+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NEL thought

Quote Originally Posted by rssrara
    I will also say that this would almost be a non issue if they had completed the task and hobbled to the pit stop. That way they would have some dignity about the entire situation and would have people remembering them fondly like Jim and Marsha rather than Osten on Survivor.
    I somehow doubt that them hobbling to the PitStop would have led to "...people remembering them fondly..."

I imagine, based on the way most people felt about them from the very beginning of this season, that nothing could have led to them being remembered fondly. They simply were too disliked to too many people. This was just icing on the cake. Or sauce on the pizza. :-)
    There are three cigars in the humidor --- My yo-yo has no string --- Isn't that rather misshapen?
    It's supposed to bend that way, I'm Italian! --- I bring new meaning to the phrase 'Blown out of proportion'! --- My puzzle has one piece missing

Thanks, TAR4 ATC Dave and TAR4 ATCSteve!

It's highly highly likely that these NEL's are predetermined. A lot of logistical planning goes into this race, and they need to know exactly how many teams will be at every pit stop, roadblock, and detours long in advance of the actual race.
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

FORT Fan
    OK - remembered fondly may be an overstatement. But they will always be remembered as "the quitters." Jeff Probst said it best when Osten up and quit: "There are too many people who try to hard to be in this game. If (he) wants to quit, so it shall be." But as a sign of lack of respect of the act of quitting, they left his torch at the place of Tribal Council and he was not part of the final 3 remembering their fellow players.

Yes, TAR does not have the "Walk of the Fallen Comrades" like Survivor does but they do have a fan base that will remember them as the quitters rather than the injured who went the distance.

Also, if they switch a NEL to a elimination leg, it is easier on production since a team will be eliminated before the plan. That is easy because it means less teams, less personnel, less cameramen and soundmen. It also will keep the next episode from being a lame duck episode. If they kept Marshall and Lance the only reason to watch would be to see how badly they would lose the next leg. JB would not want people to watch for that reason.
    Last edited by rssrara; 09-05-2004 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rssrara
    OK - remembered fondly may be an overstatement. But they will always be remembered as "the quitters."
    I had no problem with them quitting. The guy could barely freakin walk. Unless Mr. Myagi was gonna do some secret hand smack on his knee, they were done anyways. Continuing with another leg could've done even more problems to his knees. Just my .02 cents.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

I'm really THAT Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by speedbump
    I had no problem with them quitting. The guy could barely freakin walk. Unless Mr. Myagi was gonna do some secret hand smack on his knee, they were done anyways. Continuing with another leg could've done even more problems to his knees. Just my .02 cents.
    The NELs are set in advance. Lance and Marshall would have been eliminated even if they had hobbled in, so there would have been no 'continuing with another leg'. I could hardly walk after screwing up my knee in Cortina - we managed to "hobble in". (I'm not saying that makes us better than M/L, just that we finished the leg.)

Marshall and Lance are the only team ever to quit The Amazing Race. I don't think they should be remembered for anything but.

Quote Originally Posted by TAR4 ATC Dave
    The NELs are set in advance. Lance and Marshall would have been eliminated even if they had hobbled in, so there would have been no 'continuing with another leg'. I could hardly walk after screwing up my knee in Cortina - we managed to "hobble in". (I'm not saying that makes us better than M/L, just that we finished the leg.)

Marshall and Lance are the only team ever to quit The Amazing Race. I don't think they should be remembered for anything but.
    I beg to differ, Dave. I think some will remember them for the "foreigners" comment as well.

I will remember Marshall and Lance for a very long time! Maybe that's just me.

I trust that these NEL's are pre-determined. Otherwise this show will be screwed. So we shall stop these pre-determined or not NEL talks, just because probably a team that you dislike got saved!

Quote Originally Posted by TAR4 ATC Dave
    Strongly disagree with this. I liked the brothers, from start to quit, I thought they were hilarious. I don't blame them for quitting, if my knee was in such drastically bad shape with an elimination pending I would have quit too and save myself the pain. Should they have finished? Should Marshall have sucked it up and walked to the pit stop? Absolutely. But should he subject himself to more pain only to have the effort wasted for no reason other than not being remembered as "The only team ever to quit"? Absolutely not.

-Dave_B
    Colin and Christie or bust!

Update: Avatar = pic of me now!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_B
    Strongly disagree with this. I liked the brothers, from start to quit, I thought they were hilarious. I don't blame them for quitting, if my knee was in such drastically bad shape with an elimination pending I would have quit too and save myself the pain. Should they have finished? Should Marshall have sucked it up and walked to the pit stop? Absolutely. But should he subject himself to more pain only to have the effort wasted for no reason other than not being remembered as "The only team ever to quit"? Absolutely not.

-Dave_B
    Dave - I have to agree with you. Just because they quit maily due to Marshall's knees doesn't mean they shouldn't be remembered. Marshall was obviously in a lot of pain.

Having experienced excruciating pain in my knee, I can relate. It was painful to watch him force himself to take each step.
    Terri

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast