Closed Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Is Amazing Race an embarrasment for American people?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Uhm, when did they race through someone's living room?
    Quote Originally Posted by TAR4 ATC Dave
    Wasn't that in season 2 - when they had to find the apartment and meet the local TV personality?
    That's right, Dave. Except it was TAR3, not 2. Don't remember the country, or the name of the TV Personality. But it was in a district of some city where a bunch of streets had the same name. I think JV&J had trouble finding it and fell to last place. Also, I believe this was the site of yet another Floment. Zach was trying to share a map with Oh Brother, and she didn't want him to, or something like that.

edited to add quotes from previous posts
    There are three cigars in the humidor --- My yo-yo has no string --- Isn't that rather misshapen?
    It's supposed to bend that way, I'm Italian! --- I bring new meaning to the phrase 'Blown out of proportion'! --- My puzzle has one piece missing

Thanks, TAR4 ATC Dave and TAR4 ATCSteve!

I think they were in Singapore. They're supposed to find this comedian.

Back to the topic. I don't expect Westerners to come riding the same local transportations that the AR teams used. Rather, I hope they visit the landmarks and places they saw in the series.

Of course... the AR contestants are not Lonely Planet hosts, but at least you can be a part of that adventure.

The Sydney bridge, the Ganges River, Roxas Blvd., that Russian warship, the Peron tombs...

Another thing about traveling in foreign countries is to be aware of appropriate clothing. Showing legs and cleavage is very inappropriate in some cultures. TAR should advise contestants of what is acceptable clothing. It would make it a lot easier for some contestants if they knew more about the customs of the countries they're going to visit.

Clothing choice is not what an American would see as being ugly ( an American may see clothing as being comfortable, or fashionable ), but a local could be very insulted. It's a fine line sometimes, to be offensive through not knowing, when there is no intent to be offensive.

I don't see how such a limited show such as TAR, viewed primarily in the U.S. and parts of Canada by a small porportion of the people who spend their evening watching television is going to have much of an effect on how people around the globe perceive us.

I don't consider the fact that the race has flags figuratively in the "living rooms" of foreign locales to be something that ought to be condemned; I figure the show has spent more than a few bucks to do so, and I have yet to see someone shaking their fist at contestants simply for being part of this show.

Consider the taxis without engines in Calcutta. I was rather surprised at first that bystanders were as inclined as they appeared to be to push the hulks about, and there didn't appear to be any cash changing hands. There was a group of people that didn't seem to put out by the foreign types looking down on them. It kind of made up, IMO, for the obligatory(?) groping that seems to take place on the trains.

Reality tv isn't restricted to America. Because of the cost effectiveness, it wouldn't surprise me if there are similar shows in other nations that we aren't aware of simply because we are here, not there. I'll bet if there are foriegn conterparts to something like TAR that the contestants are every bit as stressed out and pushy as any 'ugly' American racer.

FORT Newbie
    Yea it was in singapore, my home country! Of course I remember that episode and my favorite team jv&j were eliminated... Sorry im going off topic.

Honestly, this show does not change my opinion of Americans one bit. I don't think Americans are rude, arrogant, especially not the tourists. But then again, practically everyone here speaks english.

We are all human beings. There are always the more rude ones and the more polite ones. It cant be helped; it's human nature. I'm sure the racers were frustrated. They are in a race for a million dollars!

Dawg,

I don't think dresscode is much of a problem in Europe, Australia, NZ, South America or southern half of Africa, or East Asia.

It'd be a weird sight to see women in burkas sliding down the Wild Wadi though.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
    Reality tv isn't restricted to America. Because of the cost effectiveness, it wouldn't surprise me if there are similar shows in other nations that we aren't aware of simply because we are here, not there. I'll bet if there are foriegn conterparts to something like TAR that the contestants are every bit as stressed out and pushy as any 'ugly' American racer.
    LC, you said what I was trying to say -- only much better.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

But yes, there are a-holes in every country. We just don't see most of them on TV. A prime example, are the bus drivers in Kenya. What a ripoff to pay $100 for a bus ride, while others only paid $5 or $3. These people in foreign countries see an American and think, "We can get a lot of money from these guys." Sorry, but not all Americans are rich....
    Last edited by BravoFan; 09-06-2004 at 07:55 PM.
    Favorite Reality Tv Quote Ever:
    "You have to do it. You have to accomplish your dreams." - Charla, The Amazing Race 5

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Goten

But yes, there are a-holes in every country. We just don't see most of them on TV. A prime example, are the bus drivers in Kenya. What a ripoff to pay $100 for a bus ride, while others only paid $5 or $3. These people in foreign countries see an American and think, "We can get a lot of money from these guys." Sorry, but not all Americans are rich....
    Yes, not all Americans are rich but then not all Americans are travelling Africa followed by camera crews! They probably thought they were some sort of celebrities or something.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Goten
    These people in foreign countries see an American and think, "We can get a lot of money from these guys." Sorry, but not all Americans are rich....
    That reminds me of something that happened to friends of mine while we were all traveling in Europe. We were very poor Americans (we volunteered to be there and even paid for all our own expenses in the form of a kind of tuition payment up front) but many of us really wanted to see Europe. On our two week winter break some of our group purchased Eurorail passes with what was left of their money. They traveled all over on the pass, sleeping on the train and eating what little they could afford. In France, they discovered that the next train wasn't leaving until the next day, and they didn't have enough money left over to get a hotel. They tried to sleep in the train station, but a guard told them they would have to leave. They finally found a train that was just sitting on the tracks, crept onto it, and found a compartment in which to sleep. They PLANNED to get off before the train left the next morning, but overslept. When they awoke, the train was moving and the conductor was asking for their tickets. Unfortunately, the compartment they had chosen was a first class compartment which wasn't covered under their pass. They explained the error and tried to go back to the cheaper compartments on the train, but the conductor wouldn't let them. He wanted them to pay for the first class fare. They hadn't traveled far, but he recognized their accents knew they were Americans. His preconceived notion was that all Americans were rich, and that my friends were just being cheap. He insisted that they pay, but they didn't have a franc between them and ended up having to jump train at the next stop to get away from him. I imagine that cameras or no cameras, the Kenyan bus driver might have had some of the same thoughts -- cheap rich Americans traveling in their country can afford to spend some money to help a poor working bus driver.
    We are experiencing technical difficulties...Please stand by...

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast