+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: 01/11 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

I think it's important to keep in mind that TAR is soooo much more than who gets Philiminated each week. Flight schedules can't be controlled and hours of operation shouldn't be.

The tasks have been terrific and the views are wonderful. Watching the racers deal with everything is a big part of why I tune in and I've been well entertained so far.

Quote Originally Posted by dberk
    The tasks have been terrific and the views are wonderful. Watching the racers deal with everything is a big part of why I tune in and I've been well entertained so far.
    Thanks for the perspective, dberk.

I agree, I'm getting a fresh view at different cities and it has given me the desire to visit Budapest. What a beautiful city!

Anachronism before Noon Cat Bowling Champion Anemic Dog's Avatar
    We're lucky. We have a specific channel on our cable system dedicated to travel.

Now, if I ever go to Germany, it would be nice to tour the specific street where Jon and Victoria had their meltdown. Perhaps there's already a bronze plaque in the area commemorating the event.

If TAR is so much more than an ordinary reality show, then why not mention in the episode preview whether there's going to be an elimination or not? Why are they afraid to tell us? Why do they feel we need this artificial sense of suspense?

With better scheduling, I'm sure they'd have no trouble working around the airplane and working hours issues naturally.
    Passing over to the Dark Side

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    Now if only you hadn't added that little graphic at the end, SOMEONE might have taken you seriously.
    Sorry, I'll eat my puke back like Freddy. I changed my signature to reflect my "love" for this wonderful pair!

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by Anemic Dog

If TAR is so much more than an ordinary reality show, then why not mention in the episode preview whether there's going to be an elimination or not? Why are they afraid to tell us? Why do they feel we need this artificial sense of suspense?
    Because it would ruin the suspense if they told us it would be an NEL in advance. It's not like they tell the viewers which Bachelor is going to be eliminated next. Nor did they tell the viewers that Trump was going to fire 2 people in one episode (season 2). They're not going to show all the cards and nor should they. Watching the journey is part of the fun, as dberk says. But seeing who gets eliminated, or who gets spared by the NEL, is part of the fun too. And I would hazard a guess that 99.9 % of the viewers would not want to be told that the upcoming round is an NEL.

MrsCWebb - your signature -

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Cwebb
    Sorry, I'll eat my puke back like Freddy. I changed my signature to reflect my "love" for this wonderful pair!
    Now that is really taking one for the FORT team. Bless you.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL
    Because it would ruin the suspense if they told us it would be an NEL in advance. It's not like they tell the viewers which Bachelor is going to be eliminated next. Nor did they tell the viewers that Trump was going to fire 2 people in one episode (season 2). They're not going to show all the cards and nor should they. Watching the journey is part of the fun, as dberk says. But seeing who gets eliminated, or who gets spared by the NEL, is part of the fun too. And I would hazard a guess that 99.9 % of the viewers would not want to be told that the upcoming round is an NEL.

MrsCWebb - your signature -
    Yeah, if I'm not mistaken, there has been non elimination legs in each of the seasons, hasn't there? At any rate, they are an established part of the show, and I'm not bothered by them. I mean I'm bothered when it saves a team I don't like, but its another aspect to the show which adds a little bit more unpredictability. I'd like them to come up with another punishment instead of taking their money though, which is a bit lame.

It's a bit extreme to say I'm just one in a thousand in my dislike of NELs. I'm probably in the minority here - considering we're mostly hardcore reality television fans.

While the show is doing well, who's to say it wouldn't do better without the NELs? I don't think it's even a given that the majority of people who are just casual reality fans like the artificial suspense of not knowing whether it's an NEL or not.

Have any surveys been done on this issue? Because that 99.9% figure seems beyond absurd. I'll see if I can start one here.

I doubt there have been any "surveys," because most people who have watched the show for a long time just accept it as part of the rules. To me it's as trivial as the rule that a clue has to be read out loud. It's just something that happens on the show.

Suspense is a good thing.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I guess I don't understand why people have to make the assumption that everyone else thinks the way they do. It doesn't make your argument any stronger.

For me, the show has had an awful last seven weeks, and I've made what's a very difficult decision: I'm not going to watch any more. This is a show I've watched regularly for years now. I've enjoyed it, but always hated the NELs.

This season, the show seems much more poorly produced, and to have so many bad episodes followed by yet another NEL Tuesday was simply the last straw.

I know others see it differently. I'm reading what you write. I've just had enough of TAR. Only the ratings for the rest of this season, and, more importantly, for next season will tell us whether the last seven weeks have cost them a lot of viewers.

+ Reply to Thread