+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Week 10 Ratings: TAR gets 7.0!!!

Do the Bartman! Sonic-TARmaniac's Avatar
    FINAL Nielsen Ratings for TAR in Viewers and Adults 18-49:

Adults 18-49: 5.1 ... really great! Highest since awhile (by that I mean previous seasons).
    Total Viewers 10.85 million ... 2nd highest viewed episode.

Can't find Rating/Share...trying to though.

FORT Fan
    I found this a rather telling statistic about this week's two Emmy-nominated reality series, "The Amazing Race" (which is also Emmy winning) and NBC's return of "The Apprentice".

One would expect Donald Trump to swamp CBS's underappreciated "Race", but that wasn't necessarily the case. Consider these facts...

*During its first season, "Apprentice" averaged 20.7 million viewers. 18.5 million viewers watched its series premiere back in January 2004.

*During its first four seasons, "Race" has averaged between 8 and 10 million viewers. So far this summer, despite facing Olympic competition (literally!), "Race" is on track to achieve its highest rated season to date. Only 1 episode so far this summer has attracted less than 10 million viewers, and that episode faced off against the first week of the Athens Summer Olympics.

Now, consider these facts about this week's episodes...

*"Amazing Race"...10.8 million viewers (second highest rated episode this season)
    *"The Apprentice"...14.1 million viewers (worst showing in series history)

Despite monumental promotion during the just concluded Olympics, Donald Trump and Co. could only manage 3.25 million more viewers than the little reality show that could..."The Amazing Race".

After five seasons and some mistreatment by CBS, it would appear that finally, "The Amazing Race" is living up to its name in the ratings department.

On a side note, both these series will once again face off, along with fellow CBS reality hour "Survivor: All-Stars" and Fox's "American Idol" for an Emmy award for outstanding reality/competition series. "Race" is the defending champ, can it make it 2 for 2? We'll know on Sept. 19.

The 14.1 million viewers is the worst Thursday Apprentice showing in history. I remember when they tried Wednesday it dropped to 12.3 million viewers. But I get your point. TARs average viewers improved (+21.4%) from last year, while Apprentice went DOWN (-31.9%) from its average last year.

Also TAR has the chance to get the most emmys a reality show has. Survivor currently has 2. All TAR has to do is get 2 of the 4 nominated emmys, Survivor gets none, and then TAR is in the lead for emmys.

Also TAR had a commanding 5.1 in the Adults 18-49 category...which is what really counts. Yes, Apprentice had a 6.6, but Apprentice was the #3 show (#2 if u join the two American Idols) in Adults 18-49 last year, and getting a 6.6, which is low compared to the 13.6 adult 18-49 (WOW!) that Apprentice had for its finale in April.
    Last edited by Sonic-TARmaniac; 09-11-2004 at 01:06 AM.

Some speculation here, but the preliminary rating/share was 7.0/12, and adults 18-49 was 4.9. That means about 70% of the viewers are 18-49. Since the final adults 18-49 rating was a 5.1, that means TARs rating share could possibly be a 7.3/13, which would be the 2nd time ever TAR has recieved a 13 share, and the first time TAR has recieved a 13 share without a survivor boost!

I could be completely wrong, I just really want TAR to start going places it has rarely or never been before (13 share, 7.0+ rating, 5.0+ Adults 18-49, 12 million+ viewers...hasn't happened yet this season but I have high hopes for the finale).

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic-TARmaniac
    Some speculation here, but the preliminary rating/share was 7.0/12, and adults 18-49 was 4.9. That means about 70% of the viewers are 18-49...
    Not exactly. The two ratings (7.0 and 4.9) are from two entirely different "universes" (sample spaces).

One (the 7.0) is measured against households, the other (the 4.9) is measured against adults aged 18-49. Comparing the two together is a dangerous game, if you aren't careful.

The first (household, overall, or whatever-you-want-to-call-it) 7.0 rating is the HOUSEHOLD rating. It is the percentage of *all households* that had at least one television tuned to TAR. The number of households is currently estimated at ABOUT 110 million. So, the 7.0 rating means ABOUT 7.7 million households watched some TAR. It says NOTHING about the number of PEOPLE viewing, just households.

The second (a18-49, demographic, advertising, etc) 4.9 rating is the A18-49 rating. It is the percentage of *all adults aged 18 to 49* that watched TAR. I do not know what the exact current estimate is for the number of a18-49. However, I can say that it is in the very near vicinity of 130 million. So, the 4.9 rating means that ABOUT 6.37 million a18-49 watched TAR.

So, for this episode in question, with 6.4m viewers in the a18-49 group, and a total of about 11.0m viewers OVERALL. That means that 58% of TAR viewers were in the "target demographic" group. For reference, for weeks 4 - 8 of TAR5, this percentage was 56-55-59-58-55. So, an overall assumption could be that 55 to 60 percent of TAR5 viewers are 18-49.
    There are three cigars in the humidor --- My yo-yo has no string --- Isn't that rather misshapen?
    It's supposed to bend that way, I'm Italian! --- I bring new meaning to the phrase 'Blown out of proportion'! --- My puzzle has one piece missing

Thanks, TAR4 ATC Dave and TAR4 ATCSteve!

My bad, I thought the adults 18-49 rating was households.

Final Ratings By Nielsen...they leave out rating/share again...*grumble*...I'll have to wait until tomorrow after school...:

THE AMAZING RACE 5 (10:00-11:00PM) was first in viewers (10.85m), adults 25-54 (5.3/13), adults 18-49 (5.1/13) and adults 18-34 (4.3/13). THE AMAZING RACE 5 was the night's top rated program in adults 18-34, adults 18-49 and adults 25-54 and was the night's most watched program.

This is the best delivery this season for THE AMAZING RACE 5 in adults 18-34, adults 18-49 and adults 25-54, matches the best household delivery and is the second most watched broadcast this summer. This is the best delivery for any edition of THE AMAZING RACE in adults 25-54 since 12/18/02 (the finale of THE AMAZING RACE 3) and in both adults 18-49 and adults 18-34 since 5/15/02 (the finale of THE AMAZING RACE 2).
    Edit: It says matches best household delivery...thats 6.9 ... I had hope for it reaching 7.0.
    Last edited by Sonic-TARmaniac; 09-13-2004 at 07:03 PM.

Sonic..., ready for my crazy estimation scheme?

I had seen the 7.0 preliminary rating last Wed morning, and using the rough estimate of x1.60, I had estimated (7.0x1.60=)11.2m viewers. That was a happy estimation. If only it would hold true, or even increase!

I knew this was a little bit high though, for two reasons. First, TAR5 has only been averaging about x1.59 for the last 3 episodes, so that would bring it down to (7.0x1.59=)11.13m.

PLUS, with Nielsen recently updating its estimates of everything (higher), I figure all prior estimation methods are "off" by a little bit -- Nielsen bumped up the households by about 1%, so I figure that's a good place to start. So, I figure roughly 11.13m x 99% = 11.02m. In round terms, I was figuring on 11.00m.

When I saw your reports that the viewers were 10.85m, I was surprised since my TAR estimates are usually not off by that much.

But, since you didn't have a final household rating/share, I figured that must be the missing link that would make it all make sense again.

6.9 x 1.59 x .99 = 10.86m
    Which is spot on!

So, once again, it goes to show us that those preliminary numbers (7.0), aren't to be too heavily trusted. Even when they only change by 0.1, it makes a difference of a few HUNDRED THOUSAND viewers.

Isn't this all fun!?!
    There are three cigars in the humidor --- My yo-yo has no string --- Isn't that rather misshapen?
    It's supposed to bend that way, I'm Italian! --- I bring new meaning to the phrase 'Blown out of proportion'! --- My puzzle has one piece missing

TAR had 6.9/11 and 10,846,000 viewers. In ratings it was in a 6-way tie for 15th . In viewers it was 10th.

FORT Fan
    "Race" was even more impressive in Adults 18-49 last week (9/7)...

For the week it was CBS' highest rated series in that demographic, placing 5th. "Race" even beat heavy hitting CBS series like "CSI" and "Big Brother" among that age range.

For the record, the only thing to beat "Race" in Adults 18-49? NBC's "Joey" and "Apprentice" and ABC's NFL Football coverage, along with the NFL pre-game and post-game.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic-TARmaniac
    TAR had 6.9/11 and 10,846,000 viewers. In ratings it was in a 6-way tie for 15th . In viewers it was 10th.
    As far as viewers go, sure the list says 10th place, but seriously Nielsen -- come on now.

ABC gets to split its MNF program into two pieces? WTF? A pre-game (aka "showcase") that last 7 or 8 minutes, and then the actual MNF show starts at like 8:08pm. Same freakin' viewers, don't give them two shows out of that! So, I combine those two (which both beat TAR) into one program. Which means TAR *REALLY* got 9th in viewers.

I say we get to split TAR into two shows. The "previously on TAR segment", and then the new leg of the race. Maybe even a third show could be the "next time". We could get two or three top 20 listings each week. BAH!

Then, same thing on Sunday, with Fox, and their NFL overrun. The game was scheduled to be over before primetime started, but the games ran long, so there was some game/postgame that went into primetime. So, voila, they get to count that as a primetime ratings show. Now, if the programs on *after* that had maintained that same audience (which they most certainly did not), I'd be more okay with it. This is far less minor than what desparate ABC does with their MNF, but still. I give FOX a pass on this.

So, TAR5 was 9th in viewers for Leg 10.

And, re:A18-19, jpoliver, TAR5 has consistently done stellar in this area this summer. I only have the A18-49 numbers for weeks 4-8 in front of me, but during those 5 weeks, TAR5.......
    * lost to CSI, 2 times, but during those 5 weeks TAR avg was 5.68m, while CSI avg was 5.64m!
    * lost to Trading Spouses (the premiere I think), 1 time by 0.2m -- the next two wks TAR increased each wk and TS lost 1.0m per wk!
    * lost to Simple Life 2 (the finale btw), 1 time by 0.2m
    * and of course lost to every broadcast of Olympics

As far as BB5, during those 5 weeks, it never beat TAR.
    * Tue BB avg was 4.84m
    * Thu BB avg was 4.78m

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast