+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TAR5 : Priceless destinations **Destination spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by CCL
    Hmmm... I notice Canada is "very cold" but Denver is just "cold." Should I as a Canadian be offended by such stereotypes?
    I have a lot of Canadian friends who are warm and cuddly, but I have more American friends who are just plain cuddly.
    Halfway around the world, I greet you "Mabuhay!"

Quote Originally Posted by dragonman64
    TAR5 is shaping up to be the most rugged and demanding season of this long-running reality TV show.
    Quote Originally Posted by TAR4 ATC Dave
    I actually am going to disagree with just this part of your statement. In terms of 'rugged' and physically demanding, I'm pretty sure that TAR4 had them hands down. While our route might not have been as scenic, it was by far and away a lot tougher.
    I'm going to go several steps further and say that TAR5 is the least "rugged and demanding" of all the seasons, imo. With the spoon-fed transportation, the relatively short distances covered within a country, the absence of real "clues" that need to be figured out, and a definite lack of intra-leg navigational challenges, TAR5 is coming off more like TAR-Lite.
    I must have thought of rugged, difficult and demanding racers like Colin & Mirna when I posted that.
    Tara & Wil? Flo? Nuff said!

while Manila and Palawan serve as reminders that there is more to Asia than meets the eye.

All things considered, the final 3-4 teams (even including the Twins) for TAR5 definitely had a wild, enjoyable free ride to different parts of the world they are not likely to prioritize in their personally-financed travels.
    dragonman64...what part of last nights show took place in Palawan? I'm just curious because that's the answer (at least I'm 99% sure it is) to a trivia contest that's going on at my work.

Quote Originally Posted by jette66
    dragonman64...what part of last nights show took place in Palawan? I'm just curious because that's the answer (at least I'm 99% sure it is) to a trivia contest that's going on at my work.
    Last night's episode was centered on Manila. Palawan will be featured next week during the first hour of the season finale.

Leo
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGuy
    I'm going to go several steps further and say that TAR5 is the least "rugged and demanding" of all the seasons, imo. With the spoon-fed transportation, the relatively short distances covered within a country, the absence of real "clues" that need to be figured out, and a definite lack of intra-leg navigational challenges, TAR5 is coming off more like TAR-Lite.

Tara & Wil? Flo? Nuff said!
    I have to agree. Back in TAR 3, it was clear the legs took some time; the teams had to book rooms in motels, etc. Even in TAR 4, that was true.

Compare this to the last leg. The teams arrived in Manila around ten in the morning; the teams got back to the Coconut Palace around dusk, in Colin and Christie's case. Sunset in Manila during January and February is around six in the evening.

I don't exactly know where the jeepney assembly took place, but the town of Victoria is around an hour from the borders of Metro Manila. That's by private car, so it's closer to two by bus. (The Manila metropolitan region is actually a collection of more than a dozen cities and municipalities, collectively known as Metro Manila.)

It's likely some of the teams may have spent an hour or more in traffic, so of the eight hours at least three, and maybe as much as five were spent travelling. Three hours spend doing tasks, and that's considered one leg? Not very impressive.

I agree with everyone who has said this season has been the least demanding.

In prior seasons teams had to find a certain man in a certain location and not just get told where the location is.

In other seasons they just had a flag and they had to get to their destination. To me this makes the teams think which I really like.

Quote Originally Posted by wildredsea
    I joined TAR late in the game...I have only seen this season and last season. I can't tell you how much I LOVE TAR, it borderlines on obsession...
    There, there, it's okay. Stick with it, and it will no longer border on obsession, it will truly be an obsession.

Good for you -- getting friends, family, co-workers, strangers-on-the-street, etc, involved in our obsession. I think I have been responsible for a few new ones too lately. Although they may have been passive TAR-ists before, I brought them up a notch and made sure they were true devotees. Ahhh, it feels good to give, and help others see the light.

edited to add
    Concerning the rigors of TAR5 vs others. I haven't noticed it being too much easier, but yes some easier. MrsCGET has been saying for *several* weeks now though that the Racers look less worn. I'd have to agree a bit, so it must be easier. Remember TAR1 -- Nancy and Emily were on death's door it seemed near the end. There were several times when even Rob/Brennan looked beat. More recently, Chuck/Millie seemed exhausted. No one on TAR5 seems completely spent.
    Last edited by CantGetEnufTAR; 09-16-2004 at 02:57 PM.
    There are three cigars in the humidor --- My yo-yo has no string --- Isn't that rather misshapen?
    It's supposed to bend that way, I'm Italian! --- I bring new meaning to the phrase 'Blown out of proportion'! --- My puzzle has one piece missing

Thanks, TAR4 ATC Dave and TAR4 ATCSteve!

Quote Originally Posted by CantGetEnufTAR
    There, there, it's okay. Stick with it, and it will no longer border on obsession, it will truly be an obsession.
    Heh, I know I am obsessed with the show. Especially now, this wait until Tuesday is excruciating!
    Colin and Christie or bust!

Update: Avatar = pic of me now!

Phillippines didn't look pretty to me, although it was grueling! Good place for TAR to visit, not always to pretty places.

I never thought I would be actually obsess with a tv show. Especially a reality one. But TAR really gotten into me, is like a part of my life really.

Quote Originally Posted by Bianco
    Phillippines didn't look pretty to me, although it was grueling! Good place for TAR to visit, not always to pretty places.
    Should I feel slighted by this comment from Bianco? Admittedly, my country is not as scenic as New Zealand or Switzerland :rolleyes but it does have plenty of wonderful places to visit (which you should hopefully see in next week's episode when El Nido, Palawan is showcased during the first hour of the season finale) that can no longer be fitted into the course of the race. It's a pity some viewers (especially those who have little knowledge of the country) seem to generalize Manila (the capital) as encapsulating the whole look and feel of its more than 7,100 islands. There is so much more to appreciate here than what limited spots were included during the 11th episode.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast