Closed Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Is Amazing Race an embarrasment for American people?

Premium Member
    Thanks y'all. Whew - glad I got that off my chest.

You are 100% correct, Surprisetwist. I couldn't have said it better myself.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Captain of the World
    While I agree with Supertwists comments, the sad thing is that many people do see Americans as arrogant. Having lived abroad for more than 2 years it was pretty obvious. The funny thing was even though a lot of people hated Americans, the fact of the matter was they were willing to do anything to come here. I can't tell you how many times I had women wanting to "get to know me better" because I was an American.

They didn't realize that I spoke the language fluently and could understand them when they would say to each other "Do you think he will take me back to America with him?"

Americans have a sterotype. Just like we know all Islamics are not terrorists, they unfortunatley have that sterotype.

Most every culture has a sterotype. It isn't right but it is there and the rest of the world sees America as pushy, arrogant and aggressive. The thing we can do to look better is try to adapt as much as possible to the culture when we are there. Be proud to be an American but don't flaunt it to other people.
    Never Play Leap Frog With A Unicorn

FORT Newbie
    Stereotypes and generalizations exist for a reason... they save time. We are always generalizing, filling in blanks with information from past experiences. Although I don't think it is right to accept a stereotype of a people you have never met, if the generalizations are the result of your own experiences then they are valid. I'd say the racers are no better or worse than the average American, so whatever impression they leave with the people they meet is probably an accurate reflection of what Americans are like.

Proud to be an American

Quote Originally Posted by nairb247
    ...The funny thing was even though a lot of people hated Americans, the fact of the matter was they were willing to do anything to come here. I can't tell you how many times I had women wanting to "get to know me better" because I was an American...
    So did you "get to know them better"? If yes, afterward did you speak to them in their language so they knew that you were on to their game? 'Sorry, but I couldn't resist asking.

I personally have no interest and no obligation thankfully to leave the USA. Our country has plenty to offer me in "Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations" (see Star Trek-Vulcan credo). My interest in the "outside world" is easily satisfied by reading books and watching TV (fiction and non-fiction). While I know this may give me a distorted view, I believe it's reasonably accurate. Is that too American an attitude?
    Last edited by dberk; 09-11-2004 at 08:05 PM. Reason: missed title

Captain of the World
    So did you "get to know them better"? If yes, afterward did you speak to them in their language so they knew that you were on to their game? 'Sorry, but I couldn't resist asking.
    Naahhh, I was a happily commited man at the time and never once did. Although I have some hilarious stories. Those are probably better suited for another board.

While I sit here and preach being accepting and nice, the stress of the race probably makes a lot of people act differently. The one bit of advice I would give to anyone traveling abroad is things are just different. It doesn't make them right or wrong - just different. Accept that before you go and you will be better prepared. There is a beautiful world out there and I want to see it all, I want my kids to see it all but I also want them to understand that they aren't better than anyone because of where they live, however they are fortunate in many ways to live where they do. I would hope it would make them appreciate where they are from even more without being arrogant about it.
    Never Play Leap Frog With A Unicorn

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    I think this is REALLY getting off the intended topic here and is going WAY beyond discussion of the show itself.

This seems a topic more suitable for Current Events, and if it continues down this path will be closed in this forum and can be resumed there.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678