+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Questions from a TAR newbie

Amazing Race whore
    Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy
    They do try RC but we can usually spot it a mile away. The TAR alumni () watch for time of day and they follow really closely so there aren't too many surprises about who hits the mat last. Circumstances make things very straightforward (like the older couple catching up at the ice climb) but the editors will try and play where they can.

Another thing: In addition to the Detours (both partners do it) and Roadblocks ( one partner does it but the person has to be chosen before they know what the task is) there used to be a Fast Forward (if you are the first to claim the FF you skip all tasks and go directly to the pit stop) that was available on every leg of the Race. Each team was only able to use the FF once so they had to go about it strategically. In TAR 5 they changed the rules and there were only 2 legs that had FF available.
    If a team decides to take the FF then they have to 'find' it and do a task to retrieve it. The FF is not always an advantage one team was actually eliminated because they used the FF - the tasks took a shorter time to perform than it took the team to locate the FF and get to the pit stop.
    I'm not too excited about the Yield. Last season it did help the winners win IMO.

If you're referring to Dennis and Andrew from season 3, their loss wasn't because they went for the FF. They had to fly from Mexico City to London, and all the other teams had flights except for them. Their flight was VERY far behind the rest of the teams, so, even with the FF, they were unable to catch up, as the other teams had already checked in.

Oh! I realized one more thing a newbie should know:

Road Blocks: These are tasks that only one member of the team performs. The teams are given a clue (like- the person to do this should be warm-blooded, or have a strong stomach, or fast hands) and then must decide which member will complete the task BEFORE they find out exactly what the task is. As far as I know, once they've chosen they cannot switch to the other team member. These are typically on every leg, like Detours, but they often aren't on the first leg.
    And I sing sometimes like my life is at stake because you're only as loud as the noises you make.

About the maps, I don't think anyone here (with the exception of Steve and Dave) knows exactly where they get every map. It is my belief that they will occasionaly get one with their clues, but they also buy maps at certain points.

The camera crew in TAR is often referred to as the "Amazing Camera Crew" because they truly are amazing. I don't believe that any member of the camera crews has ever been seen in an episode (exept for season 1); they are almost invisible. Certain members of the production team must stay ahead of the teams at all time. Phil must always be at the Pit Stop before the teams arrive, although he can, of course, just fly straight there. However, I think he has said in interviews that occasionaly the teams have given him a run for his money, even with the challenges and things they have to do.

Sorry if my answers aren't great, but I only have a few minutes. Hope you enjoy tonight's episode!

Premium Member
    Much obliged to all the good folks who are helping me understand the rules and nuances of TAR in such short notice!! I will be watching again tonight and if I have any questions I will be posting them...
    Oops.. sorry..one quick question, are the viewers or the racers told that it will be a non-elimination leg, prior to the start of that leg or do they find out once they reach their destination?

eny
    FORT Fogey
    They don't find out agonizingly until Phil tells them they are the last to arrive at the pit stop . They give them a few seconds to process this info and assume they eliminated (or Philiminated as the TAR regulars call it). Then Phil says Buuuuuuut and tells then it's a non- elimination round.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eny
    They don't find out agonizingly until Phil tells them they are the last to arrive at the pit stop . They give them a few seconds to process this info and assume they eliminated (or Philiminated as the TAR regulars call it). Then Phil says Buuuuuuut and tells then it's a non- elimination round.
    Thats down right cruel! hehehehehe

Amazing Race whore
    Quote Originally Posted by cable101
    The camera crew in TAR is often referred to as the "Amazing Camera Crew" because they truly are amazing. I don't believe that any member of the camera crews has ever been seen in an episode (exept for season 1); they are almost invisible.
    If you're REALLY looking, like I do when I watch an ep for the fourth or fifth time, you can spot camera guys with relative ease. They're just hidden pretty well

Quote Originally Posted by TAR4 ATCSteve
    Sure we are! We were in Vegas scoping out locations for FoRTCon 2005. Oh, and we also celebrated the new season with 14 other Amazing Racers at the Monte Carlo. Good times, especially when you win at Black Jack.
    This season should be as fun as all the others only with a lot more yelling and arguing. My guess is the favorite teams will be the ones that get along with each other.
    14 of the new Racers? Or past? Or mixed?
    There are three cigars in the humidor --- My yo-yo has no string --- Isn't that rather misshapen?
    It's supposed to bend that way, I'm Italian! --- I bring new meaning to the phrase 'Blown out of proportion'! --- My puzzle has one piece missing

Thanks, TAR4 ATC Dave and TAR4 ATCSteve!

Premium Member
    In retrospect I should have called this thread "Questions and Observations from a TAR Newbie". After last nights show I cant believe how grueling this game is, I think this leg was 30 to 36 hours long. How do they keep this pace for the duration of the game?
    After thinking about the non-elimination episodes, I don't think I like the secrecy of it, I think that may afford the Producers the opportunity to allow a team that they think might draw ratings to stay in the game, a sort of get out of jail free card. For example "Blue Hair", I would hate to see not be eliminated because of a non-elim episode.
    Quick question, the 30 minute penalty assesed to the couple last night, how common is that? Has it ever led the offending team to elimination?
    Thanks

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Roz_City
    After thinking about the non-elimination episodes, I don't think I like the secrecy of it, I think that may afford the Producers the opportunity to allow a team that they think might draw ratings to stay in the game, a sort of get out of jail free card. For example "Blue Hair", I would hate to see not be eliminated because of a non-elim episode.
    The non-elimination legs are pre-determined and I don't think the producers would exploit the secrecy to enhance ratings. For example, in the previous season, the team with the midget was a ratings drawer but they got eliminated instead of making that leg non-elimination.

Quote Originally Posted by Roz_City
    Quick question, the 30 minute penalty assesed to the couple last night, how common is that? Has it ever led the offending team to elimination?
    It happened a few times and one team got eliminated because of it (I think it was season 3) when a team of Harvard graduates misread the clue (instead of walking, they took a taxi).

+ Reply to Thread