+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are they compensated during taping?

Are they compensated during taping?

I know this may be something that is answered in the fine print at the end of a show, but I always wonder how can anyone afford (especially BOTH parents -- like the married couple who won last season) to miss that much work....

Does anyone know?

Leo
    Premium Member
    I read it somewhere here before, but as far as I know they are compensated, but not a whole lot.

As for being able to afford it - basically, you have to be able to afford to take a month or so off work to come on TAR. No one who comes on the show is seriously hurting for money.

Besides, even in the worst case of a very early Philimination, it's still a month-long (or so) vacation on CBS's dime. Sure, you're not making any money, but you're not spending large amounts on airfares, hotels, etc... it's not such a bad deal.

Thank you, Leo

I am sure I am not the only lurker in this forum who has wondered this before...

From what i read before, you are commtitted to 6 to 7 weeks when you start the race.
    The racers are paid a SAG (screen actors guild ) minimum of about $150 per person per episode. I think I read they ended up after taxes with about $1500 a piece.

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by park_ave_teach
    Thank you, Leo

I am sure I am not the only lurker in this forum who has wondered this before...
    You might want to check the "Everything you wanted to know about TAR" thread. This thread is in the forum for previous TARs. I believe you can find it in the graveyard. Former racers Dave & Steve (the air traffic controllers from season 4) answer a lot of questions like yours.

Wow. $1500 for 7 weeks. That is HALF my salary!!! I would not be able to afford to go.... how sad. I thought teachers were paid low, but it looks like actors suffer, too...... at least if they only work this infrequently....

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Well, they all get prize money, if that's what you mean. Second place gets $50,000, third place gets $25,000, and I'm not sure what the rest get. But heck, some of the people on Survivor get more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott
    Well, they all get prize money, if that's what you mean. Second place gets $50,000, third place gets $25,000, and I'm not sure what the rest get. But heck, some of the people on Survivor get more than that.
    Are you sure about that? I thought there was only one prize--the million dollars at the end. Since the first season, they've started to add more trip packages for winning a leg, but that's it. If there are dollar prizes awarded for coming in 2nd, 3rd, etc., I'd love to know where you found this out.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Are you sure about that? I thought there was only one prize--the million dollars at the end. Since the first season, they've started to add more trip packages for winning a leg, but that's it. If there are dollar prizes awarded for coming in 2nd, 3rd, etc., I'd love to know where you found this out.
    I've read different articles here and there. I know when Tara & Wil finished second, an interview Wil did said they won $50,000 (and that's combined, not $50,000 each.) Same with Colin & Christie. I can link them if you want. I also think Andre & Damon said they got $17,000 for finishing 6th, but that I'm not sure on.

FORT Fogey
    Yeah, I heard Brandon & Nicole won $25,000 combined for finishing in 3rd.

I heard elsewhere that Amanda & Chris lost money from doing TAR but they were the 2nd team out so that's probably why.

It's probably why some college students do the show. It's a great way to possibly earn money to afford college and you aren't losing money that you'd make at your job.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast