+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Amazing Race 7 to premiere March 1

I like that 6 & 7 are so close together. Why? Because when something else takes it's timeslot, maybe I will slip into watching that something else, and forget about TAR. I am not particularly loyal when it comes to TV programming. (To me) One good thing about TAR is that it never gets boring, there are always new places and new cultures to see. Too much Survivor (and such) gets a little boring because it is only about people, the greatness of TAR is that it is a bit about people and a bit about seeing the world from the comfort of your own couch
    Last edited by Tirlittan; 01-19-2005 at 04:02 PM.
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

FORT Regular
    I really think it was either March or waiting until November being that it is no longer strugleing it wont be put on during the Summer. And AR2 started in MArch and that was the highest rated season i think dont know if AR5 or AR6 are beating it so i think this is more positve than bad, i think.

I was kind of hoping the next one would be summer '05. In the past I've jokingly said they should be constantly showing TAR -- maybe 4 per year? But, realistically that would only be a good thing for us TAR fanatics. For the 10m+ viewers that are keeping it on the air, 2 per year is probably better. And, I like TAR in the summer. So, I was hoping for a fixed spot in the summer, then the other one being plunked down into the fall/spring lineup wherever they needed it.

Who knows what this means for TAR summer '05. Probably won't be one, but who knows. It keeps their summer ad revenues way up if they do show one then.

They had almost written TAR off back in the TAR3 days, so maybe they figure they just run with and risk burning it out, and oh well, they got more out of it than they thought they would. LET'S HOPE NOT!!!!

One thing for sure, this means they'll be using up their last FILMED TAR. Since TAR7 soon to premiere is either only recently completed or is underway. So, to have a summer '05 TAR(8), they'd need to be taking apps like PRONTO, to get it filmed in time for a July 4(ish) premiere. Since there's been no hint of apps, I'm guessing that's another strike against summer TAR. If they want one ready by mid-Sep for a fall premiere, they'll need to take apps again with due dates of about May(ish).

As far as the NCAA basketball tourney. Back in TAR2, when TAR2 was on Wed, they moved original Survivor episodes to Wed (before TAR2) for a couple of weeks. Those two TAR2 episodes remain to this day as 2 of the top 4 most-viewed episodes of all TAR time. And, that was back when TAR was generally not doing all that well. So, maybe CBS could throw us another bone, and move Survivor to Tuesday this time around (before TAR7), and we could get another little Survivor boost for a few episodes. In the past those boosts have tended to continue to provide benefits (in number of viewers) even in weeks after the boost is over.

Anyway, YAY for more TAR. Not sure about the details of it all. But, YAY nonetheless.
    Last edited by John; 01-21-2005 at 09:10 AM.
    There are three cigars in the humidor --- My yo-yo has no string --- Isn't that rather misshapen?
    It's supposed to bend that way, I'm Italian! --- I bring new meaning to the phrase 'Blown out of proportion'! --- My puzzle has one piece missing

Thanks, TAR4 ATC Dave and TAR4 ATCSteve!

I think CBS is really trying to compete with FOX at this point for the viewership. I know that a lot of us watched TAR instead of American Idol last night. I wouldn't be surprised if this was planned the whole time. By having the two famewhores on it I guess they're hoping that it draws more viewers away from FOX.

Buffy: What is this?
    Willow: A doodle. I do doodle. You too. You do doodle, too. ("Gingerbread")

Xander: Damn it! You know what? I'm sick of this crap. I'm sick of being the guy who eats insects and gets the funny syphilis. As of this moment, it's over. I'm finished being everybody's butt monkey! ("Buffy vs. Dracula")

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    I was hoping for a May premiere and an August finale like TAR4. It's funny, because I remember the days when we were all worried when TAR was going to air again, and then would get mad when CBS would push it back. Now it looks like the opposite is happening. Oh well, I'd rather have too much TAR than no TAR.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Goten
    Anyway, I'm happy that they are having TAR7 so soon. I really HATE the times when there is no Survivor, TAR, or BB. The more TAR, the better, to me.
    Same here, as well. If CBS could get into a cycle, we probably wouldn't be having this discussion that TAR is coming too soon after the previous season. It could go along the lines of Survivor, then shortly after that TAR, then Big Brother for example. BB is the only show with a nine month hiatus, and that's likely because of the time it takes to go through a season. A cycle would give us a reality show almost all year.
    Last edited by John; 01-21-2005 at 09:11 AM.

FORT Fan
    As has already been mentioned, CBS likely only aired TAR4 in the Summer because it was on its last legs and would likely have been canceled if viewers did not respond.

The success of TAR4 led to TAR5 the following Summer and the current TAR6. If TAR6 had started at the beginning of the traditional season, September, instead of November, TAR would have a roughly 6-8 week hiatus between seasons.

If CBS didn't air TAR7 this season, then it would likely have been pushed back to September 2005. The network is unlikely to waste a resurgent series on the traditionally lower viewership Summer months. By airing in March, that is the only way that TAR7 can end during the traditional season in May.

Keep in mind that CBS got cold feet about TAR6 airing on Saturday nights for the simple reason it didn't want to damage the franchise. Witness "The Will". That could very well have been TAR6 and it would have been the one canceled.

If TAR7 continues to perform well, and makes the fall schedule, then CBS will surely allow it to settle into a "Survivor"-style cycle (as long as it continues to succeed).

Regarding TAR6 almost being on Saturdays...
    I don't know. TAR has shown a remarkable resilience to almost anything thrown at it. It held its own VERY well versus Friends (albeit re-runs) during TAR4. It held its own VERY well during the Olympic weeks during TAR5. It had L&O also during all of TAR5. Most recently, during the Holiday weeks, TAR6 showed little erosion. And, even more recently this week, versus the AI premiere. FOX's additional bazillion viewers versus prior weeks for that timeslot certainly did not come from TAR viewers.

I think TAR6 would've made it okay on Saturday. It wouldn't be getting its current numbers, but it would have gotten enough to make it okay for a Saturday show. But, I'm glad it didn't have to prove itself there.
    Last edited by John; 01-21-2005 at 09:12 AM.
    There are three cigars in the humidor --- My yo-yo has no string --- Isn't that rather misshapen?
    It's supposed to bend that way, I'm Italian! --- I bring new meaning to the phrase 'Blown out of proportion'! --- My puzzle has one piece missing

Thanks, TAR4 ATC Dave and TAR4 ATCSteve!

Ok, I'm going out on a limb here. I'm excited both by TAR coming back so soon (it's my favorite show) and by [mod removed]
    Last edited by John; 01-21-2005 at 09:12 AM.

I'll remind everyone here that this thread is NOT marked as containing spoilers, and discussing contestants before the official contestant announcement IS spoilers, regardless of the source.

There's a thread around here for that discussion - use it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast