Closed Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Is Amazing Race an embarrasment for American people?

I'm really THAT Dave
    And then there was the train Nazi from Cortina to Venice - which you folks never saw. Ahhhh, good times.

Dave

It could be worse; we could be French

Places like France where tourism is one of their highest moneymakers should be warm and welcoming; after all it is their livelihood. However to say the French are rude has practically become an American expression. I mention this here, because to my knowledge France is not a 3rd World Country and American or not we shouldn't be treated like bad fish there.

I don't have a problem with the locals in poor countries on AR overcharging-within reason. If memory serves, that $100 cab ride covered quite a distance. What would we have had to pay in the US?

The pizza boys were an embarrassment with their comments about the locals, the locations and the other contestants. Ditto for Colin the intolerable, but I don't remember Charla and Mirna doing or saying anything unacceptable.

I also believe that the cameras following the contestants affect the way they are treated. Many people enjoy being filmed (ex: pushing the fake taxis). On the other hand, people don't want to be filmed doing something wrong/illegal which has probably helped them in potentially unpleasant situations. (ex: Colon would probably be in jail now, if the entire taxi payoff hadn't been filmed-pity).

I also agree about appropriate dress based on the country and situation. The contestant that was shook up about the men leering at her in her skimpy little tank top and touching her on the train should have made a better wardrobe choice. The cameras also provided her with some protection.

Other than the train and slums, Calcutta must be a relatively safe place for beautiful skinny women in tank tops. The production team wouldn't just send them to places without serious warnings on dress codes. I really don't think it's an issue except for a few countries.

I think that the men on the train wouldn't just jump the girls with three other guys around them and their cameras. It was obvious these weren't hookers, they weren't alone, and they got upset w/ being stared at, so the men didn't advance.
    Big: You know, Manhattan has a lot of beautiful women.
    Carrie: What an amazing observation!
    Big: But the thing is, after awhile, you just wanna be with the one who makes you laugh.
    ~ Sex and the City

Quote Originally Posted by TAR4 ATC Dave
    And then there was the train Nazi from Cortina to Venice - which you folks never saw. Ahhhh, good times.

Dave

<---(that's a Posting Referee Smilie, and he is blowing his whistle at you, Dave. You can't just tease like that. You must divulge the entire story. Don't make us take away your )
    There are three cigars in the humidor --- My yo-yo has no string --- Isn't that rather misshapen?
    It's supposed to bend that way, I'm Italian! --- I bring new meaning to the phrase 'Blown out of proportion'! --- My puzzle has one piece missing

Thanks, TAR4 ATC Dave and TAR4 ATCSteve!

USA's stock on the rise

Alert the foreign stock exchange, the twins are gone. This should improve our standing and as a bonus we won't have to hear them tell us how cute they are - paleeeese! Give them both a sandwich so they aren't mistaken for stick figures and make-up so they don't look 10 yrs older than they are.

*Embarassment* is kind of harsh. In viewing the incidents that we've been discussing (the M & L "foreigners" comment, the cabdriver debacle) one would hope that viewers AND racers would realize that when travelling in foreign countries, the best course of action is to respect different cultures and attitudes, and to behave accordingly.

Remember, the people who live in those countries don't give a rat's a** that the competitors are in a race to win money, nor should they have to make any special considerations or accomodations to suit the racers or CBS. Respect, people, respect. You would expect it from visitors to your home country. Do unto others.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by steff
    Yea it was in singapore, my home country! Of course I remember that episode and my favorite team jv&j were eliminated... Sorry im going off topic.
    I lived in Singapore for a year, and I was thrilled to pieces to see that bit with that actor. (Who I always think of as "The Ice Kachung Man" which will only make sense if you've seen that TV show.)

If there were a television show broadcast with people from other countries racing around the world, I'm sure we'd find an equivalent number of people to cheer for, people to hate, people to laugh at.
    Absolutely.

And, learning about and understanding different cultures goes both ways - or it should. For example, I believe that one of the main reasons Americans are perceived to be "arrogant" is that we're outspoken - which is part of our culture, and not part of other cultures. It is a cultural difference, not some kind of shortcoming.

I am currently leading a class discussion on cross-cultural issues and I regret having deleted the Africa segment from my Tivo. I'd love to show it to the class in the context of how Americans act in other countries.

So does anyone have a copy of that segment? If so, please PM me.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bamabrain
    I.... I'd love to show it to the class in the context of how Americans act in other countries.
    But, these aren't ordinary Americans touring a country - they're crazed and fatigued racers zooming through tasks for a chance at a million dollars. It's like the opposite of showing - say - footage of the Peace Corp in action.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast