africa make for an easy target as ugly behavior yet it seems more people are ready to jump on Kendra for her poorly chosen words.

    Actions speak louder than words and Kendra has DONE nothing to make me jump to the conclusion she's a racist. If anything...she's shown at least an attempt at understanding with good intentions.

    All that said, the next few weeks will be infinitely more tolerable with no screeching from J&V.
    Last edited by Vicarious_Viewr; 01-19-2005 at 02:26 AM. Reason: sp, punct. & addendum

  4. #234
    Dani Filth is My Hero undertakeress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Monroe, Michigan
    Posts
    222
    Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    Ethiopia really blew me away. I had a generalized stereotype of a big desert in my head, and it looked nothing like I expected. It was so green, with lush valleys, deep canyons, FOG! I don't know why fog surprised me so much, but it did. What a beautiful country!

    I thought that too...When they showed the landscape I was in awe... I mean, I always had a thought that it was desert with Sally Struthers eating the Ethiopians ...
    I <3 Cradle of Filth

  5. #235
    The eyes says everything quangtran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    958
    So far i've been pretty impressed with their selection of locations. I always look forward to the visits to Asia.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vicarious_Viewr
    Actions speak louder than words and Kendra has DONE nothing to make me jump to the conclusion she's a racist. If anything...she's shown at least an attempt at understanding with good intentions.
    Thank-you for mentioning that. I thought I was the only one who thought that.

  6. #236
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    283
    Kendra's little "transformation" is almost as repulsive as her initial behavior. It's nice that she is changing her mind about these countries, but the reasons are just as delusional and ignorant as her reasons for finding Senegal vile. In my mind nothing can redeem her "and they just keep breeding and breeding" comment, not even a teary-eyed statement of love for the children of Ethiopia..whom she appeared to love simply because they carried her backpack! I guess she only likes impoverished people who willingly treat her like the princess she thinks she is. As for Freddy, it's interesting that he didn't scream about his blood-gushing finger after his reaction to the gate-in-the-face, I guess injuries are only worth shouting about if it messes up his "model" face. I also saw shades of Jonathan in his behavior right before he and Kendra reached the Road Block clue.

    Jonathan/Victoria..finally finally finally we will no longer be tortured with their presence! And again, like the last episode, Victoria was actually the worse of the two tonight. Was her hand even bleeding? If it weren't for the likely abuse going in the relationship I'd say Jon/Vic absolutely deserve each other. I thought there would be a rage-filled exit at first, but thinking about it the pseudo-appreciative speech and subsequent hugging is definitely more of a Jonathan-style move, attempting to go out as some superheroic, cultured individual. I wasn't actually surprised by their exit though, as I stumbled across a spoiler that came from the mouth (or the keyboard at least) of one of the Racers. And to reiterate a few other folks, it is quite fitting that it took an ass to rid us of an ass.

    Adam/Rebecca...what was the deal with them yielding Freddy/Kendra? I know they have had disagreements with Jon/Vic in the past (the "STOP FOLLOWING ME!" drama a few weeks ago comes to mind) so it struck me as strange. Any type of alliance between them and Jon/Vic should have been shown more explicitly because that didn't click for me giving the footage we've gotten.

    Speaking of footage they should have shown, how did Lori/Bolo sneak ahead of Kris/Jon? It's weird that the easily-winded wrestlers (Bolo seems to be near hyperventilation after running more than 10 feet) beat the most athletic team in what was essentially a foot race. It looks like the Insider clips for this week don't have more info on this either. Just a weird thing to edit out since it did have a direct effect on this leg's standings. As for the teams themselves..Jon/Kris are still great but they were practically invisible this episode, and Lori rubbed me the wrong way with her flippant behavior towards the locals, particularly when she demanded that one of them show her how to get to the pit stop. Perhaps more sleep is bringing back her screaming lunatic behavior we grew accustomed to in the first few episodes?

    As for Hayden/Aaron, I'm glad they bounced back from last leg and that Hayden finally took her own advice by calming down. Granted they were not required to drive anything this leg which must have had a big impact on their team harmony and first place finish but it was still good to see. If it weren't for their problems in the driving area they probably would come in first place even more often, like Colin/Christie last year. And they better hope they can take a taxi on the last leg of the race (if they get that far) or they're screwed.

  7. #237
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,207
    Maybe Lori & Bolo took a shortcut through the village dump and that was why Phil commented on how they smelled??!!

  8. #238
    Retired! hepcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    in a good place
    Posts
    27,046
    I thought it was from their stint in the mud, gracie.

    ETA: Well, that and the fact that they're big sweaty wrestlers.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

  9. #239
    Proud Football MOM Footballmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    football stadiums "GO 60" GO SEAHAWKS!!!
    Posts
    231
    Just my opinion......I think that Kendra has never been exposed to anything close to poverty here in our own country let alone what she experienced in Africa. Don't get me wrong.....her comments were sickening to say the lest. I can only hope that in looking back on this "Amazing Race" that she will have a new appreciation for how blessed she is and was sickened when she had to watch that episode. If she learns from the reaction of people who were not pleased with her insesitive remarks in Africa then then shall we cast the first stone for mistakes we have made in our lifes or things we have said that we wished we could take back? Time will tell.
    ["your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear what you say"]

  10. #240
    The eyes says everything quangtran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    958
    Quote Originally Posted by haerpino
    In my mind nothing can redeem her "and they just keep breeding and breeding" comment, not even a teary-eyed statement of love for the children of Ethiopia..whom she appeared to love simply because they carried her backpack! As for Freddy, it's interesting that he didn't scream about his blood-gushing finger after his reaction to the gate-in-the-face, I guess injuries are only worth shouting about if it messes up his "model" face.
    I find it strange how certain actions such as not screaming in pain can be slanted towards the negative. Same as Kendra appreciating the children. I'm pretty sure every nice action they do from now on has some kind of evil agenda (note sarcasm).

    Quote Originally Posted by haerpino
    Adam/Rebecca...what was the deal with them yielding Freddy/Kendra? I know they have had disagreements with Jon/Vic in the past (the "STOP FOLLOWING ME!" drama a few weeks ago comes to mind) so it struck me as strange. Any type of alliance between them and Jon/Vic should have been shown more explicitly because that didn't click for me giving the footage we've gotten.
    I was always pretty sure there was something fishy in the editing. Alliances and friendly bonding (like Kris and Jon inviting J and V to the club) would probably baffle most people at home(who see him as the Antichrist), so the footage is probably scrapped.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.