+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TVGuide Online: Is The Amazing Race headed for a detour?

Jasmine Trias & Sam Milby NBCDaytimeFan's Avatar

TVGuide Online: Is The Amazing Race headed for a detour?

From TVGuide Online's Biz Column

Change of Pace
    Is The Amazing Race headed for a detour?

If you were looking forward to watching the next season of The Amazing Race on Saturday nights this fall, start making other plans.

The next installment of the CBS reality show was supposed to air on TV's loneliest night of the week starting in late September. But as you know, hits are hard to come by, and if you have one, you don't put it on Saturday night, when young viewers are least available.

Ratings for the last few weeks of the current Amazing Race have been near the top of Nielsen's rankings for viewers 18 to 49. If it were the regular TV season, Race would be CBS's sixth most popular show in that demographic, which is favored most by advertisers.

That's why CBS is choosing to "rest" the show for about a month or so after it wraps up its current run in a two-hour finale on Tuesday. When The Amazing Race does come back, look for it to show up in a more high-profile time period.

CBS touts itself as the most popular network among viewers in all age groups, but being able to challenge NBC and Fox for leadership in the 18-to-49 category would help the network extract millions of dollars more in ad rates from Madison Avenue.

The Amazing Race can help CBS do that.

Where could it go? Tuesday is the most likely night, where CBS's baseball-themed drama Clubhouse is the longest of long shots at 9 pm/ET. Since NBC's Father of the Pride will apparently be sticking around for a while, Race would have no reality competition in the hour.

Or if one of CBS's new comedies doesn't work out, The King of Queens can return to Mondays, and Race could move into the Wednesday 9 pm slot, against ABC's The Bachelor, which is starting to fade.

Then there's Friday, where the new 10 pm drama dr. vegas is expected to be a tough sell.

Needless to say, CBS will have some options. Failure is inevitable when a new fall season rolls out. But rarely does a network have a weapon as potent as The Amazing Race to pull out when it happens.

Ugh bummer, I fear that they're going to make a dumb decision as to what to do with it and because of that lose their main viewing audience. Oh well I suppose...
    Big: You know, Manhattan has a lot of beautiful women.
    Carrie: What an amazing observation!
    Big: But the thing is, after awhile, you just wanna be with the one who makes you laugh.
    ~ Sex and the City

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    I hope not Friday, because I think that night is worse than Saturday. Tuesdays at 9 would be okay with me. I figured that CBS was probably waiting to see where it fails on the schedule, or where other networks fail.

Well, at least we only have a month between TAR's (I hope i don't jinx it) as to in Big Brother, you have to wait a whole YEAR!

But it is disappointing. But hopefully TAR will find a better time slot than on Saturdays...
    Favorite Reality Tv Quote Ever:
    "You have to do it. You have to accomplish your dreams." - Charla, The Amazing Race 5

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by karalott
    I hope not Friday, because I think that night is worse than Saturday. Tuesdays at 9 would be okay with me. I figured that CBS was probably waiting to see where it fails on the schedule, or where other networks fail.
    Saturday is a pretty dismal time period to play it in. Most of the networks don't even play new shows on Saturday - its all movies. Tuesdays at 9 would be good with me, too.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by NBCDaytimeFan
    But rarely does a network have a weapon as potent as The Amazing Race to pull out when it happens.
    Heh, that's a good line.
    Colin and Christie or bust!

Update: Avatar = pic of me now!

Leo
    Premium Member
    Weren't some of the first TAR seasons up against the Bachelor?

I'm sick of the Bachelor. The last one I watched was the Bob season, which about 1/3 way through, I could barely stand to watch. So putting it on against that would be fine with me! Actually, I'd love it if they'd put it on Thursdays right after Survivor, but I know that will never happen b/c that's CSI's timeslot. Leaving it where it is would be a good idea, I think, since these are the best ratings the show has had. So why not just keep it at Tuesdays at 9:00?
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

There are only a handful of shows that it would upset me to see TAR against... of course most of the are ON CBS, so it's a moo (to quote Joey) point.

I would prefer it was on at 8 or 9 as I am more likely to be able to stay awake Plus I think it's a family friendly show (much more so, than the often on at 8 Big Brother)
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

FORT Newbie
    I am bummed that they're pushing TAR6 a month.

I'm going to comfort myself with Phil's new show on Discovery, tho.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast